|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who transforms GE Capital from a purely financial business into a thriving business that uses deal-making for operational skills?
2. What kind of business is Pet Project?
3. When does David Letterman move his show to CBS?
4. How does Jack learn to play golf?
5. How does Jack plan to select a successor that the board will unite behind?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly explain how Jack decides to compete with the Japanese.
2. Why does GE find itself under investigation for its industrial diamond business and what is the result?
3. Discuss the rankings of GE's television stations CNBC, MSNBC and NBC in 2001. Why is NBC's ranking important?
4. How does Jack improve his golf game?
5. What does Jack tell General Electric employees in his final farewell address to them?
6. Briefly, why is Honeywell a good business for GE to buy?
7. What are Jack's predictions about business with China?
8. How does GE get a head start on foreign investing in Japan and what Japanese investments made GE Capital a major player in the world of finance?
9. What is "wallowing" and how does GE use it?
10. Who is Jack's successor and where is he introduced?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the scope of a work of nonfiction. What is the scope of Jack: Straight from the Gut?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of objective writing to nonfiction. Is Jack: Straight from the Gut objectively written? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
What does the tone of this book reveal about Jack personally? Define tone in your answer.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)