|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which company's restructuring is prefaced by government bailout and public struggle to avoid bankruptcy?
(c) Bell Telephone.
2. When does Jack get his first pay raise at GE?
(a) After complaining.
(b) After demanding it.
(c) After one year.
(d) After six months.
3. Which non-labor department does Jack expand at his plastics facility in the 1970s?
(d) Mail Room.
4. Which company originally used QMI?
5. How does Jack describe himself in Chapter 4 when he becomes a businessman?
(c) A braggart.
6. Jack says it is important for managers to know when...
(a) To hold them and when to fold them.
(b) To walk away and know when to run.
(c) To quit and when to fire.
(d) To hug and when to kick.
7. What is the evaluation system that works well for several years, until employees find a way to "game" it?
(a) The 90-degree evaluation.
(b) The 360-degree evaluation.
(c) The 180-degree evaluation.
(d) The 6-degrees of separation.
8. What is Jack's title at the new GE plastics plant?
(a) Human Resources Director.
(b) President and CEO.
(c) Publicity Director.
(d) General Manager.
9. How much was Jack's first pay raise at GE?
(a) $1,000 per month.
(b) $85 per month.
(c) $1,000 per year.
(d) $100 per month.
10. Who submits his resignation immediately after the announcement that Jack has been named CEO?
(a) Roy Johnson.
(b) Paolo Fresco.
(c) Bill Druckerman.
(d) Reg Jones.
11. What price does GE pay to purchase RCA?
(a) $6.3 billion.
(b) $3.6 million.
(c) $6.3 million.
(d) $3.6 billion.
12. In Chapter 13, when does GE deadline its goal to become a $100 billion company with $10 billion in profits?
(a) By 2000.
(b) By 1990.
(c) By 2025.
(d) By 1999.
13. What is the key to Jack's solution as he addresses the complaint expressed by trainees at GE's learning center?
(a) More upper level management meetings at the training facility.
(b) All employees having the freedom to brainstorm.
(c) All employees going to the training facility.
(d) All managers getting more training.
14. What do young Jack and his friends do to earn a little spare change?
(a) Sweep sidewalks.
(b) Mow lawns.
(c) Collect bottles to exchange them for the deposit.
(d) Sing on the street corner.
15. Who is Jack's first professional mentor at GE?
(a) Dr. Dan Fox.
(b) Lee Iacocca.
(c) Burt Coplan.
(d) Dr. Harry Drickman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the human resources meetings called that are held at each GE business location?
2. Which GE business sold was the largest aerospace deal in history when it occurred in 1988?
3. What nickname does the media pin on Jack?
4. What does Jack learn from GE veterans about the company's routine employee appraisals?
5. What is Jack's "Vitality Curve"?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)