|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main point of the essay "The New Sexual Stone Age," by Andre Mayer?
2. According to the textbook authors, which TV show had a protagonist(s) that became popular role models for American women?
3. What is the sign represented by cubicles in an office, according to Daphne Spain?
4. Which sports are linked to the working class, according to the textbook authors?
5. What is an example of gender code?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is semiotics of sports crucial?
2. What are the gender codes for female athletes, as posited by Mariah Burton Nelson?
3. What is overt racism? What is inferential racism?
4. How do toys like Barbie teach consumption to kids, according to Gary Cross, author of "Barbie, G.I. Joe, and Play in the 1960s?"
5. What are the conflicting values in the essay by Rina Swentzell, "Conflicting Landscape Values: The Santa Clara Pueblo and Day School?"
6. What is the Pueblo American Indian perception of space and its utilization? How does this conflict with the Euro American perception of space utilization?
7. How does Martha Stewart represent the culture of consumption, according to "The Assault on Martha Stewart," by Mark Caldwell?
8. How did baseball become a national pastime?
9. What is theme marketing? Give two examples of businesses that do theme marketing.
10. How did the gender codes change with time? Give an example.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do the current TV programs and shows provide a safe space for children and parents to spend the evening together? What is the implicit message of prime time TV programming to the families?
Essay Topic 2
What is your position regarding people belonging to one culture adapting or copying another culture's art form? Do you agree or disagree with the points made by Paul C. Taylor in "Funky White Boys and Honorary Soul Sisters?"
Essay Topic 3
How is inferential racism prevalent around us through positive and negative images of racial minorities? Give some examples to support your arguments.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)