|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose theoretical work did Hooks say may not properly be assessed?
2. What did Hooks say about the works that were published by the Latina theorist mentioned?
3. What did Hooks say about the work options for poorer people?
4. What did Hooks believe blacks had to do in order to attend traditionally white schools?
5. When Hooks mentioned having meetings, who was initially a part of the meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What accusation did Hooks say many black men face when in a relationship with a white woman?
2. How did Hooks describe dishonesty and how it can affect progress?
3. Hooks' first experience of racial integration was during her post-secondary school years. What was her perception of integration and education?
4. In Chapter 8, what hierarchies did Hooks talk about dismantling? What will replace them?
5. What new experience did Hooks say many American blacks are currently facing?
6. What did Hooks say about the relationship between black and white women and white women and black men?
7. What did Hooks say in Chapter 12 about the present state of feminist theory?
8. How did Hooks say "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" affected women who have been educated by the male system?
9. What did Hooks say about the general assessment of the theoretical works of women of color?
10. Who is the target audience for "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" and what does this mean?
Essay Topic 1
According to Hooks, when is education at its best? What do teachers believe about their role before students are encouraged to participate in the learning process? What did Hooks believe about proper instructional methods and participation from students?
Essay Topic 2
How did Hooks associate language with learning and her students? How did her students feel about being able to speak in the classroom? How did Hooks feel about her ability to speak within the classroom? Did anyone influence how she speaks and what she teaches?
Essay Topic 3
As a child, what was Hooks' experience with the patriarchal system? Was it something she agreed or disagreed with? How did she approach the patriarchal system as an adult? How is "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" influenced by the patriarchal system?
This section contains 1,691 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)