|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What percentage of search growth occurs in the U.S.?
2. Who does Page admire for doing noteworthy studies but never profiting from them?
3. Why do advertisers like Gross' marketing system?
4. What does "URL" stand for?
5. When Gross approaches Google to sell his plan, what happens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when Google tries traditional brand marketing in 1999 and what form of public relations Google replaces it with.
2. What was significant about AltaVista.com when it was released in 1995?
3. Describe the key role that Sergey Brin played in the development of Larry Page's model.
4. What does Google call its pay-per-click program, and what does Google combine it with to get the edge over other search engines?
5. Explain the origin of the "Google" name and why it was chosen.
6. How does Battelle compare the computers on Star Trek to the search engine model in Chapter 1?
7. How did Veronica differ from Archie as a search engine?
8. In Chapter 3, who does Battelle say mainly used the Internet in its earliest days and why?
9. How does the huge success of Google's pay-per-click campaign lead to a negative reaction from its advertisers?
10. What are some of the problems Page and Brin encounter with webmasters after setting up the early stages of their search engine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Using all of the information in the book about both companies, create two different essays. One will be present a case from Google's perspective while the other will be made from Yahoo's point of view. The main topic is the cultural difference between the companies, specifically their approach to search and the way human elements and technology work.
2) After you have finished both essays, write a short conclusion paragraph explaining which side you agree with more and why.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how a search engine works. Be sure to include the most important parts and their role. Use examples from the book as a reference for each part's contribution. Also, include dates or general time frames where applicable, displaying the order of how each part was introduced, its original purpose, and whether it has maintained that purpose.
Essay Topic 3
As Google tries to keep up with the company's remarkable growth rate, Page and Brin make some key decisions.
1) Describe the decisions made with the hiring process, new people brought in, and the restructuring of Google during this time. What might have happened if the company did not make these changes? How much credit should Page and Brin receive for recognizing the need for the change and taking action?
2) Explain the Tablets and the concept behind them. Were they useful? In your opinion, should most companies have a similar template in place? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)