|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Gary Wendt's nickname?
(a) The Priest of Growth.
(b) The Kasbah of Cash.
(c) The God of Google.
(d) The Prince of Growth.
2. What does GE reduce with its Internet sales?
(b) Customer satisfaction.
3. What claim against GE does the Department of Justice investigate in 1991?
(a) Price-fixing of TVs.
(b) Price-fixing of home surround sound systems.
(c) Price-fixing of diamonds.
(d) Price-fixing of stereos.
4. What kind of acquisitions does Jack pass up in the late 1990s?
(a) Grant-funded companies.
(b) Women-owned companies.
(c) Work-from-home companies.
(d) High-tech companies.
5. Who transforms GE Capital from a purely financial business into a thriving business that uses deal-making for operational skills?
(a) Former college classmates of Jack's.
(c) Members of Elfun.
(d) Talent from GE's industrial business.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which deal secures Japanese distributor Nagase & Co. as GE's new partner?
2. On which network does Jack host his own show?
3. Who sets the tone in a company and shares the best ideas and knowledge?
4. How many candidates does Jack start with in 1994 as he seeks his successor?
5. Which aspect of GE's business is the first to introduce long-term service contracts for the company?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Jack reflects on his GE career, what qualities does he consider to be successful in business?
2. What is "wallowing" and how does GE use it?
3. Discuss the rankings of GE's television stations CNBC, MSNBC and NBC in 2001. Why is NBC's ranking important?
4. How do technology and information systems change GE's service business fundamentals?
5. How does Jack improve his golf game?
6. Why does GE find itself under investigation for its industrial diamond business and what is the result?
7. Briefly discuss how GE redefines its airplane services in 1995.
8. How does GE get a head start on foreign investing in Japan and what Japanese investments made GE Capital a major player in the world of finance?
9. Briefly, why is Honeywell a good business for GE to buy?
10. Discuss the importance of "Black Belts" and "Green Belts" in the GE corporate climate.
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)