|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What have people practiced with meat for over 4000 years?
2. Which of the following is an example of a starchy tuber?
3. What kind of vitamin do fish and shellfish contain?
4. What continent did sour cream and buttermilk originate from?
5. How can one cook vegetables to avoid flavor loss?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are fish healthy?
2. How does one poach a fish?
3. What nutrients does an egg yolk contain?
4. What are the current methods of preserving meat?
5. What are the three basic ingredients of cheese?
6. How does one make butter from milk?
7. How does the author think meat has developed humans?
8. How is an egg formed?
9. What is the difference between winter and summer squashes?
10. Why is propionibacteria important in the cheesemaking process?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What makes Harold McGee such an authority on food? What is McGee's reputation in today's culinary circles?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following countries and examine how that food has helped shape the nation's identity.
Essay Topic 3
What are the concerns about the the meat industry in general? How have governments tried to combat these concerns?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)