|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do most Virginians expect the Revolutionary War to erase?
2. What new product quickly raced to the number two position in the filtered market, just behind Viceroy, in 1954?
3. American Tobacco Company keeps a tight leash on what?
4. What new brand does Philip Morris introduce that is directed primarily at women?
5. How are Pall Mall cigarettes reinvigorated?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Christopher Columbus' findings in the New World.
2. What does the Roosevelt Administration look into regarding the tobacco industry? How does this affect the various companies?
3. What do companies do with rising health concerns?
4. Discuss the early tobacco industry in Virginia.
5. What is happening to American Tobacco Company at this time?
6. What do the American Cancer Society and others do?
7. With what is Helmut Wakeham faced?
8. What does the industry do in response to these new rules?
9. How are fears allayed in the 1950s?
10. What is the history of the Bull Durham company?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Buck Duke was ahead of his time when it came to running a company.
Part 1) Who is Buck Duke? How was he ahead of his time?
Part 2) Was it natural talent or training that led him to be so innovative? Explain.
Part 3) How have various modern industries been influenced by Buck Duke's work?
Essay Topic 2
The 1960s marked the turn of American attitudes toward smoking.
Part 1) Why were American's attitudes changing in the 1960s? How did new health trends help build this attitude?
Part 2) How has this attitude towards smoking continued to grow?
Part 3) Compare and contrast the ideas about attitudes towards smoking in the 1960s and today.
Essay Topic 3
Philip Morris performed well in the 1970s.
Part 1) Who is given credit for this? How was this person different from those in other companies?
Part 2) Compare this person and his achievements to Buck Duke.
Part 3) Who also was in instrumental with this company at the time? How did this team effort help the Philip Morris Company?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)