|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Brought to You B(u)y: The Signs of Advertising.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Semiotics really about?
(a) Power and ideologies.
(b) Taste and elegance in pop culture.
(c) Popular culture and lfe style.
(d) Life style and status.
2. What does the essay"Sex, Lies, and Advertising" by Gloria Steinem examine?
(a) The compromises made by women's magazines to retain advertisers.
(b) How the advertisements in women's magazines lie about sex.
(c) The articles published in women's magazines on advertisements.
(d) How advertisers target women's magazines to market cigarettes and feminine hygiene.
3. Who is the pioneer of Semiotics?
(a) Roland Barthe.
(b) George Lakoff.
(c) Noam Chomsky.
(d) Sonia Maasik.
4. What are the products that may be promoted by advertisements employing the phenomenon, Democracy of Afflictions?
(a) Lipstick and mascara.
(b) Shaving cream and hairbrushes.
(c) Mouthwash and antibacterial wipes,
(d) Shoes and socks.
5. Who is the author of the essay, "Signs of Shopping?"
(a) Laurence Shames.
(b) Anne Norton.
(c) Jack Solomon.
(d) Thomas Friedman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a common advertising model that targets adult female customers?
2. Fill-in the blank. Many advertisements connect the product with the __________.
3. What are some motivators typically used in ads?
4. How does semiotic interpretation of an advertisement help the customers?
5. What does Nina Leen's selection, "Just What Do You Do All Day?" showcase?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)