|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Constructing Race: Readings in Multicultural Semiotics.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Semiotics really about?
(a) Power and ideologies.
(b) Life style and status.
(c) Popular culture and lfe style.
(d) Taste and elegance in pop culture.
2. What does Nina Leen's selection, "Just What Do You Do All Day?" showcase?
(a) What a teenager does on a weekend.
(b) What a housewife does around the house.
(c) What a student does on a school day.
(d) What a model does on a week day.
3. Why does Melissa Algranati describe her experience as "Being the Other?"
(a) She is African American.
(b) She is Puerto Rican Egyptian Jew.
(c) She is Egyptian American Jew.
(d) She is is American Jew.
4. How does Daphne Spain describe the workplace in the 90s in her essay "Spatial Segregation and Gender Stratification in the Workplace?"
(a) Women and men worked in segregated workspaces.
(b) Most women had a work space that had doors.
(c) Most women had contact with men and participated in the decision making process.
(d) Most women worked in the open spaces of offices.
5. According to the authors, why do people buy a product?
(a) Because the ad is funny.
(b) Because they identify with it.
(c) Because they like the images.
(d) Because the ad is informative.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vivian C. Sobchack claim in her essay "The Postmorbid Condition?"
2. Fill-in the blank. According to Naomi Wolf, the term beauty is ________.
3. Fill-in the blank. People buy products based on a system called ____________.
4. According to Benjamin DeMott, how does Hollywood portray the race relations between blacks and whites?
5. What does Malcolm Gladwell examine in "The Science of Shopping?"
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)