|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Tony, mentioned by Roy Rivenburg's article?
(a) A cheetah character that briefly appeared in a General Mills commercial.
(b) A tiger character that briefly appeared in a Kellog's commercial.
(c) A cheetah character that briefly appeared in a Kellog's commercial.
(d) A tiger character that briefly appeared in a General Mills commercial.
2. What is the common definition of racial profiling?
(a) Cops using race to incarcerate people.
(b) Jury using race to determine the outcomes of criminal trials.
(c) Coaches using race to select student athletes.
(d) Using race to determine who is subjected to surveillance or searches.
3. Which cultural icon's life is a rags to riches story, according to Mark Caldwell?
(a) Aunt Jemima.
(b) Lara Croft.
(c) Martha Stewart.
(d) Jackie Kennedy Onnasis.
4. Who is one of the best and most world famous American cultural icons, according to Michael Eric Dyson?
(a) John F. Kennedy.
(b) Michael Jordan.
(c) Jackie Kennedy Onassis.
(d) Jean Harlow.
5. Who is the cultural icon for females of all ages, from childhood to womanhood, according to Emily Prager?
(a) Princess Leia.
(b) Samantha-American girl.
(c) Mary Poppins.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is one of the heroes mentioned by Jenny Lyn Bader?
2. What does American soccer mainly focus on, according to David Kamp in "America's Spaz-Time?"
3. What does the essay "The Boys on the Bus," by Gary Smith, examine?
4. What is the latest example of the Elvis effect, according to Paul C. Taylor?
5. Fill-in the blank. According to Camilo Jose Vergara in "The Ghetto Cityscape," green ghettos are ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "New York's Most Disliked Building?" and why?
2. What are the conflicting values in the essay by Rina Swentzell, "Conflicting Landscape Values: The Santa Clara Pueblo and Day School?"
3. What is the essay "Of Cholos and Surfers," by Jack Lopez, about?
4. What is the key point made by Bell Hooks in her essay "Baby?"
5. What is a gender code?
6. According to Engle, why did Superman become a superhero?
7. What is the Elvis effect, according to Paul C. Taylor?
8. What is the main point made by Lucy Lippard in her essay "The Alternating Currents?"
9. What is theme marketing? Give two examples of businesses that do theme marketing.
10. How do toys reflect the changing culture and attitudes?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)