|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Constructing Race: Readings in Multicultural Semiotics.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Sandra Tsing Loh, the author of "The Return of Doris Day," how is a good girl movie character portrayed in a movie?
(a) A good girl movie character is courageous and deals with a society that has problems.
(b) A good girl movie character loves traditional things and pets.
(c) A good girl movie character adores her boyfriend and takes care of him.
(d) A good girl movie character is conscious of her image and undergoes plastic surgery.
2. Who is an outlaw hero, according to Robert Ray, the writer of "The Thematic Paradigm?"
(a) An outlaw hero has no moral code of right or wrong and operates above the law.
(b) An outlaw hero is aware of what is right or wrong but is outcast by the society because of his outspokenness.
(c) An outlaw hero is aware of what is right or wrong but is outcast by the society because of his idealism.
(d) An outlaw hero has his own moral code of right or wrong and operates above the law.
3. According to the textbook authors, what is a common assumption people make about racism?
(a) Racism is confined to rural areas.
(b) Racism is all pervasive.
(c) There is no racism in American society anymore.
(d) Racism is confined to red states.
4. What does the term gender refer to?
(a) Behavioral and cultural traits that are defined by society as female.
(b) Being born with male or female sex organs.
(c) Behavioral and cultural traits that are defined by society as male or female.
(d) One's identification of being a male or a female.
5. What does glocalization refer to?
(a) Globalization of American products in local markets.
(b) Competing with local markets across the world.
(c) Adapting a global product to fit a local market.
(d) Outsourcing work to local businesses across the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the Oprah Winfrey show popular, according to Steven D. Stark?
2. What was the theme of most of the movies in post 9/11 era as pointed out by Patrick Goldstein in "The Time to Get Serious Has Come?"
3. What is "New York's Most Disliked Building?"
4. What are the products that may be promoted by advertisements employing the phenomenon, Democracy of Afflictions?
5. Which of the following products is cited by the authors as a cultural icon?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)