|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What component of a search engine sends information requests out on the Internet and collects the information gathered from websites?
(a) A keyword.
(b) Website link.
(c) A crawler.
(d) The clickstream.
2. Before the World Wide Web, who mainly used the Internet?
(a) Scientists at NASA.
(b) The government.
(c) Educators at high schools and universities.
(d) A small public network of computer savvy people.
3. What does Gross file a lawsuit against Google for?
(a) Withholding payment for the right to use his business model.
(b) Attaining large numbers of Internet users at the expense of GoTo.com.
(c) Attempting to unethically lure advertisers away from GoTo.com.
(d) Patent infringement.
4. What was significant about Veronica?
(a) It listed websites in alphabetical order for easier access.
(b) It had a database that was twice the size of Archie.
(c) It used a program that connected directly to a file instead of to a computer.
(d) It was the first search engine that included keywords.
5. The estimated growth of the search engine industry is expected to reach $23 billion by what year?
Short Answer Questions
1. Search traffic typically increases during what two times of the day?
2. IdeaLab initially operates on what theory about developing new business ideas?
3. Who does Page admire for doing noteworthy studies but never profiting from them?
4. When do Page and Brin adopt Gross' model?
5. When Gross approaches Google to sell his plan, what happens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the key ingredient of GoTo.com that Google adopts to propel it towards success?
2. In Chapter 2, what is the general reason given that people use online search engines?
3. Why do some believe that clickstream analysis technology could potentially be dangerous?
4. How do search engines determine the relevance of the websites they include in the search engine return pages?
5. Describe the key role that Sergey Brin played in the development of Larry Page's model.
6. What is IdeaLab?
7. What eventually causes Google to use Bill Gross' model of advertising?
8. What was the reasoning behind BackRub for Larry Page and Sergey Brin?
9. In 1990, which groups of people are added to the Internet users with the introduction of Archie and why?
10. How does the huge success of Google's pay-per-click campaign lead to a negative reaction from its advertisers?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)