|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Hooks compare the characteristics of middle and upper class women to men of the same class?
2. According to Hooks, what should be a teacher's role with regard to students within a classroom and their interaction with other students in the classroom?
3. What did Hooks say is not necessarily found in all social classes?
4. In Chapter 1, what did Hooks say with regard to all-black schools and the education process?
5. What did Hooks say is necessary in order to achieve higher quality results when analyzing theoretical works?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role did Hooks say student participation plays in the education process?
2. What did Hooks say about the psyches of women?
3. How did Hooks say "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" affected women who have been educated by the male system?
4. Was Hooks' first integrated friendship received with open arms?
5. What did Hooks say about the effect of the feminist theory?
6. How did Hooks say it made her feel when she was not heard by her male colleagues?
7. What description of her past did Hooks give in Chapter 5 that enabled the reader to understand her view of the patriarchal system?
8. What examples did Hooks give in Chapter 6 about the signs of success for a man?
9. What did Hooks say in Chapter 3 about individual instructors' ability to speak freely in meetings at Oberlin?
10. What did Hooks say about self-actualization?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Hooks feel about the way her theoretical works are assessed? Are they assessed fairly or unfairly? How did she feel about the way other minorities' works are evaluated? Who set the standard for how theoretical works are judged? Did she think there should be a change to how the standard is set?
Essay Topic 2
What was Hooks' experience with using liberating teaching methods in the classroom as opposed to traditional teaching methods? How did her students respond to the use of both methods?
Essay Topic 3
How did Hooks associate language with learning and her students? How did her students feel about being able to speak in the classroom? How did Hooks feel about her ability to speak within the classroom? Did anyone influence how she speaks and what she teaches?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)