|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fill-in the blank. Semiotic method connects the _____________
2. According to Rachel Bowlby, the author of "The Haunted Superstore, " what do people visiting a superstore not like?
3. What is the purpose of the chapter, "Consuming Passions: The Culture of American Consumption?"
4. What is the name of the film used by Linda Seger in her essay "Creating the Myth?"
5. When did the daytime talk shows become popular?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the authors, what are the advantages of writing about popular culture?
2. What are popular signs of life?
3. What are some examples of popular culture?
4. Which businesses represent the current day version of American accumulation of land? What is the phenomenon associated with it?
5. What method do the authors introduce to study popular culture?
6. Why are shows like West Wing popular according to Todd Davis , the author of "The West Wing in American Culture?"
7. What is the earliest sign of American consumption of "more?" When did that happen?
8. What are the factors that may influence semiotic interpretation?
9. What is Democracy of Afflictions? Name some of the products that are sold under this theme.
10. How does Jack Solomon employ semiotic analysis to study the culture of American advertising?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the culture of consumption affect the environment? Choose an example to provide evidence for your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Do the current TV programs and shows provide a safe space for children and parents to spend the evening together? What is the implicit message of prime time TV programming to the families?
Essay Topic 3
What is your position regarding people belonging to one culture adapting or copying another culture's art form? Do you agree or disagree with the points made by Paul C. Taylor in "Funky White Boys and Honorary Soul Sisters?"
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)