|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what heat do browning reactions occur?
2. What county invented cocoa powder?
3. What is another word for simple sugars?
4. What is glucose also known as?
5. In what way are batters different from dough?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are emulsion sauces?
2. Why do prunes have such a rich flavor?
3. What is puree?
4. What are differences between sauces and soups?
5. How is corn syrup made?
6. What is capsaican?
7. What is the difference between herbs and spices?
8. How does radiation heat food?
9. What are the three categories of herbs?
10. How was cane sugar made before indusrialization?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the concerns about the chicken egg industry? How have governments tried to combat these concerns?
Essay Topic 2
What makes Harold McGee such an authority on food? What is McGee's reputation in today's culinary circles?
Essay Topic 3
Why are fish seen as essential to our diets? What are the health risks surrounding fish? How should one prepare different fish?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)