|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author state is the best way to cook large meat?
2. Which of the following is a current method of preserving meat?
3. What is the name of the bacteria in milk?
4. What country do poke and lomi dishes originate from?
5. What kind of milk does the author say can be highly toxic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are fish healthy?
2. Why is fish oil so important in our development?
3. How can raw milk become infected?
4. How does one poach a fish?
5. What are the three basic ingredients of cheese?
6. How does one make butter from milk?
7. How is an egg formed?
8. How has McGee changed the second edition of the book?
9. Why is propionibacteria important in the cheesemaking process?
10. Why does the author think using a microwave is a bad idea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What makes Harold McGee such an authority on food? What is McGee's reputation in today's culinary circles?
Essay Topic 2
What are the different cooking methods? Why is it important to examine different cooking methods? How do the different cooking methods affect the flavor of food?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following foods in the book and examine why it is important to our diets.
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)