|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jack learn to play golf?
(a) By watching others while working as a caddy.
(b) By watching videos during work hours.
(c) He took lessons from Rooney.
(d) Reg Jones taught him to play.
2. Which scandalous investment banking firm does GE buy?
(a) Kidder, Peabody.
(c) Neiman, Marcus.
(d) Chase, Manhattan.
3. Which aspect of GE's business is the first to introduce long-term service contracts for the company?
(c) Credit and financial.
(d) Medical systems.
4. When GE bought RCA in 1985, which national television station was included in the deal?
5. What results in greater customer intimacy for GE?
(a) Improved public relations.
(b) Financial services investments.
(c) Medical investments.
(d) Technology investments.
6. When does David Letterman move his show to CBS?
(a) After Jay Leno is chosen to host <i>The Tonight Show</i>.
(b) After GE buys CBS.
(c) After GE offers him large amounts of money to do so.
(d) When he learns the network wants to move his show to California.
7. How does Jack plan to select a successor that the board will unite behind?
(a) By deeply involving the board in the selection process.
(b) By adding himself to the board upon his retirement.
(c) By creating new board positions.
(d) By asking the board nicely to support his successor.
8. As he leaves his position as GE's CEO, what type of workplace is Jack certain he built for the company?
(a) A meritocracy.
(b) A monarchy.
(c) A hierarchy.
(d) A bureaucracy.
9. Where is the meeting held in which Jack gave his farewell speech?
(a) Boca Raton.
10. If bureaucracy strangles, what does informality do?
(c) Also strangles.
(d) Runs away.
11. What allows GE to expand markets and find new customers?
(b) Equal Opportunity Act.
(d) Easy Internet advertising.
12. To which former U.S. president was Roger Ailes a political adviser?
(a) George W. Bush.
(b) Gerald Ford.
(c) George H.W. Bush.
(d) Ronald Regan.
13. What plays an important role in growing GE's services?
(c) Employee health care.
(d) Expense reduction.
14. By May 2001, which established TV show is Jack's competing with directly?
(a) <i>Face the Nation</i>.
(b) <i>Larry King Live</i>.
(c) <i>Lou Dobb's Moneyline</i>.
(d) <i>Donny Deutch's The Big Idea</i>.
15. GE pays $3.5 million as punishment for its use of PCBs. What does the money fund?
(a) A governmental bribe.
(b) Smog cleanup.
(c) Landfill cleanup.
(d) River cleanup.
Short Answer Questions
1. What claim against GE does the Department of Justice investigate in 1991?
2. When Jack reflects on things that worked for him as CEO, what tops his list?
3. What is more important than strategy development?
4. According to Jack, what is growing services all about?
5. How much has the PCB levels in fish dropped since the congressional act?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)