|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which legislation requires colleges spend an equal amount of money on women's and men's sports?
(a) Title IX.
(b) Title XI.
(c) Title XII.
(d) Title X.
2. Fill-in the blank. Melissa Algranati is __________.
(a) Puerto Rican.
(b) Mexican Egyptian American.
(c) Egyptian American.
3. What is the main issue in "Conflicting Landscape Values: The Santa Clara Pueblo and Day School," by Rina Swentzell?
(a) Conflicting values about landscape management between the Santa Clara Pueblo Indians and the Day School.
(b) Landscaping conflict between Santa Clara Pueblo Indians and the Day School.
(c) Cultural conflict between Euro American and American Indian perceptions about the utilization of school space.
(d) Conflict between Santa Clara Pueblo and Day School about the utilization of school buildings.
4. What is the T.V. show that comes across as an example of changing gender code as mentioned in the chapter, "We've Come a Long Way, Maybe: Gender Codes in American Culture Summary and Analysis?"
(a) The Oprah Winfrey Show.
(b) Desperate Housewives.
(d) Murphy Brown.
5. Fill-in the blank. Gender coding is _________.
(a) A natural construct.
(b) A social construct.
(c) A scientific construct.
(d) A feminine construct.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most American thing that he did, according to Kevin Jennings, the author of "American Dreams?"
2. What was the cross-cultural issue faced by Feng Chen in his English composition class?
3. What does the essay " The Gender Blur," by Deborah Blum, advocate?
4. Fill-in the blank. The rules for sports changed over time because _______________.
5. What is the real competition in sports, according to the textbook authors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is overt racism? What is inferential racism?
2. According to Engle, why did Superman become a superhero?
3. What is the key point made by Bell Hooks in her essay "Baby?"
4. Who saw boxing as a way to a better life, according to the authors of the textbook in "It's Not Just a Game: Sports and American Culture Summary and Analysis?"
5. What is the main point made by Lucy Lippard in her essay "The Alternating Currents?"
6. How did the gender codes change with time? Give an example.
7. What is theme marketing? Give two examples of businesses that do theme marketing.
8. How does language mark women? Explain your point using an example.
9. Why does Jenny Lyn Bader think that role models may have better influence than mythical heroes?
10. What is the Elvis effect, according to Paul C. Taylor?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)