|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hooks say about the set of actions of behaviors that teachers can exhibit?
2. What did Chapter 14 say about the role the students say the teacher has in the learning process?
3. Chapter 14 said that Chapter 15 is devoted to what type of issues?
4. According to Chapter 10, many believed sexual relationships across racial boundaries are which of the following?
5. What did Hooks learn specifically about young, black men in terms of how they feel about social issues (i.e. sexism, racism)?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hooks say about her making space for others to speak about class, race and gender issues?
2. What special characteristics are mentioned about Chapter 12?
3. According to Chapter 9, in what way was "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" a failure?
4. Who is the target audience for "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" and what does this mean?
5. What did Hooks observe about the relationship between black women and white men? In what contexts did she speak of this relationship?
6. What did Hooks say about girls and the oppressive conditions they face?
7. What did Hooks say about black authors and feminists being one in the same?
8. What was the main issue addressed in Chapter 13? What was the first thing mentioned about this issue?
9. What group did Hooks thank as being the first audience who gave her the opportunity to discuss the main topic of Chapter 15 candidly?
10. What racial topic did Hooks mention in Chapter 12 that was mentioned in previous chapters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Hooks, when is education at its best? What do teachers believe about their role before students are encouraged to participate in the learning process? What did Hooks believe about proper instructional methods and participation from students?
Essay Topic 2
As a child, what was Hooks' experience with the patriarchal system? Was it something she agreed or disagreed with? How did she approach the patriarchal system as an adult? How is "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" influenced by the patriarchal system?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Hooks' relationship with Ron Scapp. Did they relate to each other romantically? How did they affect each other as teachers? How did race and gender play as factors in their relationship? How did people in the outside world receive them? Were their social class upbringings similar or different? How?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)