|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through We've Come a Long Way, Maybe: Gender Codes in American culture.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the essay"Sex, Lies, and Advertising" by Gloria Steinem examine?
(a) How advertisers target women's magazines to market cigarettes and feminine hygiene.
(b) How the advertisements in women's magazines lie about sex.
(c) The compromises made by women's magazines to retain advertisers.
(d) The articles published in women's magazines on advertisements.
2. Fill-in the blank. Icons are something that appear in ___________.
(d) TV and videos.
3. What is an example of a gender specific game cited by the author Jennifer Scanlon?
(a) Sweet Valley High.
(c) Loaded Questions.
(d) High School Musical.
4. What is the most American thing that he did, according to Kevin Jennings, the author of "American Dreams?"
(a) Achieving his American dream of a great job and comfortable life.
(b) Achieving his American dream by becoming a home owner.
(c) Accepting the equality of men and women.
(d) Accepting his identity as a gay man.
5. What is the purpose of the Standards and Practices staff?
(a) Prevent the program from showing content and language that is unsuitable for the viewers.
(b) Prevent the program from showing content and language that is culturally insensitive and inapproriate.
(c) Keep the programs from having legal problems with the FCC and other bodies.
(d) Prevent the program from showing content and language that is sexist and inappropriate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the purpose of the builders of the world Trade Center, according to Eric Boehlert?
2. What does the essay "A Gentleman and a Consumer" examine?
3. What is an example of gender code?
4. Which of the following products is cited by the authors as a cultural icon?
5. What may be the best way to start the semiotic interpretation?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)