|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Video Dreams: Television, Music, and Cultural Forms.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Fill-in the blank. People buy products based on a system called ____________.
(a) CALS (Culture and Lifesyle System).
(b) SALS (Status and Lifestyle System).
(c) BALS (Budget and Lifestyle System).
(d) VALS (Values and Lifestyle System).
2. Why is the Oprah Winfrey show popular, according to Steven D. Stark?
(a) It focuses on a variety of topics and includes celebrities.
(b) It provides some kind of group therapy.
(c) It focuses on sensationalism.
(d) It provides American women an outlet for sharing their issues.
3. Fill-in the blank. Many advertisements connect the product with the __________.
(a) Customer's satisfaction with the product.
(b) Customer's identity and wisdom.
(c) Customer's middle or upper class status.
(d) Customer's fine taste in choosing quality products.
4. Who is the author of the essay, "Signs of Shopping?"
(a) Laurence Shames.
(b) Anne Norton.
(c) Thomas Friedman.
(d) Jack Solomon.
5. What context should one consider first when interpreting a sign?
(a) Social life it promoted.
(b) Decade/time in which it first appeared.
(c) Moral message it promoted.
(d) Social image it promoted.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main purpose of malls?
2. How can one derive the meaning of a sign using Semiotic method?
3. What does the essay, "More Factor" examine?
4. What may be the best way to start the semiotic interpretation?
5. What does mass production and mass marketing that categorizes people result in?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)