|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was one of Hooks' intellectual influences?
2. What type of tension did Hooks say is apparent in the teaching profession?
3. According to Hooks, what group of people were the masterminds behind the control system?
4. In Hooks' experience, what type of classes promotes a very high degree of the freedom of student involvement?
5. When did Hooks say finding a way to release the sense of dominance and oppression is crucial?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role did Hooks say student participation plays in the education process?
2. What did Hooks say about the effect of the feminist theory?
3. What was the overall theme of "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" up to Chapter 6?
4. What did Hooks say in Chapter 3 about individual instructors' ability to speak freely in meetings at Oberlin?
5. In terms of the types of job opportunities available for poor people, what was Hooks' view?
6. What did Hooks say is the other side to creating high standards of theoretical work that exclude certain groups?
7. What did Hooks say about the general assessment of the theoretical works of women of color?
8. In Chapter 5, what issue did Hook face again within academic atmospheres?
9. In Chapter 6, what qualities did Hooks say a woman might possess to show that she is successful?
10. How did Hooks say "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" affected women who have been educated by the male system?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What two reasons were given for why Hooks used the pseudonym "bell hooks"? Why did she not use capital letters? Give specific examples of where these reasons were evident throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Hooks' relationship with Ron Scapp. Did they relate to each other romantically? How did they affect each other as teachers? How did race and gender play as factors in their relationship? How did people in the outside world receive them? Were their social class upbringings similar or different? How?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Chela Sandoval? What role did she play in Hooks' life in terms of teaching and education as a whole? What did Hooks think of Sandoval's work? What did Hooks say the public thinks of Sandoval's work?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)