|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the essay "A Patriot's Tale" about?
2. Which of the following is true, according to Michael Omi?
3. Which character is an icon of video game culture, according to N'Gai Croal and Jane Hughes?
4. Who is one of the heroes mentioned by Jenny Lyn Bader?
5. What does the essay "Put on a Happy Face: Masking the Differences Between Blacks and Whites" point out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the semiotic reading of a show like Sex and the City reveal, according to the textbook authors?
2. Why were women left out of college sports until the Title IX legislation was passed?
3. How does Barbie reinforce women's perception about perfect body image, according to "Our Barbies, Ourselves," by Emily Prager?
4. What is the main argument of the essay "Athletics 101: A Change in Eligibility Rules is Long Overdue," by Frank Deford?
5. How does Martha Stewart represent the culture of consumption, according to "The Assault on Martha Stewart," by Mark Caldwell?
6. What is "New York's Most Disliked Building?" and why?
7. What was the irony faced by Feng Shen in his composition class?
8. What is overt racism? What is inferential racism?
9. What is the main point made by Lucy Lippard in her essay "The Alternating Currents?"
10. What is theme marketing? Give two examples of businesses that do theme marketing.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the culture of consumption affect the environment? Choose an example to provide evidence for your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Do the current TV programs and shows provide a safe space for children and parents to spend the evening together? What is the implicit message of prime time TV programming to the families?
Essay Topic 3
Choose six advertisements from magazines catering to different consumer groups, such as men, women, and children. Do a semiotic analysis of the underlying message and ideologies. Your analysis must include the impact of these advertisements on the consumer groups they are targeting.
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)