|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Howard observe about the espresso bars he visits in Italy?
(a) They close early on most nights.
(b) They cater to the upper class only.
(c) They are places with limited seating.
(d) They are a comfortable gathering place.
2. What does Dave Olsen contribute to Howard's vision for Il Giornale?
3. Responding to the success of existent stores, how many Starbucks stores does Howard open in 1990?
4. What is Howard's primary role in Starbucks during the time when he is joined by people to help the company expand?
(b) Silent partner.
(c) The company's soul.
(d) Financial responsibility.
5. What is Howard Schultz's position at Starbucks?
(c) Vice President.
(d) District Manager.
6. What other coffee company does Jerry Baldwin purchase?
(a) Peet's Coffee and Tea.
(b) Peet's Coffee and Spices.
(c) Peet's Coffee.
(d) Peet's Coffee, Tea, and Spices.
7. What is the focus of the computerized systems installed in Starbucks stores in 1991?
(a) Only inventory.
(b) Sales and growth, but not inventory.
(c) Sales, growth, and inventory.
(d) Sales and inventory, but not growth.
8. What novel features a character that inspired the Starbucks name?
(a) Treasure Island.
(b) Gulliver's Travels.
(c) Moby Dick.
(d) Tom Sawyer.
9. How much money does a group of Seattle businessmen invest in Il Giornale that causes Howard to go forward with his expansion plans?
10. When does Howard travel back to New York to see his father?
(a) March 1988.
(b) January 1988.
(c) March 1989.
(d) January 1989.
11. What part of the original Starbucks logo does Howard keep for the new company?
(a) The mermaid.
(b) The font.
(c) The stars.
(d) The slogan.
12. How does Starbucks add flavor to the coffee it serves?
(a) It adds flavored syrup to the drink.
(b) It adds a flavored powder to the drink.
(c) Starbucks does not offer flavored coffee.
(d) It roasts the coffee beans with additional flavors added.
13. When does Howard graduate from college?
14. What does Howard believe a business should have at its core?
(a) A good product.
(b) A good example to follow.
(c) Financial investors.
(d) Executive input.
15. What type of business did Dave Olsen have before meeting Howard?
(a) A tea brewer manufacturing company.
(b) A university coffeehouse.
(c) A coffeemaker manufacturing company.
(d) A university deli.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Howard have to report a major financial loss to the board?
2. What allows Starbucks to expand their reach and open stores at even greater distances from Seattle?
3. What is Howard hoping to reduce with his new plan for employees?
4. What is the prognosis of Howard's father's condition after Howard moves to Seattle?
5. What position does Howard hire Lawrence Maltz for?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)