|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a difference between the upbringing of Hooks and her friend?
2. During the experiences mentioned in Chapter 8, silence of what issues ended for Hooks?
3. What did Hooks discuss in Chapter 13?
4. What racial tension did Hooks mention in Chapter 12 that she mentioned in previous chapters?
5. Chapter 14 said that Chapter 15 is devoted to what type of issues?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Hooks' profession at the time she wrote this book? When was the book published?
2. Who is the target audience for "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" and what does this mean?
3. What was the main issue addressed in Chapter 13? What was the first thing mentioned about this issue?
4. What racial topic did Hooks mention in Chapter 12 that was mentioned in previous chapters?
5. What group did Hooks thank as being the first audience who gave her the opportunity to discuss the main topic of Chapter 15 candidly?
6. What did Hooks say in Chapter 12 about the present state of feminist theory?
7. How did Hooks describe the patriarchal system she grew up in?
8. What did Hooks say about the relationship between black and white women and white women and black men?
9. What did Hooks say about a woman's social status and its connection to her partner?
10. What did Hooks say about language and its influence on the learning process?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Hooks' overall perception of black women and white women. What similarities does she mention between the two groups? What differences? What does Hooks say is the focus of white women who are involved in feminist theory? What about the black women involved in feminist theory? How do the black and white women interact when it comes to competing for the attention of black men?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Chela Sandoval? What role did she play in Hooks' life in terms of teaching and education as a whole? What did Hooks think of Sandoval's work? What did Hooks say the public thinks of Sandoval's work?
Essay Topic 3
As a child, what was Hooks' experience with the patriarchal system? Was it something she agreed or disagreed with? How did she approach the patriarchal system as an adult? How is "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" influenced by the patriarchal system?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)