|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hired in 1991 to take Starbucks public, which firm does Dan Levitan work with?
2. How does Howard think the obstacles encountered can be solved?
3. Who approaches Howard with the idea to sell music compilations in Starbucks stores?
4. What type of music is featured on the CDs that Starbucks begins selling?
5. When does Starbucks open its first store on the East Coast?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Starbucks list its first public stock on the market and how does it do?
2. How does Howard find a bank to take Starbucks public?
3. What crisis hits the coffee industry and how does Starbucks initially react?
4. What is an example of a negative claim that was made against Starbucks?
5. What issues does Howard deal with as he attempts to keep Starbucks small while growing big?
6. What reference is included at the end of Pour Your Heart Into It, and how does it reflect Howard's success with Starbucks?
7. How is the Starbucks Frappuccino created?
8. What is historic about the meeting that Howard calls after the 1995 holiday season?
9. What causes the lowered quality of the coffee that United Airlines serves on its flights?
10. Why does Starbucks begin selling music in their stores?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chronicle Howard's relationship with his father as it is presented throughout the book.
1) Describe the way Howard views his father during his childhood and his conflicting feelings of admiration and resentment.
2) Explain how Howard's opinions of his father changed after his father's death.
3) Describe the various ways that Howard's father's approach to life inspired him to build a company with specific values in mind.
Essay Topic 2
The Starbucks company had been open for ten years before Howard shows an interest in it.
1) Describe the history of the original design for Starbucks and how it was first opened.
2) Explain the origin of the Starbucks name as well as the company logo.
3) Analyze the ownership and business practices of Starbucks before Howard begins working there.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Howard Schultz's childhood, including where he grew up, the conditions of his upbringing, and why they were influential in his life's ambitions. Be sure to explain several of the examples that Howard provides in the book to support your analysis.
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)