|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What cooking method often results in tender cooked meat?
2. Which of the following is an example of a starchy tuber?
3. Which of the following is a method of drying fruit?
4. What is the name of the bacteria in milk?
5. What does the lactic acid in cheese convert sugar to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are citrus fruits so popular?
2. Why is propionibacteria important in the cheesemaking process?
3. How does one create Creme Caramel from custard?
4. How is an egg formed?
5. How does cooking vegetables and fruits affect them?
6. What is dough made of?
7. What are browning reactions?
8. Summarize the book.
9. What are differences between sauces and soups?
10. Why do prunes have such a rich flavor?
Essay Topic 1
What makes Harold McGee such an authority on food? What is McGee's reputation in today's culinary circles?
Essay Topic 2
What impact has ON FOOD AND COOKING had on the culinary world? How do you think chefs could use the book to improve their cooking methods?
Essay Topic 3
What are the concerns about the the meat industry in general? How have governments tried to combat these concerns?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)