|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hooks say blurred the demarcation of what indicated a wealthy person versus a poor person?
2. In Chapter 12, Hooks wrote about the patriarchal structure within what context?
3. Which of the following is one type of course that Hooks has taught?
4. What did Hooks say about the presence of a teacher in a classroom?
5. Whom did Hooks thank as the first forum that allowed her talk about the main issue discussed in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new experience did Hooks say many American blacks are currently facing?
2. What group did Hooks thank as being the first audience who gave her the opportunity to discuss the main topic of Chapter 15 candidly?
3. Hooks used Chapter 9 to do what with many of the ideas she previously discussed? How did the readers feel about these ideas?
4. Who was Ron Scapp? What role did he play in Hooks' life?
5. What did Hooks say about girls and the oppressive conditions they face?
6. What accusation did Hooks say many black men face when in a relationship with a white woman?
7. According to Hooks, what affected how she subjectively related to teaching?
8. What did Hooks observe about the relationship between black women and white men? In what contexts did she speak of this relationship?
9. What racial topic did Hooks mention in Chapter 12 that was mentioned in previous chapters?
10. What did Hooks say in Chapter 12 about the present state of feminist theory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Chela Sandoval? What role did she play in Hooks' life in terms of teaching and education as a whole? What did Hooks think of Sandoval's work? What did Hooks say the public thinks of Sandoval's work?
Essay Topic 2
How did Hooks feel about her work not being published by a university publishing company? What possible reason did she give for why it was not? What effect did this have on her?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Hook's view of white supremacy. Did she agree that this concept was a necessary part of society? If not, what did she agree with in its place? What examples did Hooks give of times in her life that she was exposed to this notion?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)