|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the first Il Giornale store open?
2. What type of business does Sheri give up before moving to the Northwest?
3. How is Howard's idea of creating Starbucks cafes received when he first returns from Italy?
4. Why does Howard insists that Starbucks remain company-owned and not franchised?
5. Where is there a potential disaster in the coffee business?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the purchase of Peet's Coffee and Tea divide the Starbucks company?
2. What was Howard Schultz's childhood like?
3. What are the responsibilities of the three main people who run Starbucks in 1990?
4. How does the death of his father change the way Howard remembers him?
5. Why does Howard create a Mission Statement and a Mission Review Team for Starbucks?
6. What is Howard's intent with Il Giornale, and how does he receive the money needed for the business' expansion plan?
7. What atmosphere does Howard strive to create at Starbucks?
8. What does H2O refer to in the Starbucks company?
9. How does Howard learn the value of honoring customer requests?
10. Where is Jeff Brotman from and what does Howard learn from him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The founding principles of Starbucks are an important part of the company's success.
1) Describe the Mission Statement that Howard creates along with the benefits of having a mission statement for a company in general.
2) Explain who comprises the Mission Review Team and its purpose.
3) Analyze the core values of Starbucks as they are defined by Howard throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
Chronicle Howard's relationship with his father as it is presented throughout the book.
1) Describe the way Howard views his father during his childhood and his conflicting feelings of admiration and resentment.
2) Explain how Howard's opinions of his father changed after his father's death.
3) Describe the various ways that Howard's father's approach to life inspired him to build a company with specific values in mind.
Essay Topic 3
After much consideration, Howard launches Il Giornale.
1) Explain the intent of Howard in creating Il Giornale, along with what he hopes to accomplish in the new business venture.
2) Describe the help that Howard receives in both design and investments, as well as the setbacks he encounters, and how he deals with them.
3) Explain Howard's plan for expanding Il Giornale, what it entails, and how he raises enough money to execute it.
4) Describe the success of Il Giornale and the reasons behind it.
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)