|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hooks say about the works that were published by the Latina theorist mentioned?
2. In Chapter 1, whose work did Hooks mention?
3. How did Hooks feel within her family?
4. Which of the following did Hooks say is a feminist statement?
5. What main concepts were used in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What description of her past did Hooks give in Chapter 5 that enabled the reader to understand her view of the patriarchal system?
2. What did Hooks say is the other side to creating high standards of theoretical work that exclude certain groups?
3. In Chapter 1, what did Hooks say about the Vietnamese Buddhist monk, Thich Nhat Hanh?
4. Hooks' first experience of racial integration was during her post-secondary school years. What was her perception of integration and education?
5. How did Hooks describe dishonesty and how it can affect progress?
6. In Chapter 5, what issue did Hook face again within academic atmospheres?
7. How did Hooks say it made her feel when she was not heard by her male colleagues?
8. What form of speech did Hooks use to describe Paulo Freire, one of her intellectual influences?
9. What did Hooks say about poor people and the need to earn money as adults?
10. What role did Hooks say student participation plays in the education process?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Hooks associate language with learning and her students? How did her students feel about being able to speak in the classroom? How did Hooks feel about her ability to speak within the classroom? Did anyone influence how she speaks and what she teaches?
Essay Topic 2
How did Hooks feel about the way her theoretical works are assessed? Are they assessed fairly or unfairly? How did she feel about the way other minorities' works are evaluated? Who set the standard for how theoretical works are judged? Did she think there should be a change to how the standard is set?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 12, what was Hooks' opinion of the way the public views feminist theory? What did she believe could happen because of this? Did she believe a feminist backlash had taken place? If so, what did she hope for in terms of a resolution?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)