|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Constructing Race: Readings in Multicultural Semiotics.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Michael Omi, how are blacks often portrayed by the American media?
(a) Important and professional.
(b) Comical, submissive, or childlike.
(c) Protagonist warrior.
(d) Important but sly.
2. Fill-in the blank. Authors posit that pop culture is a subject that is _____________
(a) Familiar to students.
(b) Popular with teachers and students.
(c) Popular with students.
(d) Easier for students.
3. Who is the author of the essay, "Signs of Shopping?"
(a) Jack Solomon.
(b) Anne Norton.
(c) Thomas Friedman.
(d) Laurence Shames.
4. What is the main purpose of malls?
(a) Provide quality products such as designer brands and public space.
(b) Provide entertainment, goods, and services.
(c) Provide a variety of products that enrich American life.
(d) Provide public space for kids and teenagers to hang around.
5. What is the essay, "Creating the Myth" about?
(a) Mythological character patterns.
(b) Classic hero patterns.
(c) Sci-fi character patterns.
(d) How movies represent the myth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the term gender refer to?
2. Who is an outlaw hero, according to Robert Ray, the writer of "The Thematic Paradigm?"
3. What does the essay " The Gender Blur," by Deborah Blum, advocate?
4. What does the essay by Lucy Lippard, "Alternating Currents," describe?
5. According to Rachel Bowlby, the author of "The Haunted Superstore, " what do people visiting a superstore not like?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)