|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hooks say is necessary in order to achieve higher quality results when analyzing theoretical works?
2. Which of the following is stated in Chapter 6 about a man who has a high-paying career?
3. In Chapter 5, what was the relationship status of Hooks' parents?
4. According to Hooks, students many times believe that learning is what?
5. In Chapter 1, whose work did Hooks mention?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hooks say about self-actualization?
2. In Chapter 5, what issue did Hook face again within academic atmospheres?
3. What examples did Hooks give in Chapter 6 about the signs of success for a man?
4. What did Hooks say is the other side to creating high standards of theoretical work that exclude certain groups?
5. What did Hooks say about the general assessment of the theoretical works of women of color?
6. According to Hooks, in what way did the concept of subject play a role?
7. In terms of the types of job opportunities available for poor people, what was Hooks' view?
8. In Chapter 1, what did Hooks say about the Vietnamese Buddhist monk, Thich Nhat Hanh?
9. What did Hooks say about poor people and the need to earn money as adults?
10. What description of her past did Hooks give in Chapter 5 that enabled the reader to understand her view of the patriarchal system?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What social class did Hooks grow up in? Did this affect her social class as an adult? Are there other aspects of her life affected by her class as a child? How did Hooks relate one's class to how they learn?
Essay Topic 2
How did Hooks feel about the way her theoretical works are assessed? Are they assessed fairly or unfairly? How did she feel about the way other minorities' works are evaluated? Who set the standard for how theoretical works are judged? Did she think there should be a change to how the standard is set?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Hooks' overall perception of black women and white women. What similarities does she mention between the two groups? What differences? What does Hooks say is the focus of white women who are involved in feminist theory? What about the black women involved in feminist theory? How do the black and white women interact when it comes to competing for the attention of black men?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)