|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fruit does one dry to make prunes?
2. What can one use nut skins to make?
3. What vitamin other than vitamin B are seeds likely to contain?
4. Which herb can be both sweet and bitter?
5. What is coriander also known as?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is puree?
2. What are the three categories of seeds?
3. How should one make pasta?
4. How does the author define seeds?
5. What are emulsion sauces?
6. What are differences between sauces and soups?
7. What has a lack of Vitamin B in diets led to in the past?
8. Why are sugars so important in cooking?
9. How is corn syrup made?
10. Why are citrus fruits so popular?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does McGee examine food from a scientific perspective? Why is there so little learned about food science in schools?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following countries and examine how that food has helped shape the nation's identity.
Essay Topic 3
Why is the food industry so important? How was the book received by the food industry when it first came out in 1984?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)