|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which golf pro does Jack beat in a 1998 game?
(a) Bill Gates.
(b) Tiger Woods.
(c) Matt Lauer.
(d) Greg Norman.
2. Once the investment banking firm situation is stabilized, who takes over?
(a) Si Cathcart.
(b) Jack Webber.
(c) Mike Carpenter.
(d) Jack Welch.
3. What claim against GE does the Department of Justice investigate in 1991?
(a) Price-fixing of stereos.
(b) Price-fixing of diamonds.
(c) Price-fixing of home surround sound systems.
(d) Price-fixing of TVs.
4. What results in greater customer intimacy for GE?
(a) Financial services investments.
(b) Improved public relations.
(c) Technology investments.
(d) Medical investments.
5. When does the list of candidates for Jack's successor narrow to the final three?
(a) In 2000.
(b) In 1995.
(c) In 1998.
(d) In 1999.
Short Answer Questions
1. In GE's Internet business, what is the new role of salespeople?
2. By May 2001, which established TV show is Jack's competing with directly?
3. When GE bought RCA in 1985, which national television station was included in the deal?
4. Who transforms GE Capital from a purely financial business into a thriving business that uses deal-making for operational skills?
5. When Jack reflects on things that worked for him as CEO, what tops his list?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does GE pass up opportunities to acquire high-tech companies in the late 1990s?
2. Briefly explain how Jack decides to compete with the Japanese.
3. As Jack reflects on his GE career, what qualities does he consider to be successful in business?
4. When does Jack begin the search for his successor, and how does he want to change the process of finding the company's next CEO?
5. What are Jack's predictions about business with China?
6. Discuss how GE enters the medical ultrasound field in 2000.
7. How does Jack improve his golf game?
8. Why does GE find itself under investigation for its industrial diamond business and what is the result?
9. Briefly, why is Honeywell a good business for GE to buy?
10. How does e-business change the role of a GE salesperson?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)