|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the essay, "More Factor" examine?
(a) The issue of corporate greed.
(b) The issue of craving for more in America.
(c) The issue of obesity among Americans.
(d) The issue of the wealth gap in America.
2. According to Todd Boyd, what aspect is a main factor in the gangster movies genre?
(a) Race and ethnicity.
(b) Class and gender.
(c) Status and power.
(d) Language and gang signs.
3. What was the theme of most of the movies in post 9/11 era as pointed out by Patrick Goldstein in "The Time to Get Serious Has Come?"
4. What context should one consider first when interpreting a sign?
(a) Moral message it promoted.
(b) Social life it promoted.
(c) Social image it promoted.
(d) Decade/time in which it first appeared.
5. According to Anne Norton, what does catalog shopping lead to?
(a) Construction of identities for men, women, and children.
(b) Construction of ideal life style.
(c) Construction of teenage image.
(d) Construction of American life.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "Asian Women in Film: No Joy, No Luck?" .
2. What does the term, semiotics, refer to?
3. What is the factor that influences one's semiotic interpretation?
4. Who is the most popular talk show host of the 1980s?
5. What does glocalization refer to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What archetype does the movie Pretty Woman represent? What are the archetypes for the hero (Richard Gere) and the heroine (Julia Roberts)?
2. What is one addiction that all businesses really like their customers to keep?
3. What is Democracy of Afflictions? Name some of the products that are sold under this theme.
4. According to the authors, what are the advantages of writing about popular culture?
5. Which businesses represent the current day version of American accumulation of land? What is the phenomenon associated with it?
6. What method do the authors introduce to study popular culture?
7. What is the image projected by an American mall? What is the real image?
8. What are the key arguments in the essay "Signs of Intelligent Life on TV?" Please name two TV shows cited by the author that support her key arguments.
9. Why are shows like West Wing popular according to Todd Davis , the author of "The West Wing in American Culture?"
10. Taking the example of blue jeans, explain how a product undergoes a transformation as a cultural symbol.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)