|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the continuation of Chapter 5, what did Hooks think about the interracial atmosphere?
2. According to the continuation of Chapter 5, what did Hooks say about the method of achieving higher results when analyzing theoretical works?
3. What did Hooks say about some deceptions?
4. What did Hooks believe blacks had to do in order to attend traditionally white schools?
5. What did Hooks say is necessary in order to achieve higher quality results when analyzing theoretical works?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hooks say in Chapter 3 about individual instructors' ability to speak freely in meetings at Oberlin?
2. How did Hooks say it made her feel when she was not heard by her male colleagues?
3. What did Hooks say about where the majority of feminist writings come from?
4. What did Hooks say about poor people and the need to earn money as adults?
5. What description of her past did Hooks give in Chapter 5 that enabled the reader to understand her view of the patriarchal system?
6. What were the two possible reasons mentioned in Chapter 4 that explain why "bell hooks" did not capitalize her pseudonym?
7. What role did Hooks say student participation plays in the education process?
8. In Chapter 1, what did Hooks say about the Vietnamese Buddhist monk, Thich Nhat Hanh?
9. What did Hooks say about the political nature of education?
10. Was Hooks' first integrated friendship received with open arms?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Hooks associate language with learning and her students? How did her students feel about being able to speak in the classroom? How did Hooks feel about her ability to speak within the classroom? Did anyone influence how she speaks and what she teaches?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 12, what was Hooks' opinion of the way the public views feminist theory? What did she believe could happen because of this? Did she believe a feminist backlash had taken place? If so, what did she hope for in terms of a resolution?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Hooks' experience with integration of schools. Was it positive or negative? What did she learn from the experience? How did this integration serve as a historical moment for Hooks later in life?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)