|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of "Asian Women in Film: No Joy, No Luck?" .
(a) Nancy Kwan.
(b) Helen Zia.
(c) Jessica Hagedorn
(d) Suzie Wong.
2. What does Amanda Fazzone claim in her essay "Boob Tube?"
(a) Female TV actors and participants are rated for their sex appeal and not for their brains.
(b) TV shows focus on women's glamour and not their sense of style.
(c) Female TV actors and participants are rated for their sex appeal as well as their intelligence.
(d) TV shows focus too much on women's breasts and not on their talent.
3. What is a common advertising model that targets adult female customers?
(a) Persuading a woman that buying a product will make her family value her.
(b) Persuading a woman that buying a product will make friends envy her.
(c) Persuading a woman that buying a product will enrich her lifestyle.
(d) Persuading a woman that buying a product will make her feel good about her appearance.
4. Who is the author of the essay, "Signs of Shopping?"
(a) Anne Norton.
(b) Jack Solomon.
(c) Thomas Friedman.
(d) Laurence Shames.
5. How does semiotic interpretation of an advertisement help the customers?
(a) It helps them to find out the values that the advertisers are targeting.
(b) It helps them to find out if the product is worth buying.
(c) It helps them to find out which product is most useful.
(d) It helps them to find out which product is most popular.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fill-in the blank. Many advertisements connect the product with the __________.
2. What message does the phenomenon, Democracy of Goods, refer to?
3. Who is the author of the essay, "More Factor?"
4. Fill-in the blank. The significance of a sign does not depend on ___________________.
5. What do media signs often conceal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Asian women represented in American movies? How does it reinforce the image held by society?
2. What is one addiction that all businesses really like their customers to keep?
3. What is commodification of desire?
4. According to Michael Parenti, the author of "Class and Virtue," how does the movie Pretty Woman represent class and virtue?
5. What are some examples of popular culture?
6. Reality TV shows are a hot trend in popular culture and often based on schadenfreude. What do you think their impact could be on a middle school student?
7. What do the designer and brand signs represent?
8. What are the key arguments in the essay "Signs of Intelligent Life on TV?" Please name two TV shows cited by the author that support her key arguments.
9. When did the Energizer bunny ad appear? How is it a cultural icon in terms of success?
10. Why are shows like West Wing popular according to Todd Davis , the author of "The West Wing in American Culture?"
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)