|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first management style that Google uses?
(a) A corporate hierarchy with a chain of command and a flattened organization.
(b) A concept that gives each employee partial ownership of the company through stocks.
(c) One that allows the owners to talk directly with the employees.
(d) One that requires all employees to report to the CEO on a daily basis.
2. The "trail of clicks" that Battelle refers to is recorded for what kind of analysis?
(a) Profitability analysis.
(b) Statistical analysis.
(c) Future or nearly real-time analysis.
(d) Weekly analysis.
3. To which existing sites do Page and Brin compare their new search engine in order to appreciate its value?
(a) Excite and MSN.
(b) AOL and MSN.
(c) AltaVista and MSN.
(d) AltaVista and Excite.
4. IdeaLab initially operates on what theory about developing new business ideas?
(a) Strategically placing new business ideas in films to test the reaction of crowds before investing in them.
(b) Producing products as they are sold to avoid large investments in each new business venture.
(c) Assembling one team to start new businesses, and reducing the time and work involved with assembling separate teams for each idea.
(d) Marketing business ideas exclusively online where startup costs are much lower than offline ones.
5. Which one of the following does not represent one of the pieces of information that the database should be analyzing to sell to clients?
(a) The products and services that Internet users are offering.
(b) The products and services that Internet users are buying.
(c) The products and services that Internet users are avoiding.
(d) The products and services that Internet users are planning to buy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Eric Schmidt initially disagree with Battelle in the potential of search engines to be used in gathering information?
2. Where did Monier end up working after AltaVista was sold and reworked?
3. How long does Schmidt take before understanding the place of a search engine and agreeing with Battelle?
4. Why was AltaVista.com groundbreaking?
5. What happens when Page tries to sell Google to other Internet companies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Page and Brin originally try to make money with Google,? What is the result and their subsequent plan?
2. Describe what happens when Google tries traditional brand marketing in 1999 and what form of public relations Google replaces it with.
3. Why do some believe that clickstream analysis technology could potentially be dangerous?
4. Briefly explain the benefits of a parallel computing system and how it is applied to Google.
5. Briefly describe the Database of Intentions.
6. In 1990, which groups of people are added to the Internet users with the introduction of Archie and why?
7. What does a crawler do?
8. In Chapter 2, what is the general reason given that people use online search engines?
9. How do search engines determine the relevance of the websites they include in the search engine return pages?
10. Describe the key role that Sergey Brin played in the development of Larry Page's model.
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)