|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Michael Omi, how are blacks often portrayed by the American media?
(a) Protagonist warrior.
(b) Important and professional.
(c) Comical, submissive, or childlike.
(d) Important but sly.
2. What is the essay "A Patriot's Tale" about?
(a) New York 9/11 survivors.
(b) NFL New England Patriots.
(c) New York 9/11 victims.
(d) New York firefighters.
3. What is the point made by Michael A. Mesner in his essay on sports and gender relations?
(a) Sports shape masculine and feminine identity.
(b) Sports shape masculine identity and reinforce the glamorous female identity.
(c) Sports shape masculine identity and reinforce equity in gender relations.
(d) Sports shape masculine identity and reinforces male power.
4. What was the cross-cultural issue faced by Feng Chen in his English composition class?
(a) He had to adapt new communication style in his English composition class.
(b) He had to adapt new grammar requirements in his English composition class.
(c) He had to adapt new style of writing due to English composition.
(d) He had to adapt new individualistic values due to English composition.
5. What does the essay "The Boys on the Bus," by Gary Smith, examine?
(a) Role of sports in rallying people in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks.
(b) Role of culture in rallying people in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks.
(c) Role of schools in rallying people in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks.
(d) Role of parents in rallying people in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Neil Bernstein, in "Goin' Gangsta, Chosin' Cholita," posit?
2. Who is the cultural icon for females of all ages, from childhood to womanhood, according to Emily Prager?
3. Where are the hottest items in a store located?
4. Who expressed concern about a comic hero's sexual orientation?
5. What does wrestler Henry Jenkins posit about the message of wrestling?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Pueblo American Indian perception of space and its utilization? How does this conflict with the Euro American perception of space utilization?
2. What does the semiotic reading of a show like Sex and the City reveal, according to the textbook authors?
3. What is the Elvis effect, according to Paul C. Taylor?
4. What is a gender code?
5. What is the main argument made by the essay "Women and Children First: Gender and the Settling of the Electronic Frontier," by Laura Miller?
6. What are the gender codes for female athletes, as posited by Mariah Burton Nelson?
7. What is the main point of Camilo Jose´ Vergara's "The Ghetto Cityscape?"
8. Why does Jenny Lyn Bader think that role models may have better influence than mythical heroes?
9. What is the main point made by Lucy Lippard in her essay "The Alternating Currents?"
10. What is the main argument of the essay "Athletics 101: A Change in Eligibility Rules is Long Overdue," by Frank Deford?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)