|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After his father's death, what does Howard work to increase for Starbucks employees?
(a) Benefits, pay, and hours.
(b) Pay and benefits.
(c) Benefits, but not pay.
(d) Pay and hours, but not benefits.
2. How much money does Howard need to raise in order to purchase Starbucks?
(a) Five million dollars.
(b) Three million dollars.
(c) Two million dollars.
(d) Four million dollars.
3. What country is Perstorp, the parent company of Hammarplast, based in?
4. What does Howard believe a business should have at its core?
(a) A good product.
(b) A good example to follow.
(c) Executive input.
(d) Financial investors.
5. What position does Arnie Prentice hold when he invests in Il Giornale?
(a) Co-Chairman of a Seattle financial services firm.
(b) CEO of a Seattle law firm.
(c) District Manager of a Seattle manufacturing firm.
(d) Executive Consultant of a Seattle advertising firm.
6. Which courses does Howard succeed at while going to college?
(a) Marketing, mathematics, and communications.
(b) Marketing and communications.
(c) Marketing, history, and communications.
(d) Marketing and history.
7. What year is it when Howard begins to look for people with skills different than his own?
8. How long does it take Howard and Il Giornale to reach the point of serving over 1,000 people each day?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) Six months.
(c) Two months.
(d) Two weeks.
9. When does the first Il Giornale store open?
(a) July 1986.
(b) September 1987.
(c) April 1986.
(d) February 1987.
10. How much money does Jerry Baldwin invest in Howard's coffee houses?
11. According to Howard Behar, what can cause a company to lose sales?
(a) Wasteful spending.
(b) An excessive amount of employees.
(c) A restrictive code of operations.
(d) A lack of employees.
12. What novel features a character that inspired the Starbucks name?
(a) Gulliver's Travels.
(b) Moby Dick.
(c) Treasure Island.
(d) Tom Sawyer.
13. How long do Howard and Jerry Baldwin negotiate before Howard is hired at Starbucks?
(a) One year.
(b) Two months.
(c) Two years.
(d) One month.
14. What is the employee stock option plan for Starbucks called?
(a) Coffee Stock.
(b) Bean Stock.
(c) Starbucks Coffee Stock.
(d) Starbucks Stock.
15. Why does Howard insists that Starbucks remain company-owned and not franchised?
(a) To maximize profits.
(b) To control quality.
(c) To avoid partnerships.
(d) To simplify advertising.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which sports team does Howard's father take the family to see?
2. What is the initial reaction to Starbucks in Chicago?
3. When does Howard report the first profitable year for Starbucks?
4. Joining Howard and Orin, what is Howard Behar's role in the company?
5. What positions does Howard think would be better filled by people with skills different than his own?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)