|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what kind of crystals is ice cream made?
2. What drug do farmers use on animalw to create the hormones needed for leaner meat?
3. What kind of potatoes are toxic to the system?
4. Which of the following is classed as a custard?
5. Which of the following depends on the flavor of the cheese?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has meat meat changed from recent history?
2. How can raw milk become infected?
3. How has McGee changed the second edition of the book?
4. How is an egg formed?
5. Describe the Japanese dish Tempura?
6. Why is Louis Pasteur important to the dairy industry?
7. Why is fruit so healthy?
8. Why does the author think using a microwave is a bad idea?
9. Why do people generally freeze fish before serving it raw?
10. How does cooking vegetables and fruits affect them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the concerns about the the meat industry in general? How have governments tried to combat these concerns?
Essay Topic 2
What makes Harold McGee such an authority on food? What is McGee's reputation in today's culinary circles?
Essay Topic 3
What impact has ON FOOD AND COOKING had on the culinary world? How do you think chefs could use the book to improve their cooking methods?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)