|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one problem Hooks addressed with regard to the works of blacks and women?
2. What did Hooks discuss in Chapter 13?
3. What did Hooks say about the presence of a teacher in a classroom?
4. According to Chapter 9, what is much of "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" about?
5. What feeling towards men in her adult life did Hooks have as a result of her childhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what hierarchies did Hooks talk about dismantling? What will replace them?
2. What was the main issue addressed in Chapter 13? What was the first thing mentioned about this issue?
3. Who is the target audience for "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" and what does this mean?
4. What did Hooks say about language and its influence on the learning process?
5. Chapter 14 gave a preview to the main topic addressed in Chapter 15. What was the issue? What was the first observation that Hooks made?
6. What accusation did Hooks say many black men face when in a relationship with a white woman?
7. What group did Hooks thank as being the first audience who gave her the opportunity to discuss the main topic of Chapter 15 candidly?
8. What did Hooks say about black authors and feminists being one in the same?
9. According to Hooks, what affected how she subjectively related to teaching?
10. What racial topic did Hooks mention in Chapter 12 that was mentioned in previous chapters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 12, what was Hooks' opinion of the way the public views feminist theory? What did she believe could happen because of this? Did she believe a feminist backlash had taken place? If so, what did she hope for in terms of a resolution?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Hooks' overall perception of black women and white women. What similarities does she mention between the two groups? What differences? What does Hooks say is the focus of white women who are involved in feminist theory? What about the black women involved in feminist theory? How do the black and white women interact when it comes to competing for the attention of black men?
Essay Topic 3
According to Hooks, when is education at its best? What do teachers believe about their role before students are encouraged to participate in the learning process? What did Hooks believe about proper instructional methods and participation from students?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)