|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an egg's shell formed from?
2. What is the name of the Japanese dish which is dipped in dough and fried?
3. From what kind of cream is ice cream made?
4. What method do people use to harden the liquid oil in margarine?
5. What kind of milk is added to help make margarine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the current methods of preserving meat?
2. How has McGee changed the second edition of the book?
3. How does one make buttermilk from milk?
4. Describe the Japanese dish Tempura?
5. Why is fruit so healthy?
6. Why is propionibacteria important in the cheesemaking process?
7. What were the early methods of preserving meat?
8. Why does the author think using a microwave is a bad idea?
9. Why is parsnip sweeter in the winter months?
10. Why is Louis Pasteur important to the dairy industry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What impact has ON FOOD AND COOKING had on the culinary world? How do you think chefs could use the book to improve their cooking methods?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the food industry so important? How was the book received by the food industry when it first came out in 1984?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following countries and examine how that food has helped shape the nation's identity.
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)