|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Michael Omi 's main point in his essay "In Living Color: Race and American Culture?'
2. Who is one of the best and most world famous American cultural icons, according to Michael Eric Dyson?
3. According to the textbook authors, why was the T.V. show Sex and the City popular?
4. Fill-in the blank. Visual cues in a shop are meant for the following shopper: __________.
5. What are the eligibility rules that are long over due, according to Frank Deford?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the essay "Of Cholos and Surfers," by Jack Lopez, about?
2. How did baseball become a national pastime?
3. What was the irony faced by Feng Shen in his composition class?
4. What is "New York's Most Disliked Building?" and why?
5. Who saw boxing as a way to a better life, according to the authors of the textbook in "It's Not Just a Game: Sports and American Culture Summary and Analysis?"
6. How does Martha Stewart represent the culture of consumption, according to "The Assault on Martha Stewart," by Mark Caldwell?
7. According to Engle, why did Superman become a superhero?
8. What are the conflicting values in the essay by Rina Swentzell, "Conflicting Landscape Values: The Santa Clara Pueblo and Day School?"
9. How does Barbie reinforce women's perception about perfect body image, according to "Our Barbies, Ourselves," by Emily Prager?
10. How does language mark women? Explain your point using an example.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is inferential racism prevalent around us through positive and negative images of racial minorities? Give some examples to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Choose six advertisements from magazines catering to different consumer groups, such as men, women, and children. Do a semiotic analysis of the underlying message and ideologies. Your analysis must include the impact of these advertisements on the consumer groups they are targeting.
Essay Topic 3
Advertising is everywhere. How do the markets target you and your classmates into becoming consumers? Apply the semiotic method to analyze consumption as one of the aspects of popular culture.
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)