|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, A Billion Dollars, One Nickel at a Time.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do webmasters originally fear Google is doing?
(a) Using too much bandwidth.
(b) Growing too fast for the servers to keep up with.
(c) Causing the Internet to slow down dramatically because of all of the users online at the same time.
(d) Disrupting the flow of traffic at other search engine websites.
2. The basic model of a search engine has remained largely unchanged since when?
(a) The year 2000.
(b) The 1970s.
(c) The 1990s.
(d) The 1980s.
3. Before the World Wide Web, who mainly used the Internet?
(a) The government.
(b) A small public network of computer savvy people.
(c) Educators at high schools and universities.
(d) Scientists at NASA.
4. The estimated growth of the search engine industry is expected to reach $23 billion by what year?
5. What should be the fundamental goal of an Internet search, according the Battelle?
(a) To understand the habits of Internet users.
(b) To provide people with information in an efficient way.
(c) To make people's lives easier.
(d) To make advertising easier for companies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gross designs the precursor to Overture, GoTo.com, for what specific purpose?
2. For what amount is Overture finally sold?
3. Where did Monier end up working after AltaVista was sold and reworked?
4. What is the precursor to Google called when Page and Brin create it at Stanford University?
5. What percentage of search results includes paid ads for Google and Yahoo?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)