|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through It's Not Just a Game: Sports and American Culture.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the essay by Lucy Lippard, "Alternating Currents," describe?
(a) Alternative views of suburban living.
(b) Aletrnative views of country living.
(c) Ambivalence of Americans toward the city and the country.
(d) Alternating views that represent the city and the country.
2. What does the essay, "Signs of Shopping" examine?
(a) Consumer satisfaction while shopping.
(b) The images in product advertisements.
(c) Consumer behavior while shopping.
(d) Business marketing techniques.
3. Who is the author of the essay, "Signs of Shopping?"
(a) Anne Norton.
(b) Laurence Shames.
(c) Jack Solomon.
(d) Thomas Friedman.
4. Why do many boys join sports, according to David Kamp?
(a) It nurtures their needs for popularity and the opportunity for recognition.
(b) It nurtures their needs for competition and they want the contact it offers them with their male peers.
(c) It nurtures their needs for competition and gives the opportunity for becoming popular.
(d) It nurtures their needs for popularity and the opportunity for becoming famous.
5. What are some motivators typically used in ads?
(a) Leisure, exercise, and health.
(b) Guilt, fear, and fantasy.
(c) Comfort, happiness, and satisfaction
(d) Comfort, cost, and speed of action.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main purpose of malls?
2. Who is the most popular talk show host of the 1980s?
3. What does the term, semiotics, refer to?
4. What does the essay "A Gentleman and a Consumer" examine?
5. What does the metaphoric essay title, "Addictive Virus," refer to?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)