|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did Hooks say is a feminist statement?
2. What is different about the way Hooks prints her pseudonym on the cover of the book than you would find on most books?
3. Hooks said who must be happy in order for education to be most effective?
4. What did Hooks say about some deceptions?
5. How did Hooks write the essay in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Hooks feel like her theoretical works were harshly criticized?
2. How did Hooks say "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" affected women who have been educated by the male system?
3. What did Hooks say about poor people and the need to earn money as adults?
4. What form of speech did Hooks use to describe Paulo Freire, one of her intellectual influences?
5. What were the two possible reasons mentioned in Chapter 4 that explain why "bell hooks" did not capitalize her pseudonym?
6. In terms of the types of job opportunities available for poor people, what was Hooks' view?
7. What did Hooks say about the effect of the feminist theory?
8. What was the overall theme of "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" up to Chapter 6?
9. According to Hooks, in what way did the concept of subject play a role?
10. Was Hooks' first integrated friendship received with open arms?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What perspectives did Hooks experience with regard to sexuality and education? How did they influence the way she taught? How did these experiences ultimately resolve? What place did Hooks say sexuality should have in education?
Essay Topic 2
How did Hooks feel about the way her theoretical works are assessed? Are they assessed fairly or unfairly? How did she feel about the way other minorities' works are evaluated? Who set the standard for how theoretical works are judged? Did she think there should be a change to how the standard is set?
Essay Topic 3
Was the manner in which Hooks taught different when the majority of students were black as opposed to a majority of white? Explain how. How did she say her black students reacted to the white perspective of feminism?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)