|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what heat do browning reactions occur?
2. What is beer made from?
3. What fruit is a melon closely related to?
4. What is the most common grain used in bread?
5. What is the title of the eleventh chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are sugars so important in cooking?
2. Why do people prize cabbage family spices?
3. What is capsaican?
4. Why do prunes have such a rich flavor?
5. How was cane sugar made before indusrialization?
6. What is dough made of?
7. Why should one refrigerate seeds?
8. What has a lack of Vitamin B in diets led to in the past?
9. What are emulsion sauces?
10. What are the major components of wine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What impact has ON FOOD AND COOKING had on the culinary world? How do you think chefs could use the book to improve their cooking methods?
Essay Topic 2
What makes Harold McGee such an authority on food? What is McGee's reputation in today's culinary circles?
Essay Topic 3
What are the four basic food molecules? Why is it important to know the four basic food molecules?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)