|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Gary Wendt's nickname?
(a) The God of Google.
(b) The Priest of Growth.
(c) The Prince of Growth.
(d) The Kasbah of Cash.
2. How does Jack plan to select a successor that the board will unite behind?
(a) By creating new board positions.
(b) By adding himself to the board upon his retirement.
(c) By deeply involving the board in the selection process.
(d) By asking the board nicely to support his successor.
3. Which country's air force benefits from laundered GE money?
(b) United States.
4. How many candidates does Jack start with in 1994 as he seeks his successor?
5. What does Jack decide is the best way to differentiate GE from Japanese companies?
(a) He promotes GE as the employer of choice for women.
(b) He appoints Anne Abaya to be head of the company's human resources in Japan.
(c) He pays a senior female employee who speaks Japanese to be in an ad campaign.
(d) All the answers are correct.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who initially questions GE's quality of products and services?
2. What is the term Jack coins for the process of people sitting down together spontaneously to hash out a complex issue?
3. What kind of acquisitions does Jack pass up in the late 1990s?
4. According to Jack, what is growing services all about?
5. Who was ranked as the Number 1 CEO golfer by Golf Digest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the rankings of GE's television stations CNBC, MSNBC and NBC in 2001. Why is NBC's ranking important?
2. How does Jack improve his golf game?
3. What entertainment dilemmas face GE through NBC in the 1990s?
4. How does e-business change the role of a GE salesperson?
5. Why does GE find itself under investigation for its industrial diamond business and what is the result?
6. How does GE get a head start on foreign investing in Japan and what Japanese investments made GE Capital a major player in the world of finance?
7. What is GE's first attempt at globalization in India and what is the outcome?
8. Who is Jack's successor and where is he introduced?
9. What does Jack tell General Electric employees in his final farewell address to them?
10. Discuss the importance of "Black Belts" and "Green Belts" in the GE corporate climate.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)