|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chapter 9, what is much of "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" about?
2. What is the last name of Hooks' friend mentioned in Chapter 13?
3. Chapter 14 said that Chapter 15 is devoted to what type of issues?
4. In terms of sharing their input, what did Hooks say about how many of her students feel?
5. What type of market did "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" appeal to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hooks say about black authors and feminists being one in the same?
2. What accusation did Hooks say many black men face when in a relationship with a white woman?
3. What did Hooks say about a woman's social status and its connection to her partner?
4. According to Chapter 9, in what way was "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" a failure?
5. What does Hooks say about her students and liberating practices?
6. What did Hooks say in Chapter 12 about the present state of feminist theory?
7. Hooks said that teachers sometimes felt that their creativity was being suppressed. In what way?
8. What racial topic did Hooks mention in Chapter 12 that was mentioned in previous chapters?
9. Who is the target audience for "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" and what does this mean?
10. What did Hooks notice about classes that consisted mainly of white women concerning their interest in feminist theory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Hook's view of white supremacy. Did she agree that this concept was a necessary part of society? If not, what did she agree with in its place? What examples did Hooks give of times in her life that she was exposed to this notion?
Essay Topic 2
What was Hooks' experience with using liberating teaching methods in the classroom as opposed to traditional teaching methods? How did her students respond to the use of both methods?
Essay Topic 3
How did Hooks feel about the way her theoretical works are assessed? Are they assessed fairly or unfairly? How did she feel about the way other minorities' works are evaluated? Who set the standard for how theoretical works are judged? Did she think there should be a change to how the standard is set?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)