|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Hooks say is expected to accept a greater degree of being silenced?
2. Who was the main target audience of this book?
3. Hooks used Chapter 9 to do what with many of her ideas?
4. What did Hooks say about the set of actions of behaviors that teachers can exhibit?
5. How did Hooks view the instructional methods used by teachers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What special characteristics are mentioned about Chapter 12?
2. What did Hooks say about the method she used to teach her students when the majority of them were black?
3. What did Hooks say about her making space for others to speak about class, race and gender issues?
4. Who is the target audience for "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" and what does this mean?
5. What did Hooks say about black authors and feminists being one in the same?
6. What did Hooks say about a woman's social status and its connection to her partner?
7. What did Hooks say about language and its influence on the learning process?
8. How did Hooks describe the patriarchal system she grew up in?
9. What accusation did Hooks say many black men face when in a relationship with a white woman?
10. What does Hooks say about her students and liberating practices?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What perspectives did Hooks experience with regard to sexuality and education? How did they influence the way she taught? How did these experiences ultimately resolve? What place did Hooks say sexuality should have in education?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Hook's view of white supremacy. Did she agree that this concept was a necessary part of society? If not, what did she agree with in its place? What examples did Hooks give of times in her life that she was exposed to this notion?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Hooks' experience with integration of schools. Was it positive or negative? What did she learn from the experience? How did this integration serve as a historical moment for Hooks later in life?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)