|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Consuming Passions: The Culture of American Consumption.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Semiotics really about?
(a) Popular culture and lfe style.
(b) Life style and status.
(c) Taste and elegance in pop culture.
(d) Power and ideologies.
2. What does the semiotic method refer to?
(a) Semiotic method refers to recognition, analysis, and interpretation of popular signs.
(b) Semiotic method refers to recognition, analysis, and interpretation of arguments.
(c) Semiotic method refers to recognition, analysis, and interpretation of pop culture.
(d) Semiotic method refers to recognition, analysis, and interpretation of signs.
3. What are consumer interests encoded in?
(a) Status quo.
(c) Life style.
(d) Sense of taste.
4. What is the factor that changed the semiotic message carried out by the cell phone?
(a) Advance of Internet.
(b) Advance of commercialization.
(c) Advance of technology.
(d) Introduction of iPhone.
5. What does the essay, "More Factor" examine?
(a) The issue of craving for more in America.
(b) The issue of corporate greed.
(c) The issue of obesity among Americans.
(d) The issue of the wealth gap in America.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the authors, what is the demographic group that is probably freer to project an image of their choice through the products they use and display?
2. What does the metaphoric essay title, "Addictive Virus," refer to?
3. Who is the pioneer of Semiotics?
4. What context should one consider first when interpreting a sign?
5. What is the main purpose of malls?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)