|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which student in Chef Pardus's class always liked to joke about thyme?
2. What did Michael say was one of the best books he read on sauces?
3. What had the building that housed the CIA previously been?
4. What was the name of the man credited with bringing sauces out of the Middle Ages?
5. Who classified brown sauce as a mother sauce?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Michael's uncle inspire him to learn to cook?
2. How did most students feel when beginning Garde Manger?
3. What happened when Michael had no mache for his lobster salad in Chef Felder's class?
4. What was Julia Child's opinion on sauce?
5. What type of impression did Michael make on Chef Pardus when he arrived in class for the first time?
6. What was Chef Smith's demeanor like?
7. Why was Michael so upset that they had served burnt chips at lunch?
8. What fatal error did Lou make while cooking the dinner for his second term practical?
9. Why did Chef Shepard hate making club sandwiches?
10. What tasks had to be completed in the knife cuts exam?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what led Michael to enroll in cooking school. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Why did Michael feel it was important to gain insight into his instructor's lives?
Essay Topic 3
The book "The Making of a Chef" is written by a journalist who went to cooking school. Discuss how Michael's two worlds as a journalist and chef collided in the development of this book.
This section contains 1,196 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)