|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Hooks feel within her family?
2. What did Hooks say about the works that were published by the Latina theorist mentioned?
3. In the continuation of Chapter 5, what did Hooks think about the interracial atmosphere?
4. What did Hooks feel like she was always punished for?
5. Hooks said when creating and sustaining theories, what difference is important to consider?
Short Essay Questions
1. In terms of the types of job opportunities available for poor people, what was Hooks' view?
2. In Chapter 6, what qualities did Hooks say a woman might possess to show that she is successful?
3. What were the two possible reasons mentioned in Chapter 4 that explain why "bell hooks" did not capitalize her pseudonym?
4. What did Hooks say about the effect of the feminist theory?
5. What did Hooks say about self-actualization?
6. What did Hooks say about the political nature of education?
7. Was Hooks' first integrated friendship received with open arms?
8. What did Hooks say about the psyches of women?
9. What were Hooks' views on nurturing independent thinking within the higher education environment?
10. In Chapter 1, what did Hooks say about the Vietnamese Buddhist monk, Thich Nhat Hanh?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What perspectives did Hooks experience with regard to sexuality and education? How did they influence the way she taught? How did these experiences ultimately resolve? What place did Hooks say sexuality should have in education?
Essay Topic 2
How did Hooks feel about the way her theoretical works are assessed? Are they assessed fairly or unfairly? How did she feel about the way other minorities' works are evaluated? Who set the standard for how theoretical works are judged? Did she think there should be a change to how the standard is set?
Essay Topic 3
What social class did Hooks grow up in? Did this affect her social class as an adult? Are there other aspects of her life affected by her class as a child? How did Hooks relate one's class to how they learn?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)