|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of experiences did Hooks write about in Chapter 8?
2. What is a difference between the upbringing of Hooks and her friend?
3. When Hooks teaches feminist theory classes that include a majority of white women, what interest does she find that many of the women have in feminist theory?
4. According to Chapter 9, individuals from what portion of Asia make up the dominant minority group in a number of places in the US?
5. According to Chapter 9, something about this book is symptomatic of what two things?
Short Essay Questions
1. What racial topic did Hooks mention in Chapter 12 that was mentioned in previous chapters?
2. Who was Ron Scapp? What role did he play in Hooks' life?
3. What new experience did Hooks say many American blacks are currently facing?
4. What was Hooks' profession at the time she wrote this book? When was the book published?
5. What did Hooks notice about classes that consisted mainly of white women concerning their interest in feminist theory?
6. What special characteristics are mentioned about Chapter 12?
7. What did Hooks say about the relationship between black and white women and white women and black men?
8. Hooks said that teachers sometimes felt that their creativity was being suppressed. In what way?
9. What did Hooks say about her making space for others to speak about class, race and gender issues?
10. What did Hooks say about a woman's social status and its connection to her partner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What social class did Hooks grow up in? Did this affect her social class as an adult? Are there other aspects of her life affected by her class as a child? How did Hooks relate one's class to how they learn?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 12, what was Hooks' opinion of the way the public views feminist theory? What did she believe could happen because of this? Did she believe a feminist backlash had taken place? If so, what did she hope for in terms of a resolution?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Chela Sandoval? What role did she play in Hooks' life in terms of teaching and education as a whole? What did Hooks think of Sandoval's work? What did Hooks say the public thinks of Sandoval's work?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)