|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what did Hooks say with regard to all-black schools and the education process?
2. What type of person did Hooks say would most likely recognize how significant her work is?
3. What was the first topic that Hooks talked about in Chapter 3?
4. What type of theorist is the Latina theorist mentioned in Chapter 5?
5. According to Hooks, what is the great road of progress for poor men and women with regard to employment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hooks say in Chapter 3 about individual instructors' ability to speak freely in meetings at Oberlin?
2. What were the two possible reasons mentioned in Chapter 4 that explain why "bell hooks" did not capitalize her pseudonym?
3. What did Hooks say about poor people and the need to earn money as adults?
4. What did Hooks say about self-actualization?
5. According to Hooks, in what way did the concept of subject play a role?
6. In terms of the types of job opportunities available for poor people, what was Hooks' view?
7. What did Hooks say about the general assessment of the theoretical works of women of color?
8. What did Hooks say about the psyches of women?
9. How did Hooks say it made her feel when she was not heard by her male colleagues?
10. What role did Hooks say student participation plays in the education process?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Was the manner in which Hooks taught different when the majority of students were black as opposed to a majority of white? Explain how. How did she say her black students reacted to the white perspective of feminism?
Essay Topic 2
According to Hooks, when is education at its best? What do teachers believe about their role before students are encouraged to participate in the learning process? What did Hooks believe about proper instructional methods and participation from students?
Essay Topic 3
How did Hooks feel about her work not being published by a university publishing company? What possible reason did she give for why it was not? What effect did this have on her?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)