|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The bulk of Hooks' "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" cites which of the following?
2. Chapter 4 is an essay that mainly talked about how the works of Hooks' intellectual influence has been what?
3. According to Hooks, what is automatically excluded when the standard of good theoretical works is established?
4. What did Hooks say about the work options for poorer people?
5. How did Hooks write the essay in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hooks say about the general assessment of the theoretical works of women of color?
2. Hooks' first experience of racial integration was during her post-secondary school years. What was her perception of integration and education?
3. How did Hooks describe dishonesty and how it can affect progress?
4. What description of her past did Hooks give in Chapter 5 that enabled the reader to understand her view of the patriarchal system?
5. What examples did Hooks give in Chapter 6 about the signs of success for a man?
6. What did Hooks say about the political nature of education?
7. In Chapter 6, what qualities did Hooks say a woman might possess to show that she is successful?
8. In Chapter 5, what issue did Hook face again within academic atmospheres?
9. What role did Hooks say student participation plays in the education process?
10. In Chapter 1, what did Hooks say about the Vietnamese Buddhist monk, Thich Nhat Hanh?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Hooks' overall perception of black women and white women. What similarities does she mention between the two groups? What differences? What does Hooks say is the focus of white women who are involved in feminist theory? What about the black women involved in feminist theory? How do the black and white women interact when it comes to competing for the attention of black men?
Essay Topic 2
Describe what Hooks said about women who had been exposed to higher education and how they will view her work. From what perspective did they interpret her work?
Essay Topic 3
Was the manner in which Hooks taught different when the majority of students were black as opposed to a majority of white? Explain how. How did she say her black students reacted to the white perspective of feminism?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)