|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements is true, according to D. Staley Eitzen?
(a) Athletic programs in many schools are not compatible with their academic mission.
(b) Athletic programs in many schools are compatible with their academic mission.
(c) Athletic programs in many schools are not compatible with the services they provide to the athletes.
(d) Athletic programs in many schools are not compatible with the promises they make to the athletes.
2. Which of the following statements is false?
(a) Children have territorial boundaries.
(b) Cultures have territorial boundaries.
(c) Men and women have territorial boundaries.
(d) Animals have territorial boundaries.
3. Fill-in the blank. According to Camilo Jose Vergara in "The Ghetto Cityscape," green ghettos are ___________.
(a) Inner city areas that provide car less commute to the residents.
(b) Inner city area public housing projects that focus on environmental justice.
(c) Inner city areas that are reclaimed by nature because of neglect or abandonment.
(d) Inner city area public housing projects that are increasingly focusing on green living.
4. What does the essay " The Gender Blur," by Deborah Blum, advocate?
(a) Both nature and power are important in understanding gender differences.
(b) Both nurture and culture are important in understanding gender differences.
(c) Both nature and nurture are important in understanding gender differences.
(d) Both nature and identity are important in understanding gender differences.
5. What does the term gender refer to?
(a) Behavioral and cultural traits that are defined by society as male or female.
(b) Being born with male or female sex organs.
(c) Behavioral and cultural traits that are defined by society as female.
(d) One's identification of being a male or a female.
6. According to the textbook authors, why was the T.V. show Sex and the City popular?
(a) It is full of glamour and fun.
(b) It starred Sarah Jessica Parker.
(c) It challenged the gender codes.
(d) It showed beautiful women professionals.
7. Which sports are the leisure activities of the upper class, according to the textbook authors?
(a) Golf and sailing
(b) Golf and football.
(c) Boxing and baseball.
(d) Golf and soccer.
8. What does Bell Hooks write about in her essay "Baby?"
(a) How she enjoyed playing with dolls.
(b) Her choice of a brown doll just like her.
(c) How she disliked the brown dolls.
(d) Her preference for a white doll.
9. What is an example of a gender specific game cited by the author Jennifer Scanlon?
(a) High School Musical.
(b) Sweet Valley High.
(c) Loaded Questions.
10. What does the essay "Put on a Happy Face: Masking the Differences Between Blacks and Whites" point out?
(a) Real issues faced by blacks have been revealed and depicted by Hollywood.
(b) Real issues faced by blacks have been concealed or misrepresented by Hollywood.
(c) Racism has been depicted by Hollywood as a controversial issue.
(d) Race relations have been revealed and depicted by Hollywood as controversial.
11. What affects one's ability in math and science?
(b) Asian background.
(c) None of these.
12. Who saw boxing as a way to achieve a better life, according to the textbook authors?
13. What does the essay, "Warrior Dreams," by James William Gibson, point out?
(a) Men's fascination with paramilitary culture.
(b) Portrayal of American Indian warrior mascots in men's sports.
(c) Men's dreams to become warriors.
(d) Portrayal of American men's patriotism in the post Vietnam era.
14. What does the essay by Lucy Lippard, "Alternating Currents," describe?
(a) Aletrnative views of country living.
(b) Alternative views of suburban living.
(c) Alternating views that represent the city and the country.
(d) Ambivalence of Americans toward the city and the country.
15. What is an example of gender code?
(a) A lesbian woman.
(b) An unmarried man.
(c) An unmarried woman.
(d) A gay man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following toys is mentioned by Gary Cross as the popular American hero figure in the chapter, "American Icons: The Myth Characters of Popular Culture Summary and Analysis?"
2. What does the essay "The Boys on the Bus," by Gary Smith, examine?
3. Why does Melissa Algranati describe her experience as "Being the Other?"
4. According to Mariah Burton Nelson in "I Won. I'm Sorry," what is the expectation for a female athlete winner?
5. What does wrestler Henry Jenkins posit about the message of wrestling?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)