|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do young Jack and his friends do to earn a little spare change?
(a) Mow lawns.
(b) Sweep sidewalks.
(c) Sing on the street corner.
(d) Collect bottles to exchange them for the deposit.
2. What is Jack's "Vitality Curve"?
(a) An energy supplement Jack uses.
(b) A cool gym added to each factory.
(c) A pitch used by Jack at company softball games.
(d) An employee evaluation system.
3. Which phrase sums up GE's core values and expectations during Jack's reign as CEO?
(a) What goes up, must come down.
(b) Every cloud has a silver lining.
(c) Looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
(d) Finding a better way every day.
4. In Chapter 13, when does GE deadline its goal to become a $100 billion company with $10 billion in profits?
(a) By 2000.
(b) By 1999.
(c) By 1990.
(d) By 2025.
5. Jack says it is important for managers to know when...
(a) To walk away and know when to run.
(b) To hug and when to kick.
(c) To quit and when to fire.
(d) To hold them and when to fold them.
6. How do GE employees take Jack's view on the work environment?
(a) They dread it.
(b) They all quit.
(c) It is uncomfortable.
(d) They appreciate it.
7. Why is Jack dissatisfied with his first raise?
(a) It was enough to raise his income taxes.
(b) The other men in his office got more.
(c) Everyone in his office got the same amount.
(d) It wasn't enough to buy the new house.
8. How much was Jack's first pay raise at GE?
(a) $1,000 per year.
(b) $1,000 per month.
(c) $85 per month.
(d) $100 per month.
9. What brings about a business-altering deal for GE in the mid 1980s?
(a) Cable television.
(b) HD TV requirements.
(c) The Japanese threat.
(d) Federal aid to companies.
10. Who does Jack succeed as CEO of General Electric?
(a) Roy Johnson.
(b) Jeff Immelt.
(c) Reg Jones.
(d) Harry Drickman.
11. How long does it take Jack and his team to find a solution to their new plastics product?
(a) Six long years.
(b) Six months.
(c) Sixteen months.
(d) Six days.
12. How old is Jack when he is promoted to a vice president for GE?
13. Which organization started out as a group of elitists but opened its membership and transformed into a group of volunteers?
(a) United Way.
(b) Boy Scouts of America.
14. How does Jack resolve the complaint of the employees who have trained at the GE learning center?
(a) By closing the facility.
(b) Be developing the Work-Out program.
(c) By building another gym for employees to work out their aggressions.
(d) By sending training manuals to all employees.
15. What is Jack's highest level of education when he begins working at GE?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one business in his vice president's portfolio that Jack has no interest in at all?
2. What is the response of Jack's boss when Jack complains about his first pay raise?
3. What are the human resources meetings called that are held at each GE business location?
4. Who submits his resignation immediately after the announcement that Jack has been named CEO?
5. What is GE's TV manufacturing business traded for?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)