Chapter 1: Adoring the Devil's Breath
1. When Columbus arrives in America, what does he discover about tobacco?
(a) His men do not like it.
(b) The addictiveness of its use among his own men.
(c) The Native Americans do not allow Columbus' men to have any.
(d) It is very easy to grow.
2. Who is one of the prominent leaders at Jamestown who is instrumental in founding the American domestic tobacco market?
(a) Christopher Columbus.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) John Rolfe.
(d) George Washington.
3. What do most Virginians expect the Revolutionary War to erase?
(a) Their hatred of England.
(c) Their debts from England.
(d) Their tie to tobacco.
4. What began by being manufactured mainly in Spain but quickly spread to its colonies and conquests?
5. What custom becomes very common in the United States throughout the 1800s?
(a) Smoking cigarettes.
(b) Anti-smoking campaigns.
(c) Selling cigars.
(d) Spitting the dark juice.
6. What are extremely rare in America in the 1800s?
(a) Generic products.
(b) Brand-name products.
(c) Home-grown tobacco.
(d) Hand-rolled cigarettes.
This section contains 6,045 words
(approx. 21 pages at 300 words per page)