|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mistake does Starbucks make in stocking the stores for the disastrous season Howard talks about in the end of the book?
2. What does Starbucks develop to prevent customer burns and cut down waste?
3. Throughout the crisis, what do the Starbucks executives remain committed to providing?
4. When the decision to take Starbucks public is announced, what does Howard feel most investment banks do not understand?
5. When the Starbucks food and beverage department first tries to expand on the icy drink, what is the result?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Howard's reaction to the 1995 holiday season received by employees and what things does he encourage them to do?
2. What is historic about the meeting that Howard calls after the 1995 holiday season?
3. How does Starbucks choose the design for its stores?
4. What decisions does Starbucks make when the crisis is extended and eventually passes?
5. How is the idea of serving cold drinks at Starbucks first introduced to Howard and what is his response?
6. What conflict between his professional and personal lives does Howard experience as a result of Starbucks' quick expansion, and how does he resolve it?
7. What makes the 1995 holiday season so disappointing for Starbucks?
8. What key events happen on the year that Howard turns forty?
9. What is an example of a negative claim that was made against Starbucks?
10. What changes does Starbucks make after receiving negative publicity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Howard's decision to offer employee health benefits, which employees the benefits apply to, why other board members have a negative reaction to the idea, Howard's justification of it, and the eventual results of having the program. In addition, describe the introduction of Bean Stock, the employee stock option plan, and how it is received.
Essay Topic 2
Chronicle Howard's relationship with his father as it is presented throughout the book.
1) Describe the way Howard views his father during his childhood and his conflicting feelings of admiration and resentment.
2) Explain how Howard's opinions of his father changed after his father's death.
3) Describe the various ways that Howard's father's approach to life inspired him to build a company with specific values in mind.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses different writing techniques to tell his story in Pour Your Heart Into It.
1) Describe the use of flashbacks and several examples of how and why it was used.
2) Analyze the philosophical change in tone that takes place later in the book.
3) Explain the significance of the crystal ball reference included in the book's ending and how it relates to Howard's concluding inspirational message.
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)