|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hooks say should replace the hierarchies that are dismantled?
2. What feeling towards men in her adult life did Hooks have as a result of her childhood?
3. How did Hooks say her students feel about the input they have to offer?
4. In Chapter 12, what did Hooks say about the experience of white women?
5. Hooks began Chapter 10 by setting up the tension between what two groups?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hooks say about girls and the oppressive conditions they face?
2. How did Hooks address the issue of dominance in Chapter 8?
3. Hooks said that teachers sometimes felt that their creativity was being suppressed. In what way?
4. What did Hooks say about language and its influence on the learning process?
5. What racial topic did Hooks mention in Chapter 12 that was mentioned in previous chapters?
6. What did Hooks say about black authors and feminists being one in the same?
7. In Chapter 8, what hierarchies did Hooks talk about dismantling? What will replace them?
8. What was Hooks' profession at the time she wrote this book? When was the book published?
9. What did Hooks say about the method she used to teach her students when the majority of them were black?
10. Hooks used Chapter 9 to do what with many of the ideas she previously discussed? How did the readers feel about these ideas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Was the manner in which Hooks taught different when the majority of students were black as opposed to a majority of white? Explain how. How did she say her black students reacted to the white perspective of feminism?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 12, what was Hooks' opinion of the way the public views feminist theory? What did she believe could happen because of this? Did she believe a feminist backlash had taken place? If so, what did she hope for in terms of a resolution?
Essay Topic 3
How did Hooks feel about the way her theoretical works are assessed? Are they assessed fairly or unfairly? How did she feel about the way other minorities' works are evaluated? Who set the standard for how theoretical works are judged? Did she think there should be a change to how the standard is set?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)