|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chapter 9, individuals from what portion of Asia make up the dominant minority group in a number of places in the US?
2. In Chapter 9, what group did Hooks say is the dominant minority group in some parts of the United States?
3. According to Hooks, where and how to teach greatly affects whom?
4. Hooks began Chapter 10 by setting up the tension between what two groups?
5. Hooks said that many white women are racist in what ways?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hooks say about her making space for others to speak about class, race and gender issues?
2. What did Hooks say about the relationship between black and white women and white women and black men?
3. What did Hooks say about black authors and feminists being one in the same?
4. What did Hooks observe about the relationship between black women and white men? In what contexts did she speak of this relationship?
5. What accusation did Hooks say many black men face when in a relationship with a white woman?
6. What did Hooks say about the method she used to teach her students when the majority of them were black?
7. What did Hooks say about girls and the oppressive conditions they face?
8. What special characteristics are mentioned about Chapter 12?
9. What group did Hooks thank as being the first audience who gave her the opportunity to discuss the main topic of Chapter 15 candidly?
10. Hooks said that teachers sometimes felt that their creativity was being suppressed. In what way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hooks mentioned several of her life experiences from childhood to adulthood. Do you think this was ONLY to give you background about her? If so, why do you feel that is significant? If not, do you think those experiences greatly influenced her to become a teacher or to write this book? If so, give specific examples mentioned in the book and correlate them to why she became a teacher or wrote the book?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Hooks' relationship with Ron Scapp. Did they relate to each other romantically? How did they affect each other as teachers? How did race and gender play as factors in their relationship? How did people in the outside world receive them? Were their social class upbringings similar or different? How?
Essay Topic 3
How did Hooks feel about her work not being published by a university publishing company? What possible reason did she give for why it was not? What effect did this have on her?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)