|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Constructing Race: Readings in Multicultural Semiotics.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an example of gender code?
(a) An unmarried woman.
(b) A lesbian woman.
(c) A gay man.
(d) An unmarried man.
2. What is the main purpose of malls?
(a) Provide public space for kids and teenagers to hang around.
(b) Provide a variety of products that enrich American life.
(c) Provide entertainment, goods, and services.
(d) Provide quality products such as designer brands and public space.
3. Why are shows like West Wing popular, according to Todd Davis?
(a) They are about the white house and show inside scenaios.
(b) They are non-threatening and make the audience feel comfortable.
(c) They are about American government and show the real issues.
(d) They are about the American President and are informative.
4. What is Michael Parenti's argument in "Class and Virtue?"
(a) Hollywood opposes class privilege but does not represent virtue.
(b) Hollywood represents the American ideals of virtue and classless society.
(c) Hollywood supports class privilege and tends to represent the elite.
(d) Hollywood opposes class privilege and tends to represent the middle class.
5. What context should one consider first when interpreting a sign?
(a) Social image it promoted.
(b) Moral message it promoted.
(c) Decade/time in which it first appeared.
(d) Social life it promoted.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the essay "Put on a Happy Face: Masking the Differences Between Blacks and Whites" point out?
2. Which of the following products is cited by the authors as a cultural icon?
3. What is the most American thing that he did, according to Kevin Jennings, the author of "American Dreams?"
4. According to Michael Omi, how are blacks often portrayed by the American media?
5. Fill-in the blank. According to Camilo Jose Vergara in "The Ghetto Cityscape," green ghettos are ___________.
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)