|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Gary Wendt's nickname?
(a) The Kasbah of Cash.
(b) The Prince of Growth.
(c) The Priest of Growth.
(d) The God of Google.
2. In GE's Internet business, what is the new role of salespeople?
3. Which three TV shows turn around the entertainment sector of the GE-owned company?
(a) Frasier, Friends, and ER.
(b) The Simpsons, Married with Children, and Get a Life.
(c) Designing Women, 60 Minutes, and The Jeffersons.
(d) Roseanne, 20/20 and L.A. Law.
4. What is the term Jack coins for the process of people sitting down together spontaneously to hash out a complex issue?
5. What most improves Jack's golf game?
(a) Motivational yoga before hitting the greens.
(b) Breaking down the mechanics to teach his wife.
(c) Private lessons from Tiger Woods.
(d) Watching golf videos throughout the week.
6. To whom does GE sell its investment banking firm?
(a) Kidder, Peabody.
(b) Chase, Manhattan.
7. Who was ranked as the Number 1 CEO golfer by Golf Digest?
(a) Reg Jones.
(b) Scott McNealy.
(c) Jack Welch.
(d) Bill Gates.
8. How does investment banker Joseph Jett rip off the company?
(a) He installs a computer virus company wide.
(b) He takes all the office supplies and leaves with them.
(c) He takes money from the corporate safe.
(d) He makes fictitious trades to inflate his own bonus.
9. How long does it take GE to build the number 1 ultrasound imaging technology?
(a) Four years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Five years.
10. Which GE teams get projects improving every day performance in their current positions?
(a) Green Belt.
(b) Yellow Belt.
(c) Red Belt.
(d) Black Belt.
11. What results in greater customer intimacy for GE?
(a) Technology investments.
(b) Improved public relations.
(c) Financial services investments.
(d) Medical investments.
12. Who sets the tone in a company and shares the best ideas and knowledge?
(a) The employees.
(b) The CEO.
(c) Human resources.
(d) The corporate attorney.
13. What kind of acquisitions does Jack pass up in the late 1990s?
(a) High-tech companies.
(b) Work-from-home companies.
(c) Women-owned companies.
(d) Grant-funded companies.
14. How many candidates does Jack start with in 1994 as he seeks his successor?
15. Where is Jack's successor introduced?
(a) In expensive primetime advertising on ABC.
(b) At the company picnic.
(c) In a highly televised press conference.
(d) At an economic briefing hosted by president-elect George W. Bush.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who loves the idea of melding manufacturing with financial ingenuity?
2. GE pays $3.5 million as punishment for its use of PCBs. What does the money fund?
3. Who does Jack defeat in a 36-hole golf match played in Nantucket?
4. Which medical equipment becomes the fastest selling CT scan, with a tube life of 500,000 scans?
5. What was the single biggest obstacle facing the television station now owned by GE?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)