|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much was Jack's first pay raise at GE?
(a) $1,000 per year.
(b) $100 per month.
(c) $85 per month.
(d) $1,000 per month.
2. What does the learning/training curriculum show its participants?
(a) There is no single right way and often there is an alternate, better way.
(b) Who is being considered for promotion.
(c) That the company invests a lot on training.
(d) That the company spends a lot on training.
3. In Chapter 13, when does GE deadline its goal to become a $100 billion company with $10 billion in profits?
(a) By 2025.
(b) By 2000.
(c) By 1999.
(d) By 1990.
4. Who instills management beliefs in Jack that include both competing and facing reality?
(a) His coach.
(b) His mother.
(c) His grandfather.
(d) His father.
5. What, according to Jack, is GE's core competency?
6. What begins Jack's transition phase in Chapter 4?
(a) The CEO's death.
(b) His mother's death.
(c) His father's death.
(d) His wife's death.
7. Which company's restructuring is prefaced by government bailout and public struggle to avoid bankruptcy?
(c) Bell Telephone.
8. Which company originally started the concept of QMI?
(a) General Electric.
9. What is Jack's business philosophy of the 1980s?
(a) When a business is showing a loss, fix it on the surface and sell quickly.
(b) For a business to be sustainable, it must have a long-range competitive solution.
(c) Use the media to make your company look like it's doing better than it really is.
(d) For a business to be profitable, it must have a margin of 90 percent or greater.
10. Which of the following is not a job held by young Jack?
(a) Theater janitor.
(b) Shoe salesman.
(c) Newspaper carrier.
(d) Mail carrier.
11. Who greatly influences Jack's work ethic and fondness of current events?
(a) His father.
(b) His minister.
(c) His mother.
(d) His coach.
12. Who throws a huge party for Jack to introduce him to important people?
(a) The Harvard Alumni Association.
(b) Bill Druckerman.
(c) Roy Johnson.
(d) Reg Jones.
13. What kind of environment does Jack say is best for making necessary changes and modernizing the company?
(b) A dictatorship.
(c) A business-type monarchy.
14. When does Jack get his first pay raise at GE?
(a) After six months.
(b) After one year.
(c) After complaining.
(d) After demanding it.
15. What does Jack say he learned the hard way about hiring employees with academic pedigrees?
(a) Where they come from is not indicative of how they will perform.
(b) Hires from an ivy-league school always perform better.
(c) Employees without degrees will never work out for long periods of time.
(d) It doesn't matter where they're from, it's what they look like that matters.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jack say strong teams are built?
2. What was the accepted business philosophy of the 1980s?
3. Who does Jack succeed as CEO of General Electric?
4. What nickname does the media pin on Jack?
5. Which investments does Jack find himself explaining and quite often defending?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)