|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word best describes a coriander's aroma?
2. Which of the following herbs is commonly used in alcohol?
3. What do people use to thicken sauce?
4. What is the most common grain used in bread?
5. What meat is lovage usually combined with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author define seeds?
2. Why are blueberries so commonly used?
3. Why are sugars so important in cooking?
4. What is the difference between herbs and spices?
5. How should one make pasta?
6. How does one make mayonnaise?
7. Why are citrus fruits so popular?
8. How does radiation heat food?
9. Why do people prize cabbage family spices?
10. What are the major components of wine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the concerns about the the meat industry in general? How have governments tried to combat these concerns?
Essay Topic 2
What makes Harold McGee such an authority on food? What is McGee's reputation in today's culinary circles?
Essay Topic 3
What are the concerns about the fruit and vegetable industry in general? How have governments tried to combat these concerns?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)