|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When GE bought RCA in 1985, which national television station was included in the deal?
2. What kind of business is Pet Project?
(a) Obedience training for all domestic animals.
(b) Pet health and life insurance.
(c) A new plastic to make collapsible water dishes.
(d) A guideline to determine how much plastic can safely be put into pet food.
3. Which scandalous investment banking firm does GE buy?
(b) Neiman, Marcus.
(c) Kidder, Peabody.
(d) Chase, Manhattan.
4. Where are the two shops acquired by GE that reduce the company's cost of servicing engines?
(a) Japan and India.
(b) New England and Greenwich.
(c) Wales and Brazil.
(d) England and India.
5. Which business complements GE in various areas, but does not have products that directly overlap?
(c) British Airways.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jack says China is more than a market. What does he say it is?
2. Who does Jack defeat in a 36-hole golf match played in Nantucket?
3. What is Gary Wendt's nickname?
4. What does Jack want to take out of the process of selecting a successor?
5. What does Jack learn when he makes a trip to the company's facilities in Japan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What entertainment dilemmas face GE through NBC in the 1990s?
2. Briefly explain why the Honeywell deal falls through and which organization is responsible.
3. What is "wallowing" and how does GE use it?
4. Discuss the rankings of GE's television stations CNBC, MSNBC and NBC in 2001. Why is NBC's ranking important?
5. Briefly explain how Jack decides to compete with the Japanese.
6. How do technology and information systems change GE's service business fundamentals?
7. Why does GE pass up opportunities to acquire high-tech companies in the late 1990s?
8. When does Jack begin the search for his successor, and how does he want to change the process of finding the company's next CEO?
9. Briefly discuss how globalization affects GE's development and American facilities.
10. Discuss how GE enters the medical ultrasound field in 2000.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)