|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the experiences mentioned in Chapter 8, silence of what issues ended for Hooks?
2. Hooks discussed the limitations of what?
3. What relationship did Hooks say the formerly oppressed should have with former oppressors?
4. What did Hooks say about the set of actions of behaviors that teachers can exhibit?
5. In Chapter 14, what did Hooks say has influenced the learning process?
Short Essay Questions
1. What accusation did Hooks say many black men face when in a relationship with a white woman?
2. What did Hooks notice about classes that consisted mainly of white women concerning their interest in feminist theory?
3. Who is the target audience for "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" and what does this mean?
4. What new experience did Hooks say many American blacks are currently facing?
5. What was Hooks' profession at the time she wrote this book? When was the book published?
6. Who was Ron Scapp? What role did he play in Hooks' life?
7. What did Hooks say about language and its influence on the learning process?
8. According to Chapter 9, in what way was "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" a failure?
9. How did Hooks describe the patriarchal system she grew up in?
10. What group did Hooks thank as being the first audience who gave her the opportunity to discuss the main topic of Chapter 15 candidly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Hooks, when is education at its best? What do teachers believe about their role before students are encouraged to participate in the learning process? What did Hooks believe about proper instructional methods and participation from students?
Essay Topic 2
Hooks mentioned several of her life experiences from childhood to adulthood. Do you think this was ONLY to give you background about her? If so, why do you feel that is significant? If not, do you think those experiences greatly influenced her to become a teacher or to write this book? If so, give specific examples mentioned in the book and correlate them to why she became a teacher or wrote the book?
Essay Topic 3
How did Hooks feel about her work not being published by a university publishing company? What possible reason did she give for why it was not? What effect did this have on her?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)