|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What problem did Hooks say white women face in terms of white men?
2. How did Hooks view the instructional methods used by teachers?
3. What did Hooks say is the most important thing for students and teachers to help implement improved strategies?
4. What did Hooks learn specifically about young, black men in terms of how they feel about social issues (i.e. sexism, racism)?
5. What type of experiences did Hooks write about in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Chapter 9, in what way was "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" a failure?
2. How did Hooks describe the patriarchal system she grew up in?
3. What did Hooks say about language and its influence on the learning process?
4. How did Hooks address the issue of dominance in Chapter 8?
5. Hooks used Chapter 9 to do what with many of the ideas she previously discussed? How did the readers feel about these ideas?
6. What racial topic did Hooks mention in Chapter 12 that was mentioned in previous chapters?
7. What accusation did Hooks say many black men face when in a relationship with a white woman?
8. What did Hooks say about the relationship between black and white women and white women and black men?
9. What new experience did Hooks say many American blacks are currently facing?
10. Chapter 14 gave a preview to the main topic addressed in Chapter 15. What was the issue? What was the first observation that Hooks made?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a child, what was Hooks' experience with the patriarchal system? Was it something she agreed or disagreed with? How did she approach the patriarchal system as an adult? How is "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" influenced by the patriarchal system?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 12, what was Hooks' opinion of the way the public views feminist theory? What did she believe could happen because of this? Did she believe a feminist backlash had taken place? If so, what did she hope for in terms of a resolution?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Hook's view of white supremacy. Did she agree that this concept was a necessary part of society? If not, what did she agree with in its place? What examples did Hooks give of times in her life that she was exposed to this notion?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)