Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jack succeed as CEO of General Electric?
2. Who throws a huge party for Jack to introduce him to important people?
3. Which organization started out as a group of elitists but opened its membership and transformed into a group of volunteers?
4. How does Jack lose his college scholarship funded by the country club?
5. What does the learning/training curriculum show its participants?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly explain why the Honeywell deal falls through and which organization is responsible.
2. How does Jack learn to play golf and why is the sport important to him?
3. How does the nuclear incident at Three Mile Island affect GE's business?
4. What is Jack's unique approach to marketing industrial plastics in the 1970s?
5. What two concerns do GE board members have in appointing Jack to be CEO of the company?
6. Why does GE pass up opportunities to acquire high-tech companies in the late 1990s?
7. Why does Jack promote selling the GE Housewares division?
8. Why does the media begin to refer to Jack as "Neutron Jack"?
9. Briefly tell how employee surveys change GE in the mid 1990s and what results from the surveys.
10. What does Jack learn about discipline after he blows up one of GE's factories?
Define cause and effect. Discuss the importance of cause and effect in this book.
Irony is the contrast between what is expected and what actually happens. There are three types of irony: verbal, situational, and dramatic. Identify and discuss two different examples of irony in the book. Which type of irony are they? What is expected and what actually occurs in your examples?
What is an anecdote and what is its role in nonfiction. Specifically, what is the importance of anecdotes in this story?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)