|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack say his book is about?
2. What does Jack say he learned the hard way about hiring employees with academic pedigrees?
3. What is unique about the GE learning/training facility's curriculum?
4. How much was Jack's first pay raise at GE?
5. What is Jack's title at the new GE plastics plant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a "Work-Out" and what is its role in GE?
2. What basic ideas does Jack say he hopes his book will communicate?
3. Why does the media begin to refer to Jack as "Neutron Jack"?
4. When faced with the real world of bad business, what is Jack's plan of attack?
5. Briefly define and discuss QMI.
6. Describe the management team that Jack builds for GE.
7. Discuss Jack's thoughts on an informal work environment.
8. What is the accepted business philosophy of the 1980s?
9. As Jack gets closer to GE's big leagues, what does he learn about the company's routine employee appraisals?
10. What does Jack learn about discipline after he blows up one of GE's factories?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the writer's style in this book What determines the writer's style?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of objective writing to nonfiction. Is Jack: Straight from the Gut objectively written? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Briefly discuss the focus of Six Sigma. What is its importance to GE?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)