|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What family is the tomato a member of?
2. What kind of food does the second chapter examine?
3. What should one always do to vegetables before eating them?
4. What is the second most popular vegetable in the USA?
5. What kind of meat does the author suggest people should grill?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is parsnip sweeter in the winter months?
2. What is dough made of?
3. How has McGee changed the second edition of the book?
4. How is an egg formed?
5. How does one make margarine?
6. What are emulsion sauces?
7. How should one cook poached eggs?
8. What different types of melons are there?
9. How does cooking vegetables and fruits affect them?
10. Why are fish healthy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the concerns about the the meat industry in general? How have governments tried to combat these concerns?
Essay Topic 2
What are the concerns about the fruit and vegetable industry in general? How have governments tried to combat these concerns?
Essay Topic 3
What makes Harold McGee such an authority on food? What is McGee's reputation in today's culinary circles?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)