|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Latina theorist did Hooks introduce in Chapter 5?
2. What did Hooks believe blacks had to do in order to attend traditionally white schools?
3. According to the continuation of Chapter 5, what did Hooks say about the method of achieving higher results when analyzing theoretical works?
4. When did Hooks say finding a way to release the sense of dominance and oppression is crucial?
5. At what point in her school career did Hooks' personal experience take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was Hooks' first integrated friendship received with open arms?
2. What form of speech did Hooks use to describe Paulo Freire, one of her intellectual influences?
3. What did Hooks say about where the majority of feminist writings come from?
4. How did Hooks say "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" affected women who have been educated by the male system?
5. What role did Hooks say student participation plays in the education process?
6. In Chapter 1, what did Hooks say about the Vietnamese Buddhist monk, Thich Nhat Hanh?
7. How did Hooks say it made her feel when she was not heard by her male colleagues?
8. What did Hooks say about poor people and the need to earn money as adults?
9. In what way did Hooks describe her feeling like an outsider within her own home?
10. What examples did Hooks give in Chapter 6 about the signs of success for a man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Hooks associate language with learning and her students? How did her students feel about being able to speak in the classroom? How did Hooks feel about her ability to speak within the classroom? Did anyone influence how she speaks and what she teaches?
Essay Topic 2
How did Hooks feel about the way her theoretical works are assessed? Are they assessed fairly or unfairly? How did she feel about the way other minorities' works are evaluated? Who set the standard for how theoretical works are judged? Did she think there should be a change to how the standard is set?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Chela Sandoval? What role did she play in Hooks' life in terms of teaching and education as a whole? What did Hooks think of Sandoval's work? What did Hooks say the public thinks of Sandoval's work?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)