|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through We've Come a Long Way, Maybe: Gender Codes in American culture.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the term, semiotics, refer to?
(a) Study of signs.
(b) A writing process.
(c) Analysis of writing.
(d) Study of popular culture.
2. When did the daytime talk shows become popular?
3. Fill-in the blank. According to Naomi Wolf, the term beauty is ________.
(a) An identity myth.
(b) A cultural myth.
(c) A sales myth.
(d) A status myth.
4. How do ads usually portray men?
(a) Young and energetic.
(b) Tall and handsome.
(c) Competitive and confident.
(d) Aggressive and violent.
5. What is the essay by Marnie Carroll titled "American Television in Europe" about?
(a) The influence of American TV programs on European culture.
(b) The influence of American pop culture on Europeans.
(c) The scope of Ameircan pop culture in American owned TV programs in Europe.
(d) How similar American and European pop culture is.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the products that may be promoted by advertisements employing the phenomenon, Democracy of Afflictions?
2. What is "New York's Most Disliked Building?"
3. What does the phrase "Commodification of desire" refer to?
4. Which movie does Michale Parenti use to make his arguments in the essay "Class and Virtue?"
5. What is the main purpose of malls?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)