|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term does Howard use to replace "employees" after the introduction of the employee stock option?
2. Where was the third Il Giornale store opened?
3. What is the focus of the computerized systems installed in Starbucks stores in 1991?
4. What position does Arnie Prentice hold when he invests in Il Giornale?
5. What is Howard hoping to reduce with his new plan for employees?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of Howard's new health care plan for Starbucks and why is it met with resistance?
2. What are the responsibilities of the three main people who run Starbucks in 1990?
3. Why does Howard find merging Starbucks and Il Giornale to be challenging, and who does he hire to help with the operations, finance, and human resources?
4. Who is Dave Olsen and what does he bring to Il Giornale?
5. How did Howard feel about his father while growing up?
6. How long has Starbucks been open before Howard discovers it, and how does he first hear about the company?
7. How does Howard convince Jerry Baldwin to begin serving espressos, and what leads him to leave Starbucks?
8. What state is the Starbucks company in when Howard returns as the new CEO?
9. How does the death of his father change the way Howard remembers him?
10. What is Bean Stock and how is it introduced?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Along the way to success, Howard makes some important contacts that help him achieve his goals. For each of the following, explain how and when Howard first meets them, that person's background, and the ways that they contribute to Howard's vision:
1) Dave Olsen
2) Scott Greenburg
3) Jeff Brotman
4) Don Valencia
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the task of merging Il Giornale and Starbucks when Howard returns to the company as its new CEO. Include how Howard attempts to improve employee loyalty and trust, the creative aspects of designing the new stores and logo, and how he deals with the issues associated with running a large company.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Howard Schultz's childhood, including where he grew up, the conditions of his upbringing, and why they were influential in his life's ambitions. Be sure to explain several of the examples that Howard provides in the book to support your analysis.
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)