|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the essay "A Gentleman and a Consumer" examine?
(a) The role of gender in advertising.
(b) How advertisers target men.
(c) The positive image of men in advertising.
(d) The role of men in advertising.
2. What do media signs often conceal?
(a) Popular interests.
(b) Educational interests.
(c) Social interests.
(d) Commercial interests.
3. Why are shows like West Wing popular, according to Todd Davis?
(a) They are about American government and show the real issues.
(b) They are non-threatening and make the audience feel comfortable.
(c) They are about the American President and are informative.
(d) They are about the white house and show inside scenaios.
4. What is the impact on children of schadenfreude in reality TV shows?
(a) Reality shows encourage bullying behaviors.
(b) Reality shows present the real world.
(c) Reality shows challenge children's self esteem.
(d) Reality shows encourage cooperation.
5. Who is the author of the essay, "Signs of Shopping?"
(a) Laurence Shames.
(b) Jack Solomon.
(c) Thomas Friedman.
(d) Anne Norton.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the term, semiotics, refer to?
2. What are the products that may be promoted by advertisements employing the phenomenon, Democracy of Afflictions?
3. According to Sandra Tsing Loh, the author of "The Return of Doris Day," how is a good girl movie character portrayed in a movie?
4. What does the essay "Asian Women in Film: No Joy, No Luck" focus on?
5. What is the purpose of a package?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one addiction that all businesses really like their customers to keep?
2. Which businesses represent the current day version of American accumulation of land? What is the phenomenon associated with it?
3. Reality TV shows are a hot trend in popular culture and often based on schadenfreude. What do you think their impact could be on a middle school student?
4. What do the designer and brand signs represent?
5. How do advertisements perpetuate gender stereotyping?
6. What is commodification of desire?
7. What is Schadenfreude? How is it relevant to TV shows? Give two examples.
8. According to the authors, what are the advantages of writing about popular culture?
9. What are the factors that may influence semiotic interpretation?
10. What is Democracy of Afflictions? Name some of the products that are sold under this theme.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)