|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which year brings the worst holiday season in Starbucks history?
2. What is significant about the meeting Howard has with the Seattle team to share his concerns for the unreached sales goals?
3. During the disappointing holiday season, how is the design of the packaging changed, making it unacceptable to customers?
4. What date does Starbucks finally go public?
5. As the company continues to expand rapidly, which Washington city does Howard choose to open another roasting plant?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the idea of serving cold drinks at Starbucks first introduced to Howard and what is his response?
2. How is the Starbucks Frappuccino created?
3. Who is Don Valencia and what is the impact of his invention?
4. What causes the lowered quality of the coffee that United Airlines serves on its flights?
5. What makes the 1995 holiday season so disappointing for Starbucks?
6. How does Starbucks choose the design for its stores?
7. What reference is included at the end of Pour Your Heart Into It, and how does it reflect Howard's success with Starbucks?
8. How does Howard find a bank to take Starbucks public?
9. What key events happen on the year that Howard turns forty?
10. What is the result of the first Starbucks international store?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses different writing techniques to tell his story in Pour Your Heart Into It.
1) Describe the use of flashbacks and several examples of how and why it was used.
2) Analyze the philosophical change in tone that takes place later in the book.
3) Explain the significance of the crystal ball reference included in the book's ending and how it relates to Howard's concluding inspirational message.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the elements that form H2O, their individual roles, skills, and responsibilities, and how they work as a team. Also, include an explanation of what causes Howard to realize that he needs to begin hiring people with skills different than his own and what that means for the Starbucks company.
Essay Topic 3
Before Howard joins Starbucks, he has several experiences that prepare him for the future.
1) Explain how Howard first escapes from the projects and what college is like for him.
2) Describe Howard's life after college, his first job, and his experience at the Xerox Corporation.
3) Explain the details of Howard's job at Hammarplast, the reasons he is dissatisfied with it, and how he first discovers Starbucks while working there.
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)