|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which aspect of GE's business is the first to introduce long-term service contracts for the company?
(a) Medical systems.
(c) Credit and financial.
2. As GE begins redefining its markets, which industry is the first to be reorganized?
(a) Financial systems.
(b) Medical systems.
(c) Computer systems.
(d) Aircraft engine.
3. Once the investment banking firm situation is stabilized, who takes over?
(a) Mike Carpenter.
(b) Jack Welch.
(c) Si Cathcart.
(d) Jack Webber.
4. Which aspect of the business complementary to GE fits well with GE's aircraft engine industry?
(a) Wireless electronics.
(b) Repair shops for plane engines.
(c) TV picture tube manufacturing.
(d) High-tech avionics.
5. What is the outcome of GE's attempt to buy the company that complements GE in various areas?
(a) It goes through easily.
(b) Jack walks away from negotiations.
(c) It goes through after much deliberation with share holders.
(d) It is blocked.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Jack compare his first 10 years as CEO?
2. Who was ranked as the Number 1 CEO golfer by Golf Digest?
3. What does Larry Bossidy present on Jack's behalf at the CEC meeting?
4. What is the term Jack coins for the process of people sitting down together spontaneously to hash out a complex issue?
5. To what does Jack credit the success of GE Capital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Jack's predictions about business with China?
2. As Jack reflects on his GE career, what qualities does he consider to be successful in business?
3. Discuss the rankings of GE's television stations CNBC, MSNBC and NBC in 2001. Why is NBC's ranking important?
4. How and why does e-business affect GE's customer service.
5. What is the cause of Kidder, Peabody's legal trouble when GE is purchasing it and what scandal arises after the purchase is complete?
6. Briefly explain how Jack decides to compete with the Japanese.
7. How does Jack learn to play golf and why is the sport important to him?
8. What does Jack tell General Electric employees in his final farewell address to them?
9. Discuss the importance of "Black Belts" and "Green Belts" in the GE corporate climate.
10. Briefly, why is Honeywell a good business for GE to buy?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)