|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of theorist is the Latina theorist mentioned in Chapter 5?
2. What did Hooks say is a token of progress among women?
3. In terms of race, what type of attitude did Hooks discuss in Chapter 5?
4. What example did Hooks give of something a woman has done to build a solid female intellectual tradition ?
5. At the end of Chapter 3, what school did Hooks mention?
Short Essay Questions
1. What form of speech did Hooks use to describe Paulo Freire, one of her intellectual influences?
2. What did Hooks say about where the majority of feminist writings come from?
3. What did Hooks say about the political nature of education?
4. What did Hooks say about the general assessment of the theoretical works of women of color?
5. What role did Hooks say student participation plays in the education process?
6. What did Hooks say in Chapter 3 about individual instructors' ability to speak freely in meetings at Oberlin?
7. In terms of the types of job opportunities available for poor people, what was Hooks' view?
8. What was the overall theme of "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" up to Chapter 6?
9. Why did Hooks feel like her theoretical works were harshly criticized?
10. What examples did Hooks give in Chapter 6 about the signs of success for a man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a child, what was Hooks' experience with the patriarchal system? Was it something she agreed or disagreed with? How did she approach the patriarchal system as an adult? How is "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" influenced by the patriarchal system?
Essay Topic 2
What perspectives did Hooks experience with regard to sexuality and education? How did they influence the way she taught? How did these experiences ultimately resolve? What place did Hooks say sexuality should have in education?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 12, what was Hooks' opinion of the way the public views feminist theory? What did she believe could happen because of this? Did she believe a feminist backlash had taken place? If so, what did she hope for in terms of a resolution?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)