• An affair is defined as a serious breach of trust which results in intense feelings of betrayal.
• The people involved in an affair are termed the unfaithful partner, the hurt partner, and the lover.
• After the affair, the process of healing is divided into three stages: managing the emotions until feelings are stabilized, making a decision whether to recommit or to separate, and rebuilding the marriage after the affair.
Chapter 1 - The Hurt Partner's Response: Buried in an Avalanche of Losses
• Nine psychological effects of the affair on the hurt partner are explored.
• These effects all encompass a sense of loss on behalf of the hurt partner and include losing personal identity, sense of being special, self-respect, control over mind and body, sense of justice, religious faith, connection with others, and sense of purpose.
• The reactions of a hurt partner can fall into gender-typical categories such as...
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)