|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The person involved in the relationship, but who is not one of the married partners, is termed which of the following?
2. The intense attachment a hurt partner may feel towards the unfaithful partner could override which of the following?
3. When friends and family withdraw from the unfaithful partner, who can provide a temporary substitute?
4. When deciding on the future of their relationship, a couple should consider which effect on the children?
5. According to Chapter 3, how should irrational or erroneous thoughts should be treated?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do unrealistic expectations of love and marriage come from?
2. How is the hurt partner's sense of self affected by the discovery of an affair?
3. What methods do unfaithful partners use to hide from deeper emotional issues that may be tied to the affair?
4. How does the book address gender-typical reactions in Chapter 2?
5. How is an affair characterized by the author in Chapter 3?
6. What is the fundamental difference in reactions between the hurt and unfaithful partners to the discovery of an affair?
7. What steps does the author take to minimize emotionally-charged labels associated with the affair?
8. How does an unfaithful partner conduct an affair over a period of time, and what is their emotional reaction upon discovery?
9. How is the presence of violent thoughts in the hurt partner related to the discovery of the affair?
10. What is the role of mature love in a relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the realities and assumptions surrounding unrequited and romantic love.
How are these concepts related to mature love?
Essay Topic 2
What are the three stages of post-affair healing?
Illustrate each stage with an case study of a couple experiencing this stage provided in the book.
Essay Topic 3
A hurt partner can choose whether or not to forgive the unfaithful partner.
How does the process of forgiveness align with the losses experienced by the hurt partner?
Cite three examples.
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)