|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Fill-in the blank. According to Camilo Jose Vergara in "The Ghetto Cityscape," green ghettos are ___________.
(a) Inner city area public housing projects that are increasingly focusing on green living.
(b) Inner city areas that provide car less commute to the residents.
(c) Inner city areas that are reclaimed by nature because of neglect or abandonment.
(d) Inner city area public housing projects that focus on environmental justice.
2. Which sports are linked to the working class, according to the textbook authors?
(a) Golf and sailing
(b) Golf and soccer.
(c) Golf and tennis.
(d) Boxing and baseball.
3. Who is one of the best and most world famous American cultural icons, according to Michael Eric Dyson?
(a) John F. Kennedy.
(b) Michael Jordan.
(c) Jean Harlow.
(d) Jackie Kennedy Onassis.
4. What does Bell Hooks write about in her essay "Baby?"
(a) How she disliked the brown dolls.
(b) Her choice of a brown doll just like her.
(c) How she enjoyed playing with dolls.
(d) Her preference for a white doll.
5. Who is Mrs. Tony, mentioned by Roy Rivenburg's article?
(a) A tiger character that briefly appeared in a Kellog's commercial.
(b) A cheetah character that briefly appeared in a Kellog's commercial.
(c) A cheetah character that briefly appeared in a General Mills commercial.
(d) A tiger character that briefly appeared in a General Mills commercial.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which company created the Barbie doll?
2. What does Malcolm Gladwell examine in "The Science of Shopping?"
3. What is a morally acceptable behavior in America as mentioned by the textbook authors in the chapter, " We've Come a Long Way, Maybe: Gender Codes in American Culture Summary and Analysis?"
4. When did Superman become a cultural icon?
5. Fill-in the blank. Visual cues in a shop are meant for the following shopper: __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the irony faced by Feng Shen in his composition class?
2. How do toys reflect the changing culture and attitudes?
3. What is the Pueblo American Indian perception of space and its utilization? How does this conflict with the Euro American perception of space utilization?
4. What is a gender code?
5. Why were women left out of college sports until the Title IX legislation was passed?
6. What is the key point made by Bell Hooks in her essay "Baby?"
7. How does language mark women? Explain your point using an example.
8. What is "New York's Most Disliked Building?" and why?
9. What is overt racism? What is inferential racism?
10. According to Engle, why did Superman become a superhero?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)