|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When hurt partners engage in obsession behaviors, how is this related to the discovery of the affair?
2. How do women usually react to the discovery of an affair?
3. The introduction addresses which of these questions?
4. Why would the hurt partner feel as if they are disposable?
5. After closer examination, the rationalizations used by the unfaithful partner to justify the affair often can be described in which way?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author characterize an affair?
2. How does the book address post-affair healing?
3. How does an unfaithful partner conduct an affair over a period of time, and what is their emotional reaction upon discovery?
4. How does the book view unrequited and romantic love in terms of their role in a relationship?
5. Why do family members find it difficult to support a hurt partner during their time of crisis after the discovery of an affair?
6. What methods do unfaithful partners use to hide from deeper emotional issues that may be tied to the affair?
7. How is unrequited love described?
8. How does the text address gender-typical reactions in Chapter 1?
9. How is romantic love described?
10. How is an affair characterized by the author in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Childhood experiences play a role in the possibility of extramarital affairs in a marriage.
What are three indicators that a person will grow up to become an unfaithful partner in a marriage?
What are three indicators that a person will grow up to become a hurt partner in a marriage?
How could these paths be altered in the future after an affair?
Essay Topic 2
When a person refuses to change, it is often due to cognitive blocks formed by false rationalizations.
Citing three examples, how could you convince a person that the cognitive blocks, that are inhibiting the necessary change, are untrue?
Essay Topic 3
What are the three stages of post-affair healing?
Illustrate each stage with an case study of a couple experiencing this stage provided in the book.
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)