|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is a current method of preserving meat?
2. Which of the following is classed as a custard?
3. What vitamin do people rely on fruit for?
4. What have people practiced with meat for over 4000 years?
5. What should one always do to vegetables before eating them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author think using a microwave is a bad idea?
2. What nutrients does an egg yolk contain?
3. How does one make butter from milk?
4. How should one hard boil an egg?
5. How does cooking vegetables and fruits affect them?
6. How has McGee changed the second edition of the book?
7. Why is Louis Pasteur important to the dairy industry?
8. What were the early methods of preserving meat?
9. What are roots and tubers?
10. What is the difference between winter and summer squashes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the following groups make up for the lack of meat and other products in their diets.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following countries and examine how that food has helped shape the nation's identity.
Essay Topic 3
What impact has ON FOOD AND COOKING had on the culinary world? How do you think chefs could use the book to improve their cooking methods?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)