|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose theoretical work did Hooks say may not properly be assessed?
2. In Chapter 5, what was the relationship status of Hooks' parents?
3. How did Hooks write the essay in Chapter 4?
4. In the continuation of Chapter 5, what did Hooks think about the interracial atmosphere?
5. What main concepts were used in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hooks say about the general assessment of the theoretical works of women of color?
2. What did Hooks say about the political nature of education?
3. Hooks' first experience of racial integration was during her post-secondary school years. What was her perception of integration and education?
4. What form of speech did Hooks use to describe Paulo Freire, one of her intellectual influences?
5. What were the two possible reasons mentioned in Chapter 4 that explain why "bell hooks" did not capitalize her pseudonym?
6. What description of her past did Hooks give in Chapter 5 that enabled the reader to understand her view of the patriarchal system?
7. In Chapter 5, what issue did Hook face again within academic atmospheres?
8. Why did Hooks feel like her theoretical works were harshly criticized?
9. Was Hooks' first integrated friendship received with open arms?
10. What role did Hooks say student participation plays in the education process?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what Hooks said about women who had been exposed to higher education and how they will view her work. From what perspective did they interpret her work?
Essay Topic 2
How did Hooks feel about her work not being published by a university publishing company? What possible reason did she give for why it was not? What effect did this have on her?
Essay Topic 3
Hooks mentioned several of her life experiences from childhood to adulthood. Do you think this was ONLY to give you background about her? If so, why do you feel that is significant? If not, do you think those experiences greatly influenced her to become a teacher or to write this book? If so, give specific examples mentioned in the book and correlate them to why she became a teacher or wrote the book?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)