|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, Hooks brought up the idea of race in what type of atmosphere?
2. In Chapter 1, whose work did Hooks mention?
3. In choosing the profession she would like to pursue, which of the following strongly influenced her decision?
4. Hooks' intellectual influence wrote with the biases of what?
5. What did Hooks say about the psyche of women?
Short Essay Questions
1. In terms of the types of job opportunities available for poor people, what was Hooks' view?
2. Hooks' first experience of racial integration was during her post-secondary school years. What was her perception of integration and education?
3. What role did Hooks say student participation plays in the education process?
4. What was the overall theme of "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" up to Chapter 6?
5. What were Hooks' views on nurturing independent thinking within the higher education environment?
6. What did Hooks say about self-actualization?
7. According to Hooks, in what way did the concept of subject play a role?
8. Why did Hooks feel like her theoretical works were harshly criticized?
9. What did Hooks say about the general assessment of the theoretical works of women of color?
10. In Chapter 5, what issue did Hook face again within academic atmospheres?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Hooks' experience with using liberating teaching methods in the classroom as opposed to traditional teaching methods? How did her students respond to the use of both methods?
Essay Topic 2
What social class did Hooks grow up in? Did this affect her social class as an adult? Are there other aspects of her life affected by her class as a child? How did Hooks relate one's class to how they learn?
Essay Topic 3
Was the manner in which Hooks taught different when the majority of students were black as opposed to a majority of white? Explain how. How did she say her black students reacted to the white perspective of feminism?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)