|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hooks said a woman's attachment to a given man could do what?
2. According to Hooks, where and how to teach greatly affects whom?
3. In Chapter 8, Hooks spoke of the importance of doing what to people?
4. According to Hooks, when is the system of oppression appropriate?
5. Whom did Hooks thank as the first forum that allowed her talk about the main issue discussed in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new experience did Hooks say many American blacks are currently facing?
2. In Chapter 8, what hierarchies did Hooks talk about dismantling? What will replace them?
3. What was the main issue addressed in Chapter 13? What was the first thing mentioned about this issue?
4. What did Hooks say about a woman's social status and its connection to her partner?
5. What special characteristics are mentioned about Chapter 12?
6. Hooks used Chapter 9 to do what with many of the ideas she previously discussed? How did the readers feel about these ideas?
7. What did Hooks observe about the relationship between black women and white men? In what contexts did she speak of this relationship?
8. What did Hooks say about language and its influence on the learning process?
9. According to Chapter 9, in what way was "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" a failure?
10. What did Hooks notice about classes that consisted mainly of white women concerning their interest in feminist theory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Hook's view of white supremacy. Did she agree that this concept was a necessary part of society? If not, what did she agree with in its place? What examples did Hooks give of times in her life that she was exposed to this notion?
Essay Topic 2
How did Hooks feel about the way her theoretical works are assessed? Are they assessed fairly or unfairly? How did she feel about the way other minorities' works are evaluated? Who set the standard for how theoretical works are judged? Did she think there should be a change to how the standard is set?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Hooks' overall perception of black women and white women. What similarities does she mention between the two groups? What differences? What does Hooks say is the focus of white women who are involved in feminist theory? What about the black women involved in feminist theory? How do the black and white women interact when it comes to competing for the attention of black men?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)