|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Melissa Algranati describe her experience as "Being the Other?"
(a) She is Egyptian American Jew.
(b) She is African American.
(c) She is Puerto Rican Egyptian Jew.
(d) She is is American Jew.
2. Which of the following toys is mentioned by Gary Cross as the popular American hero figure in the chapter, "American Icons: The Myth Characters of Popular Culture Summary and Analysis?"
(d) GI Joe.
3. What does American soccer mainly focus on, according to David Kamp in "America's Spaz-Time?"
(a) Winning and big money.
(b) Fun over competition.
(c) Competition over fun.
(d) Soccer moms and their time with children.
4. What is a territory?
(a) Space that belongs to a nation.
(b) Space that acquires its meaning through someone's claim to it.
(c) Space that acquires its meaning through someone's birth on it.
(d) Space that belongs to aboriginal people.
5. According to Deborah Tannen, what message does a woman convey when she writes "Ms" before her name?
(a) Indication that she is a feminist.
(b) Indication that she is not conservative.
(c) Ambivalence toward revealing her marital status.
(d) Refusal to reveal marital status.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who expressed concern about a comic hero's sexual orientation?
2. What does "I" signify, according to Fan Shen?
3. What does the essay "Put on a Happy Face: Masking the Differences Between Blacks and Whites" point out?
4. Which game did become the American pastime, according to the textbook authors?
5. What is an example of gender code?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do toys like Barbie teach consumption to kids, according to Gary Cross, author of "Barbie, G.I. Joe, and Play in the 1960s?"
2. What is theme marketing? Give two examples of businesses that do theme marketing.
3. What is the main point made by Lucy Lippard in her essay "The Alternating Currents?"
4. What is the key point made by Bell Hooks in her essay "Baby?"
5. According to Engle, why did Superman become a superhero?
6. How does Barbie reinforce women's perception about perfect body image, according to "Our Barbies, Ourselves," by Emily Prager?
7. Why is semiotics of sports crucial?
8. How did the gender codes change with time? Give an example.
9. What is the essay "Of Cholos and Surfers," by Jack Lopez, about?
10. What is a gender code?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)