|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The basic premise of the book assumes the readers have made which decision about their relationship?
2. How does the unfaithful partner feel about moving forward in marriage relationship?
3. If the expectations of love and marriage are not modified, they can lead to which type of relationship?
4. If the disenchantment felt in an aging relationship is mismanaged, it can lead to which result?
5. Warning signs that the unfaithful partner is likely to pursue future affairs include which behavior?
Short Essay Questions
1. What steps does the author take to minimize emotionally-charged labels associated with the affair?
2. Where do unrealistic expectations of love and marriage come from?
3. How does the author characterize an affair?
4. How is an affair characterized by the author in Chapter 3?
5. Why does the author recommend using a mental time projection to envision where the relationship will be?
6. Why could an unfaithful partner feel a lack of guilt about the affair?
7. How is the hurt partner's sense of self affected by the discovery of an affair?
8. How is unrequited love described?
9. Why do couples often feel they are incompatible?
10. How does the book address gender-typical reactions in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The majority of the book is dedicated to the three stages of post-affair healing.
Describe these three stages and give an example of how they apply to a fictitious couple.
Essay Topic 2
Childhood experiences play a role in the possibility of extramarital affairs in a marriage.
What are three indicators that a person will grow up to become an unfaithful partner in a marriage?
What are three indicators that a person will grow up to become a hurt partner in a marriage?
How could these paths be altered in the future after an affair?
Essay Topic 3
Choose a case study from the book involving a couple post-affair and a religious leader. Analyze this case study from the point of view of the religious leader.
Explain how the religious leader would advise the couple to work towards rebuilding their relationship based on the advice from the book. Make sure to include three steps the religious leader should advise the couple to take.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)