|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Hollywood Sign: The Culture of American Film.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a simple example of semiotic decoding?
(a) Listening to hip hop.
(b) Writing a story.
(c) Going to class.
(d) Reading a page.
2. How do advertisers target kids as customers?
(a) They use enticing music and images to sell the products.
(b) They use the influence kids have over what their parents buy through kid friendly logos and advertisements.
(c) They send the message to kids that they can have lot of fun.
(d) They send the message that the kids need to compete with their friends in being the first to get the product..
3. What are consumer interests encoded in?
(a) Sense of taste.
(c) Life style.
(d) Status quo.
4. What is Michael Parenti's argument in "Class and Virtue?"
(a) Hollywood opposes class privilege but does not represent virtue.
(b) Hollywood opposes class privilege and tends to represent the middle class.
(c) Hollywood supports class privilege and tends to represent the elite.
(d) Hollywood represents the American ideals of virtue and classless society.
5. What is the purpose of a package?
(a) To inform about the product's usefulness.
(b) To keep the product safe.
(c) To market the product .
(d) To help the customers in comparing the product with its competitors.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do ads usually portray men?
2. Why are shows like West Wing popular, according to Todd Davis?
3. Who is the most popular talk show host of the 1980s?
4. How does semiotic interpretation of an advertisement help the customers?
5. What is an archetype?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)