|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What company published "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom"?
2. According to Chapter 9, something about this book is symptomatic of what two things?
3. What type of market did "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" appeal to?
4. In Chapter 12, what did Hooks say about the experience of white women?
5. Hooks discussed the limitations of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the main issue addressed in Chapter 13? What was the first thing mentioned about this issue?
2. According to Chapter 9, in what way was "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" a failure?
3. What did Hooks say about her making space for others to speak about class, race and gender issues?
4. Who is the target audience for "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" and what does this mean?
5. According to Hooks, what affected how she subjectively related to teaching?
6. What group did Hooks thank as being the first audience who gave her the opportunity to discuss the main topic of Chapter 15 candidly?
7. What did Hooks observe about the relationship between black women and white men? In what contexts did she speak of this relationship?
8. Hooks used Chapter 9 to do what with many of the ideas she previously discussed? How did the readers feel about these ideas?
9. What did Hooks notice about classes that consisted mainly of white women concerning their interest in feminist theory?
10. What did Hooks say in Chapter 12 about the present state of feminist theory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did Hooks say about a poor woman's need for making money as an adult? What did these women consider a good job? Generally, what did their job prospects look like?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Chela Sandoval? What role did she play in Hooks' life in terms of teaching and education as a whole? What did Hooks think of Sandoval's work? What did Hooks say the public thinks of Sandoval's work?
Essay Topic 3
How did Hooks feel about the way her theoretical works are assessed? Are they assessed fairly or unfairly? How did she feel about the way other minorities' works are evaluated? Who set the standard for how theoretical works are judged? Did she think there should be a change to how the standard is set?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)