|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of the original Starbucks logo does Howard keep for the new company?
2. When was the first Starbucks store opened in Chicago?
3. What date is the modern day Starbucks born?
4. How long was the original Starbucks in business before Howard hears about the company?
5. Which courses does Howard succeed at while going to college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What state is the Starbucks company in when Howard returns as the new CEO?
2. What is Howard's initial impression of Starbucks?
3. What happens to Howard's father that causes him to rethink his move to Seattle?
4. Which two tenets does Howard keep intact as he begins to expand Starbucks to include other people?
5. How is the design and logo of Starbucks updated for the merger of both companies?
6. How does the death of his father change the way Howard remembers him?
7. What founding principles does Howard intend to keep with all aspects of the company?
8. What is Howard's intent with Il Giornale, and how does he receive the money needed for the business' expansion plan?
9. How does Howard begin opening Starbucks stores in other states and what issue does he overcome in the process?
10. How did Howard feel about his father while growing up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain in detail the three major changes that Howard proposes after he reports a major financial loss. Provide examples of how each idea is implemented, its purpose, and the reasons why it is effective.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Howard's decision to offer employee health benefits, which employees the benefits apply to, why other board members have a negative reaction to the idea, Howard's justification of it, and the eventual results of having the program. In addition, describe the introduction of Bean Stock, the employee stock option plan, and how it is received.
Essay Topic 3
Two situations that are outside of Howard's control threaten the company that he has built.
1) Compare and contrast the way that Starbucks and other coffee companies react to the crisis that the coffee industry goes through when Brazil suffers from severe frost.
2) Describe the negative claims that labor activists make against Starbucks in trying to defame the company, and how Howard changes his business practices accordingly.
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)