|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hooks say about the presence of a teacher in a classroom?
2. What problem did Hooks say white women face in terms of white men?
3. According to Hooks, who are more vulnerable to white men than white women?
4. When Hooks was speaking of oppression in Chapter 8, to whom was she referring?
5. What was the major problem Hooks faced within the patriarchal framework?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hooks say about language and its influence on the learning process?
2. Who is the target audience for "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" and what does this mean?
3. Hooks used Chapter 9 to do what with many of the ideas she previously discussed? How did the readers feel about these ideas?
4. How did Hooks describe the patriarchal system she grew up in?
5. What special characteristics are mentioned about Chapter 12?
6. How did Hooks address the issue of dominance in Chapter 8?
7. What was the main issue addressed in Chapter 13? What was the first thing mentioned about this issue?
8. What was Hooks' profession at the time she wrote this book? When was the book published?
9. What did Hooks say about her making space for others to speak about class, race and gender issues?
10. Who was Ron Scapp? What role did he play in Hooks' life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what Hooks said about women who had been exposed to higher education and how they will view her work. From what perspective did they interpret her work?
Essay Topic 2
Hooks mentioned several of her life experiences from childhood to adulthood. Do you think this was ONLY to give you background about her? If so, why do you feel that is significant? If not, do you think those experiences greatly influenced her to become a teacher or to write this book? If so, give specific examples mentioned in the book and correlate them to why she became a teacher or wrote the book?
Essay Topic 3
What two reasons were given for why Hooks used the pseudonym "bell hooks"? Why did she not use capital letters? Give specific examples of where these reasons were evident throughout the book.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)