|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What image of woman was in vogue in the movies of the 1980s, according to "The Return of Doris Day" by Sandra Tsing Loh?
2. What is the essay by Marnie Carroll titled "American Television in Europe" about?
3. Fill-in the blank. Icons are something that appear in ___________.
4. What are the products that may be promoted by advertisements employing the phenomenon, Democracy of Afflictions?
5. Who is an outlaw hero, according to Robert Ray, the writer of "The Thematic Paradigm?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Democracy of Goods according to Marchand?
2. Why is it important to do a semiotic analysis of American film?
3. What are popular signs of life?
4. According to Michael Parenti, the author of "Class and Virtue," how does the movie Pretty Woman represent class and virtue?
5. What is an archetype? Give two examples.
6. What is one addiction that all businesses really like their customers to keep?
7. What are some examples of popular culture?
8. According to the authors, what are the advantages of writing about popular culture?
9. Reality TV shows are a hot trend in popular culture and often based on schadenfreude. What do you think their impact could be on a middle school student?
10. What is the image projected by an American mall? What is the real image?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the similarities and difference involved in the semiotic analysis of a fiction book and a TV show.
Essay Topic 2
Many essays in the text book address the issues of American consumption and the role of corporations in consumption and promoting the concept of the American dream. However, in the event of a financial crisis, individual consumers are punished for not paying their credit card while corporations are bailed out. What should be the responsibility of the Government, the businesses, and the wealthy? Who should get the tax cuts and benefits and why?
Essay Topic 3
Do the current TV programs and shows provide a safe space for children and parents to spend the evening together? What is the implicit message of prime time TV programming to the families?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)