|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hooks believe about the best instructional teaching methods?
2. Hooks said who must be happy in order for education to be most effective?
3. What did Hooks say about a wealthy woman who works by choice?
4. What did the theorist mentioned in Chapter 7 say about himself?
5. According to Hooks, what group of people were the masterminds behind the control system?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Hooks say "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" affected women who have been educated by the male system?
2. How did Hooks say it made her feel when she was not heard by her male colleagues?
3. What did Hooks say about the general assessment of the theoretical works of women of color?
4. Was Hooks' first integrated friendship received with open arms?
5. What did Hooks say about where the majority of feminist writings come from?
6. In what way did Hooks describe her feeling like an outsider within her own home?
7. What did Hooks say about the effect of the feminist theory?
8. What did Hooks say is the other side to creating high standards of theoretical work that exclude certain groups?
9. What did Hooks say about the political nature of education?
10. What did Hooks say in Chapter 3 about individual instructors' ability to speak freely in meetings at Oberlin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What social class did Hooks grow up in? Did this affect her social class as an adult? Are there other aspects of her life affected by her class as a child? How did Hooks relate one's class to how they learn?
Essay Topic 2
How did Hooks associate language with learning and her students? How did her students feel about being able to speak in the classroom? How did Hooks feel about her ability to speak within the classroom? Did anyone influence how she speaks and what she teaches?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 12, what was Hooks' opinion of the way the public views feminist theory? What did she believe could happen because of this? Did she believe a feminist backlash had taken place? If so, what did she hope for in terms of a resolution?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)