|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the movie cited by the authors of the Text book as one of the most popular films of 2001?
2. According to the authors, what is the TV show that is an example of the Schadenfreude phenomenon?
3. What does the term, semiotics, refer to?
4. What do media signs often conceal?
5. Who is the author of "Asian Women in Film: No Joy, No Luck?" .
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Michael Parenti, the author of "Class and Virtue," how does the movie Pretty Woman represent class and virtue?
2. How do advertisements perpetuate gender stereotyping?
3. According to the authors, what are the advantages of writing about popular culture?
4. What do the designer and brand signs represent?
5. How are Asian women represented in American movies? How does it reinforce the image held by society?
6. When did the Energizer bunny ad appear? How is it a cultural icon in terms of success?
7. Which businesses represent the current day version of American accumulation of land? What is the phenomenon associated with it?
8. What is commodification of desire?
9. What are the key arguments in the essay "Signs of Intelligent Life on TV?" Please name two TV shows cited by the author that support her key arguments.
10. How is semiotic analysis of TV program different from a review or opinion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is your position regarding people belonging to one culture adapting or copying another culture's art form? Do you agree or disagree with the points made by Paul C. Taylor in "Funky White Boys and Honorary Soul Sisters?"
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 1, the authors posit that compared to other American demographic groups, students may be freer to project their image through the products they buy. Write a paper stating your agreement or disagreement with the authors (this is called a position paper) in the context of your personal experience as a student.
Essay Topic 3
What did you learn about the history of American advertising from the chapter "Brought to You B(u)y: The Signs of Advertising?" How is the history of American advertising linked to the advancement of technology?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)