|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which aspect of GE's business is most successful in India?
2. What kind of acquisitions does Jack pass up in the late 1990s?
3. Which GE teams get projects improving every day performance in their current positions?
4. Who initially questions GE's quality of products and services?
5. To which former U.S. president was Roger Ailes a political adviser?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jack learn to play golf and why is the sport important to him?
2. What is GE's first attempt at globalization in India and what is the outcome?
3. Discuss the importance of "Black Belts" and "Green Belts" in the GE corporate climate.
4. What entertainment dilemmas face GE through NBC in the 1990s?
5. How and why does e-business affect GE's customer service.
6. What is "wallowing" and how does GE use it?
7. Why does GE find itself under investigation for its industrial diamond business and what is the result?
8. When does Jack begin the search for his successor, and how does he want to change the process of finding the company's next CEO?
9. As Jack reflects on his GE career, what qualities does he consider to be successful in business?
10. Why does GE pass up opportunities to acquire high-tech companies in the late 1990s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What roles do Jack's parents play in his career?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss success as a theme in Jack: Straight from the Gut.
Essay Topic 3
Irony is the contrast between what is expected and what actually happens. There are three types of irony: verbal, situational, and dramatic. Identify and discuss two different examples of irony in the book. Which type of irony are they? What is expected and what actually occurs in your examples?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)