|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was ranked as the Number 1 CEO golfer by Golf Digest?
2. What results in greater customer intimacy for GE?
3. When does David Letterman move his show to CBS?
4. Which business complements GE in various areas, but does not have products that directly overlap?
5. Which golf pro does Jack beat in a 1998 game?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jack learn to play golf and why is the sport important to him?
2. Why does GE pass up opportunities to acquire high-tech companies in the late 1990s?
3. Briefly explain why the Honeywell deal falls through and which organization is responsible.
4. Discuss the importance of "Black Belts" and "Green Belts" in the GE corporate climate.
5. How do technology and information systems change GE's service business fundamentals?
6. Why does GE find itself under investigation for its industrial diamond business and what is the result?
7. Briefly, why is Honeywell a good business for GE to buy?
8. When does Jack begin the search for his successor, and how does he want to change the process of finding the company's next CEO?
9. What is the cause of Kidder, Peabody's legal trouble when GE is purchasing it and what scandal arises after the purchase is complete?
10. What is GE's first attempt at globalization in India and what is the outcome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss success as a theme in Jack: Straight from the Gut.
Essay Topic 2
What roles do Jack's parents play in his career?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of objective writing to nonfiction. Is Jack: Straight from the Gut objectively written? Support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)