|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which of the following did Hooks NOT say the patriarchal structure was the ruling force of?
2. According to Chapter 9, something about this book is symptomatic of what two things?
3. What type of market did "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" appeal to?
4. Hooks discussed the limitations of what?
5. What did Chapter 14 say about the role the students say the teacher has in the learning process?
Short Essay Questions
1. Hooks used Chapter 9 to do what with many of the ideas she previously discussed? How did the readers feel about these ideas?
2. Chapter 14 gave a preview to the main topic addressed in Chapter 15. What was the issue? What was the first observation that Hooks made?
3. How did Hooks describe the patriarchal system she grew up in?
4. What does Hooks say about her students and liberating practices?
5. What did Hooks say about black authors and feminists being one in the same?
6. What accusation did Hooks say many black men face when in a relationship with a white woman?
7. What did Hooks notice about classes that consisted mainly of white women concerning their interest in feminist theory?
8. What did Hooks say about girls and the oppressive conditions they face?
9. What did Hooks say about the relationship between black and white women and white women and black men?
10. What racial topic did Hooks mention in Chapter 12 that was mentioned in previous chapters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Hooks' overall perception of black women and white women. What similarities does she mention between the two groups? What differences? What does Hooks say is the focus of white women who are involved in feminist theory? What about the black women involved in feminist theory? How do the black and white women interact when it comes to competing for the attention of black men?
Essay Topic 2
What did Hooks say about a poor woman's need for making money as an adult? What did these women consider a good job? Generally, what did their job prospects look like?
Essay Topic 3
What was Hooks' experience with using liberating teaching methods in the classroom as opposed to traditional teaching methods? How did her students respond to the use of both methods?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)