|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take Howard to convince Starbucks to begin serving espresso?
2. How many days before his father's death does Howard arrive in New York?
3. What does Dave Olsen contribute to Howard's vision for Il Giornale?
4. What sport does Howard play in hopes of one day leaving the projects?
5. What is the employee stock option plan for Starbucks called?
Short Essay Questions
1. What founding principles does Howard intend to keep with all aspects of the company?
2. How does the original Starbucks develop its name and logo?
3. As a result of a major financial loss, what three things does Howard outline for Starbucks' road back to success?
4. Where is Jeff Brotman from and what does Howard learn from him?
5. How does Howard raise enough money to open the first Il Giornale store?
6. What are the responsibilities of the three main people who run Starbucks in 1990?
7. How does Howard begin opening Starbucks stores in other states and what issue does he overcome in the process?
8. How does Howard learn the value of honoring customer requests?
9. After college, what is Howard's first sales job, and how does he meet his future wife?
10. What atmosphere does Howard strive to create at Starbucks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Howard's decision to offer employee health benefits, which employees the benefits apply to, why other board members have a negative reaction to the idea, Howard's justification of it, and the eventual results of having the program. In addition, describe the introduction of Bean Stock, the employee stock option plan, and how it is received.
Essay Topic 2
Explain in detail the three major changes that Howard proposes after he reports a major financial loss. Provide examples of how each idea is implemented, its purpose, and the reasons why it is effective.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the elements that form H2O, their individual roles, skills, and responsibilities, and how they work as a team. Also, include an explanation of what causes Howard to realize that he needs to begin hiring people with skills different than his own and what that means for the Starbucks company.
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)