|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hooks say blurred the demarcation of what indicated a wealthy person versus a poor person?
2. According to Hooks, where and how to teach greatly affects whom?
3. In Chapter 14, what did Hooks say has influenced the learning process?
4. What did Hooks say about the presence of a teacher in a classroom?
5. In the context of class, what did Hooks say could happen to the status of the black partner within an interracial (black/white) relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hooks notice about classes that consisted mainly of white women concerning their interest in feminist theory?
2. What group did Hooks thank as being the first audience who gave her the opportunity to discuss the main topic of Chapter 15 candidly?
3. What did Hooks say about language and its influence on the learning process?
4. What accusation did Hooks say many black men face when in a relationship with a white woman?
5. According to Hooks, what affected how she subjectively related to teaching?
6. What new experience did Hooks say many American blacks are currently facing?
7. What did Hooks say about the method she used to teach her students when the majority of them were black?
8. What did Hooks say about black authors and feminists being one in the same?
9. What did Hooks observe about the relationship between black women and white men? In what contexts did she speak of this relationship?
10. What did Hooks say in Chapter 12 about the present state of feminist theory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Hooks' relationship with Ron Scapp. Did they relate to each other romantically? How did they affect each other as teachers? How did race and gender play as factors in their relationship? How did people in the outside world receive them? Were their social class upbringings similar or different? How?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Hooks' experience with integration of schools. Was it positive or negative? What did she learn from the experience? How did this integration serve as a historical moment for Hooks later in life?
Essay Topic 3
As a child, what was Hooks' experience with the patriarchal system? Was it something she agreed or disagreed with? How did she approach the patriarchal system as an adult? How is "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" influenced by the patriarchal system?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)