|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, The Search Economy.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much funding do Page and Brin receive from Andy Bechtolsheim?
2. What is the main idea behind the original concept of Google?
(a) To eliminate any websites from the search results that do not include at least 50 percent of relevant information to the keywords.
(b) To locate websites that provide the most text per page.
(c) To rank websites by importance as they lead back to a single Web page.
(d) To develop a search engine that can interpret the active search tendencies of its users.
3. Why was AltaVista.com groundbreaking?
(a) It listed a description of each website next to the title.
(b) It was the first search engine to remember specific data of Internet users.
(c) It contained an index of all web pages at the time.
(d) It used an advanced computer system to analyze keywords on a daily basis.
4. How does Google attempt to avoid the costly hiring spiral?
(a) It begins hiring only people their employees personally know.
(b) It consider hiring only those employees with a proven track record with other companies.
(c) It has prospective employees go through an extensive series of interviews set up by committees.
(d) It interviews people on a limited referral basis.
5. In what year did Alan Emtage create Archie, the first Internet search engine?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Google try to offer as a way to solve the major problems websites are having with its search engine?
2. After much consideration, what core value does Google adopt as its motto in 2001?
3. What key factor do Page and Brin count on to make their search engine so effective?
4. The basic model of a search engine has remained largely unchanged since when?
5. In what year was the worldwide average at 550 million searches per day?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)