|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which program begins in 1996, changing GE's culture?
(a) Six Pence.
(b) Six Flags.
(c) Six Sigma.
(d) Six Degrees.
2. Jack says China is more than a market. What does he say it is?
(a) A fast-growing competitor.
(b) A huge obstacle.
(c) A political obstacle.
(d) Not worth selling into.
3. What attitude best describes the investment banking firm employees?
(a) Overvalued ideas about themselves.
(b) Lack of confidence due to the scandal.
(c) Winners at all cost.
(d) Backstabbing for higher raises.
4. Which scandalous investment banking firm does GE buy?
(a) Kidder, Peabody.
(b) Chase, Manhattan.
(d) Neiman, Marcus.
5. What does Jack learn when he makes a trip to the company's facilities in Japan?
(a) The women working there did not meet his standards.
(b) There are already 14 women holding key positions.
(c) There are only 3 women holding key positions.
(d) Japanese women don't want to work for GE.
6. Who is recruited to help GE's online presence?
(a) Younger Internet-savvy talent.
(b) Younger network-savvy talent.
(c) Younger computer game-savvy talent.
(d) Younger software-savvy talent.
7. Which aspect of the business complementary to GE fits well with GE's aircraft engine industry?
(a) TV picture tube manufacturing.
(b) Repair shops for plane engines.
(c) High-tech avionics.
(d) Wireless electronics.
8. How does investment banker Joseph Jett rip off the company?
(a) He takes money from the corporate safe.
(b) He installs a computer virus company wide.
(c) He makes fictitious trades to inflate his own bonus.
(d) He takes all the office supplies and leaves with them.
9. What is more important than strategy development?
(a) Hiring employees that don't demand a lot of benefits.
(b) Knowing what stock holders want.
(d) Getting the right people.
10. What plays an important role in growing GE's services?
(b) Employee health care.
(c) Expense reduction.
11. What is Gary Wendt's nickname?
(a) The Kasbah of Cash.
(b) The God of Google.
(c) The Prince of Growth.
(d) The Priest of Growth.
12. When melding manufacturing with financial ingenuity, what kinds of employees make the difference?
13. What does GE reduce with its Internet sales?
(b) Customer satisfaction.
14. In the Epilogue, what does Jack once again stress as important to growing a business?
(a) Reducing waste.
(b) Increasing pay.
(d) Customer service.
15. To what does Jack compare his first 10 years as CEO?
(b) Primary school.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years before his planned retirement does Jack begin the process of selecting a successor?
2. Which GE teams get projects improving every day performance in their current positions?
3. What kind of business is Pet Project?
4. Who does Golf Digest rank as the Number 2 CEO golfer?
5. Which three TV shows turn around the entertainment sector of the GE-owned company?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)