|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As he leaves his position as GE's CEO, what type of workplace is Jack certain he built for the company?
(a) A meritocracy.
(b) A monarchy.
(c) A hierarchy.
(d) A bureaucracy.
2. Jack says China is more than a market. What does he say it is?
(a) A huge obstacle.
(b) A fast-growing competitor.
(c) Not worth selling into.
(d) A political obstacle.
3. Who does Golf Digest rank as the Number 2 CEO golfer?
(a) Reg Jones.
(b) Bill Gates.
(c) Scott McNealy.
(d) Jack Welch.
4. Where is Jack's successor introduced?
(a) In a highly televised press conference.
(b) At an economic briefing hosted by president-elect George W. Bush.
(c) At the company picnic.
(d) In expensive primetime advertising on ABC.
5. What is more important than strategy development?
(a) Getting the right people.
(b) Knowing what stock holders want.
(c) Hiring employees that don't demand a lot of benefits.
6. What allows GE to expand markets and find new customers?
(a) Easy Internet advertising.
(d) Equal Opportunity Act.
7. What does Jack decide is the best way to differentiate GE from Japanese companies?
(a) He appoints Anne Abaya to be head of the company's human resources in Japan.
(b) All the answers are correct.
(c) He promotes GE as the employer of choice for women.
(d) He pays a senior female employee who speaks Japanese to be in an ad campaign.
8. Which aspect of GE's business is most successful in India?
(c) Medical systems.
(d) Financial services.
9. Which GE teams get projects improving every day performance in their current positions?
(a) Black Belt.
(b) Red Belt.
(c) Yellow Belt.
(d) Green Belt.
10. Which golf pro does Jack beat in a 1998 game?
(a) Greg Norman.
(b) Matt Lauer.
(c) Bill Gates.
(d) Tiger Woods.
11. In the Epilogue, what does Jack once again stress as important to growing a business?
(b) Reducing waste.
(c) Customer service.
(d) Increasing pay.
12. By May 2001, which established TV show is Jack's competing with directly?
(a) Donny Deutch's The Big Idea.
(b) Face the Nation.
(c) Lou Dobb's Moneyline.
(d) Larry King Live.
13. How does investment banker Joseph Jett rip off the company?
(a) He takes all the office supplies and leaves with them.
(b) He makes fictitious trades to inflate his own bonus.
(c) He installs a computer virus company wide.
(d) He takes money from the corporate safe.
14. What is the term Jack coins for the process of people sitting down together spontaneously to hash out a complex issue?
15. How many candidates does Jack start with in 1994 as he seeks his successor?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who transforms GE Capital from a purely financial business into a thriving business that uses deal-making for operational skills?
2. How does Department of Justice investigation against GE end?
3. Which GE teams get projects including improving call centers, increasing factory capacity, and reducing billing errors and inventory?
4. In GE's Internet business, what is the new role of salespeople?
5. As GE begins redefining its markets, which industry is the first to be reorganized?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)