|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are shows like West Wing popular, according to Todd Davis?
2. Which company's All-Bran ad promoted their product as a cancer preventing food?
3. According to Rachel Bowlby, the author of "The Haunted Superstore, " what do people visiting a superstore not like?
4. What are consumer interests encoded in?
5. What message does the phenomenon, Democracy of Goods, refer to?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the authors, what are the advantages of writing about popular culture?
2. When did the Energizer bunny ad appear? How is it a cultural icon in terms of success?
3. What is the image projected by an American mall? What is the real image?
4. What is commodification of desire?
5. What are popular signs of life?
6. How do advertisements perpetuate gender stereotyping?
7. Reality TV shows are a hot trend in popular culture and often based on schadenfreude. What do you think their impact could be on a middle school student?
8. According to Michael Parenti, the author of "Class and Virtue," how does the movie Pretty Woman represent class and virtue?
9. What are the key arguments in the essay "Signs of Intelligent Life on TV?" Please name two TV shows cited by the author that support her key arguments.
10. What method do the authors introduce to study popular culture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose six advertisements from magazines catering to different consumer groups, such as men, women, and children. Do a semiotic analysis of the underlying message and ideologies. Your analysis must include the impact of these advertisements on the consumer groups they are targeting.
Essay Topic 2
Explain your perception of what the American dream is and what it means to you to be an American. Write a position paper on the LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender) people's rights to achieve the American dream.
Essay Topic 3
How do malls and departmental stores shape our values and create expectations? How are the traditions of religious and public holidays affected by the consumer culture?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)