|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which aspect of GE's business is most successful in India?
(b) Medical systems.
(c) Financial services.
2. Who co-wrote the book that blames Jack for the broadcast company's failure?
(a) Tom Brokaw.
(b) David Letterman.
(c) Jay Leno.
(d) Grant Tinker.
3. When GE bought RCA in 1985, which national television station was included in the deal?
4. Who was ranked as the Number 1 CEO golfer by Golf Digest?
(a) Reg Jones.
(b) Jack Welch.
(c) Scott McNealy.
(d) Bill Gates.
5. Which three TV shows turn around the entertainment sector of the GE-owned company?
(a) The Simpsons, Married with Children, and Get a Life.
(b) Designing Women, 60 Minutes, and The Jeffersons.
(c) Roseanne, 20/20 and L.A. Law.
(d) Frasier, Friends, and ER.
6. To whom does GE sell its investment banking firm?
(a) Chase, Manhattan.
(c) Kidder, Peabody.
7. Which aspect of GE's business is the first to introduce long-term service contracts for the company?
(b) Medical systems.
(c) Credit and financial.
8. In the Epilogue, what does Jack once again stress as important to growing a business?
(b) Increasing pay.
(c) Customer service.
(d) Reducing waste.
9. How does Jack plan to select a successor that the board will unite behind?
(a) By deeply involving the board in the selection process.
(b) By creating new board positions.
(c) By adding himself to the board upon his retirement.
(d) By asking the board nicely to support his successor.
10. Who loves the idea of melding manufacturing with financial ingenuity?
11. When does David Letterman move his show to CBS?
(a) After GE offers him large amounts of money to do so.
(b) After GE buys CBS.
(c) After Jay Leno is chosen to host The Tonight Show.
(d) When he learns the network wants to move his show to California.
12. Which deal secures Japanese distributor Nagase & Co. as GE's new partner?
(a) The Japanese-American deal.
(b) The Japanese-American sanction.
(c) The Mitui Petrochemical deal.
(d) The NAFTA deal.
13. GE pays $3.5 million as punishment for its use of PCBs. What does the money fund?
(a) Landfill cleanup.
(b) A governmental bribe.
(c) River cleanup.
(d) Smog cleanup.
14. Where is the meeting held in which Jack gave his farewell speech?
(c) Boca Raton.
15. What does Jack say that honesty and single agendas build?
(a) Better relationships.
(c) A boring work environment.
(d) Trouble to the bank account.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which business complements GE in various areas, but does not have products that directly overlap?
2. Who is recruited to help GE's online presence?
3. What was the single biggest obstacle facing the television station now owned by GE?
4. What acquisition will delay Jack's retirement?
5. On which network does Jack host his own show?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)