|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which non-labor department does Jack expand at his plastics facility in the 1970s?
(d) Mail Room.
2. Why does Jack's father encourage him to learn the game of golf?
(a) All the big shots play golf.
(b) It's cheaper to play golf than hockey.
(c) It's less violent than hockey.
(d) It is his favorite sport.
3. How do GE employees take Jack's view on the work environment?
(a) It is uncomfortable.
(b) They dread it.
(c) They appreciate it.
(d) They all quit.
4. What service began in 1993 to help dealers sell their appliances?
(a) GE Credit Corp.
(b) Store credit.
(c) In-house financing.
5. Who says, "When people make mistakes, the last thing they need is discipline"?
6. What does Jack say in a Business Week interview that he realizes he should not change in order to make GE become more competitive?
(a) The company's investments abroad.
(b) The person he is.
(c) The company's expenditures.
(d) The company's investments in internship programs.
7. What brings about a business-altering deal for GE in the mid 1980s?
(a) The Japanese threat.
(b) HD TV requirements.
(c) Cable television.
(d) Federal aid to companies.
8. Why does Jack get frustrated with the plastics inventors?
(a) They don't understand entrepreneurship.
(b) All they think about his getting their products sold.
(c) They demand higher pay.
(d) They don't get excited about innovation.
9. How does Jack lose his college scholarship funded by the country club?
(a) He shows up for work drunk.
(b) He flirts with a member's wife.
(c) He breaks a window with a golf club.
(d) He insults a club member.
10. What kind of environment does Jack say is best for making necessary changes and modernizing the company?
(a) A dictatorship.
(d) A business-type monarchy.
11. What price does GE pay to purchase RCA?
(a) $6.3 billion.
(b) $6.3 million.
(c) $3.6 million.
(d) $3.6 billion.
12. Which two new-hires become important advisers to Jack for the remainder of his career with the company?
(a) Art and Paul.
(b) Dennis and Bob.
(c) Bill and Ted.
(d) Bud and Lou.
13. According to an employee evaluation system, which employees are passionate, innovative, open minded, and creative?
14. What does Jack say is the only realistic form of job security?
(a) Satisfied customers.
(b) Government work.
(d) Law enforcement.
15. Jack says it is important for managers to know when...
(a) To hug and when to kick.
(b) To hold them and when to fold them.
(c) To walk away and know when to run.
(d) To quit and when to fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a job held by young Jack?
2. Who greatly influences Jack's work ethic and fondness of current events?
3. What does Jack learn he must do in order to succeed at GE?
4. During his high school years, who teaches Jack the value of competition?
5. What does GE implement to produce positive growth results and exceed the company's goal?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)