|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Jack credit the success of GE Capital?
(a) Brainstorming sessions at Crotonville.
(b) Incredible amounts of intensity, ingenuity, and entrepreneurship.
(c) Incredible creativity, science, and research.
(d) Work-out sessions at the factories.
2. Who does Jack defeat in a 36-hole golf match played in Nantucket?
(a) Bill Gates.
(b) Warren Buffet.
(c) Frank Rooney.
(d) Scott McNealy.
3. In the Epilogue, what does Jack once again stress as important to growing a business?
(a) Reducing waste.
(c) Customer service.
(d) Increasing pay.
4. Under the company's new culture, who is rewarded with GE stock options?
(a) All who complete training.
(b) All the Black Belts only.
(c) Green Belts and above.
(d) The best of the Black Belts.
5. Which three TV shows turn around the entertainment sector of the GE-owned company?
(a) The Simpsons, Married with Children, and Get a Life.
(b) Roseanne, 20/20 and L.A. Law.
(c) Designing Women, 60 Minutes, and The Jeffersons.
(d) Frasier, Friends, and ER.
6. Which aspect of the business complementary to GE fits well with GE's aircraft engine industry?
(a) High-tech avionics.
(b) Repair shops for plane engines.
(c) TV picture tube manufacturing.
(d) Wireless electronics.
7. What results in greater customer intimacy for GE?
(a) Technology investments.
(b) Financial services investments.
(c) Medical investments.
(d) Improved public relations.
8. What does Larry Bossidy present on Jack's behalf at the CEC meeting?
(a) Six Degrees.
(b) Six Flags.
(c) Six Pence.
(d) Six Sigma.
9. How does Department of Justice investigation against GE end?
(a) Jack gets a not guilty verdict.
(b) Jack pleads guilty to a misdemeanor.
(c) The company makes a plea arrangement.
(d) The case is dismissed.
10. What kind of business is Pet Project?
(a) A new plastic to make collapsible water dishes.
(b) Obedience training for all domestic animals.
(c) A guideline to determine how much plastic can safely be put into pet food.
(d) Pet health and life insurance.
11. Once the investment banking firm situation is stabilized, who takes over?
(a) Si Cathcart.
(b) Jack Webber.
(c) Mike Carpenter.
(d) Jack Welch.
12. When melding manufacturing with financial ingenuity, what kinds of employees make the difference?
13. How many candidates does Jack start with in 1994 as he seeks his successor?
14. As Jack expands GE into globalization, what happens to U.S. jobs and facilities?
(a) They are shut down completely.
(b) They flourish.
(c) Nothing changes.
(d) They are reduced.
15. Where are the two shops acquired by GE that reduce the company's cost of servicing engines?
(a) England and India.
(b) New England and Greenwich.
(c) Wales and Brazil.
(d) Japan and India.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is more important than strategy development?
2. Who is recruited to help GE's online presence?
3. As he leaves his position as GE's CEO, what type of workplace is Jack certain he built for the company?
4. Who transforms GE Capital from a purely financial business into a thriving business that uses deal-making for operational skills?
5. What is Gary Wendt's nickname?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)