|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is true, according to Frank Deford?
2. Fill-in the blank. Melissa Algranati is __________.
3. What is LynNell Hancock's "The Haves and the Have-Nots" about?
4. What is the essay "Unnatural Selection" about?
5. According to Benjamin DeMott, how does Hollywood portray the race relations between blacks and whites?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main point made by Lucy Lippard in her essay "The Alternating Currents?"
2. According to Engle, why did Superman become a superhero?
3. Who saw boxing as a way to a better life, according to the authors of the textbook in "It's Not Just a Game: Sports and American Culture Summary and Analysis?"
4. What is theme marketing? Give two examples of businesses that do theme marketing.
5. What is a gender code?
6. Why does Jenny Lyn Bader think that role models may have better influence than mythical heroes?
7. How do toys like Barbie teach consumption to kids, according to Gary Cross, author of "Barbie, G.I. Joe, and Play in the 1960s?"
8. What is the main argument made by the essay "Women and Children First: Gender and the Settling of the Electronic Frontier," by Laura Miller?
9. What are the gender codes for female athletes, as posited by Mariah Burton Nelson?
10. How does Martha Stewart represent the culture of consumption, according to "The Assault on Martha Stewart," by Mark Caldwell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do the current TV programs and shows provide a safe space for children and parents to spend the evening together? What is the implicit message of prime time TV programming to the families?
Essay Topic 2
How does inferential racism and sexism affect student athletes? Taking black athletes--both men and women--as well as white women as examples, do a semiotic analysis of the image they project and its connection to inferential racism and sexism that is prevalent in the society.
Essay Topic 3
While FCC (Federal Communications Commission) regulates profanity and indecency, it allows violence, often the extreme kind, on TV as well as in movies. Should the FCC's role involve regulating violence?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)