|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through It's Not Just a Game: Sports and American Culture.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the essay " The Gender Blur," by Deborah Blum, what is an example of nature?
(a) Aggressiveness of boys.
(b) Meanness of girls.
(c) Girls playing with Legos.
(d) Boys playing with chemistry sets.
2. Who is the author of the essay, "More Factor?"
(a) Laurence Shames.
(b) Thomas Friedman.
(c) Anne Norton.
(d) Sonia Maasik.
3. Which of the following products is cited by the authors as a cultural icon?
(a) Hello Kitty brand items.
(b) Nike shoes.
(c) Apple iPod.
(d) The Energizer bunny .
4. How do advertisers target kids as customers?
(a) They send the message to kids that they can have lot of fun.
(b) They use the influence kids have over what their parents buy through kid friendly logos and advertisements.
(c) They send the message that the kids need to compete with their friends in being the first to get the product..
(d) They use enticing music and images to sell the products.
5. Fill-in the blank. According to Naomi Wolf, the term beauty is ________.
(a) A status myth.
(b) A sales myth.
(c) An identity myth.
(d) A cultural myth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the factor that contributes to the showing of violence in the movies, according to Vivian C. Sobchack, in "The Postmorbid Condition?"
2. According to Deborah Tannen, what message does a woman convey when she writes "Ms" before her name?
3. What affects one's ability in math and science?
4. Who is the pioneer of Semiotics?
5. What does wrestler Henry Jenkins posit about the message of wrestling?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)