|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Brought to You B(u)y: The Signs of Advertising.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Rachel Bowlby, the author of "The Haunted Superstore, " what do people visiting a superstore not like?
(a) Sales people following them.
(b) Walking out empty handed.
(c) Not finding the item they want.
(d) Crowded aisles.
2. What is the main purpose of advertisers?
(a) Project the message that their products are cool.
(b) Help the customers choose a product based on quality.
(c) Project the message that their customers are elite consumers.
(d) Make the customers think that their product is different from the rest.
3. What are consumer interests encoded in?
(a) Sense of taste.
(b) Status quo.
(c) Life style.
4. What does the essay, "Signs of Shopping" examine?
(a) Consumer behavior while shopping.
(b) Business marketing techniques.
(c) The images in product advertisements.
(d) Consumer satisfaction while shopping.
5. What does a sign represent?
(a) An image.
(b) A popular brand.
(c) A meaning or a message.
(d) A direction.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the authors, why do people buy a product?
2. Fill-in the blank. People buy products based on a system called ____________.
3. What is a simple example of semiotic decoding?
4. What is the factor that changed the semiotic message carried out by the cell phone?
5. What may be the best way to start the semiotic interpretation?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)