|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of vitamin do fish and shellfish contain?
2. Why does the author think meat is different than it has been in the past?
3. What did Louis Pasteur invent in the 1860s?
4. How can one cook vegetables to avoid flavor loss?
5. Which of the following is a mold used in cheeses?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is an egg formed?
2. What nutrients does an egg yolk contain?
3. What are roots and tubers?
4. What is the difference between winter and summer squashes?
5. What causes milk to ferment?
6. What were the early methods of preserving meat?
7. Why is parsnip sweeter in the winter months?
8. What are the three basic ingredients of cheese?
9. Why is fish oil so important in our development?
10. How does one make butter from milk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why have meat products been such an important part of human development over thousands of years? Why are meat products so important in colder climates?
Essay Topic 2
Why does McGee examine food from a scientific perspective? Why is there so little learned about food science in schools?
Essay Topic 3
Examine what you eat through the week.
1. How much do you think about what you are eating?
2. How could you improve your diet?
3. How difficult do you think it would be to change your diet?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)