|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who at American Tobacco Company encourages using radio and magazine ads instead of the 'older' means like billboards and newspapers?
2. What has a small tobacco manufacturing company in Durham after the Civil War thriving?
3. What new product quickly raced to the number two position in the filtered market, just behind Viceroy, in 1954?
4. What is the result from the filter working so well?
5. What is questioned in 1941?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sylvester (Pat) Weaver do for American Tobacco Company?
2. What causes R.J. Reynolds to slip in popularity?
3. With what is Helmut Wakeham faced?
4. What do companies do with rising health concerns?
5. What is Liggett and Myers doing at this time?
6. What was happening to the popularity of cigarettes at the turn of the century?
7. How successful is the FTC in the 1950s?
8. How do Percival Hill and his son George help American Tobacco Company?
9. Describe Christopher Columbus' findings in the New World.
10. What does the Roosevelt Administration look into regarding the tobacco industry? How does this affect the various companies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Athletes endorsed cigarettes from the 1930s to the 1960s.
Part 1) Are you surprised by this? Why or why not?
Part 2) What do athletes endorse today? Why do they endorse the products?
Part 3) Are there products today, endorsed by athletes, that you believe should not be? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The first successful case against the tobacco industry is significant.
Part 1) Describe this first case. Was it successful? Why or why not?
Part 2) Why is it so significant?
Part 3) How has this first case affected the tobacco industry of today?
Essay Topic 3
The major tobacco companies pooled their resources by setting up the TIRC.
Part 1) What is the TIRC? What was the initial purpose of this organization?
Part 2) How did this organization evolve over time? Why did it evolve?
Part 3) How did the changes in the TIRC affect the consumers?
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)