|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country experiences a severe frost that puts the coffee bean industry in jeopardy?
2. What does Howard feel Starbucks' competitive advantage is?
3. What type of music is featured on the CDs that Starbucks begins selling?
4. Which one of the following cities is not included in the locations for Starbucks stores that opened in 1994?
5. What is the profession of Don Valencia, the person that invents a coffee extract?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the lowered quality of the coffee that United Airlines serves on its flights?
2. Who is Don Valencia and what is the impact of his invention?
3. What is historic about the meeting that Howard calls after the 1995 holiday season?
4. Who is Scott Bedbury and why does Howard hire him to work for the company?
5. What crisis hits the coffee industry and how does Starbucks initially react?
6. How is the quality problem of the coffee served on United Airlines flights solved?
7. What is an example of a negative claim that was made against Starbucks?
8. How is the idea of serving cold drinks at Starbucks first introduced to Howard and what is his response?
9. What is the paper cup problem that Starbucks encounters and how is it solved?
10. Why does Howard agree to allow United Airlines to serve Starbucks coffee on their flights?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Howard's initial impression of Starbucks, including how the employees respond to him and their preconceived notions, the observations he makes at a store level, and the ways that he attempts to change things. Also, explain what Howard does in order to learn as much as possible at the new company.
Essay Topic 2
Chronicle Howard's relationship with his father as it is presented throughout the book.
1) Describe the way Howard views his father during his childhood and his conflicting feelings of admiration and resentment.
2) Explain how Howard's opinions of his father changed after his father's death.
3) Describe the various ways that Howard's father's approach to life inspired him to build a company with specific values in mind.
Essay Topic 3
The Starbucks company had been open for ten years before Howard shows an interest in it.
1) Describe the history of the original design for Starbucks and how it was first opened.
2) Explain the origin of the Starbucks name as well as the company logo.
3) Analyze the ownership and business practices of Starbucks before Howard begins working there.
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)