|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On which two continents can one find yams?
2. What is the disadvantage of cooking vegetables?
3. What family is broccoli a member of?
4. What does vitamin C aid in?
5. What do people add squash blossoms to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is an egg formed?
2. How does one create Creme Caramel from custard?
3. Describe the Japanese dish Tempura?
4. What are the current methods of preserving meat?
5. What is the difference between winter and summer squashes?
6. How should one soft boil an egg?
7. How should one cook poached eggs?
8. How does one make ice cream?
9. Why is propionibacteria important in the cheesemaking process?
10. Why does the author think using a microwave is a bad idea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine what you eat through the week.
1. How much do you think about what you are eating?
2. How could you improve your diet?
3. How difficult do you think it would be to change your diet?
Essay Topic 2
Why have meat products been such an important part of human development over thousands of years? Why are meat products so important in colder climates?
Essay Topic 3
What makes Harold McGee such an authority on food? What is McGee's reputation in today's culinary circles?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)