|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5: "Shall We Just Have a Cigarette on It?".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the company's reputation tarnished?
(a) When it attempts to rewrap stale, returned packs.
(b) When it does not have enough cigarettes for its customers.
(c) When it has no cigarettes for purchase.
(d) When it merges with a health food company.
2. Once the large companies realize they have to distinguish themselves without price changes, what do they do?
(a) Buy out small companies.
(b) Put less cigarettes in a pack.
(c) Institute huge advertising campaigns.
(d) Expand their market.
3. What is the thirty-cent, hand-packed premium cigarette brand being advertised in high-class magazines like THE NEW YORKER?
4. What is the outcome of an antitrust lawsuit against the major cigarette companies of collusion to fix tobacco prices in 1941?
(a) It succeeded in convicting them.
(b) It failed to convict them.
(c) The case was thrown out.
(d) It was somewhat successful.
5. Why does Buck open a New York plant in 1884?
(a) New York is a large city, with many wealthy smokers.
(b) He has always wanted to live in New York.
(c) To try to grab hold of the immigrant market for cheap cigarettes.
(d) To try to merge with large New York companies.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is an article damning smoking as unhealthy quickly lost?
2. What has a small tobacco manufacturing company in Durham after the Civil War thriving?
3. Why does the Army supply its World War I troops with cigarettes by the truckload?
4. What other segments of the industry is Duke buying out?
5. What custom becomes very common in the United States throughout the 1800s?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)