|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Hooks say writes the majority of feminist works?
2. Whose theoretical work did Hooks say may not properly be assessed?
3. What did Hooks say about the work options for poorer people?
4. In the continuation of Chapter 5, what did Hooks think about the interracial atmosphere?
5. According to Hooks, what is the great road of progress for poor men and women with regard to employment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hooks say in Chapter 3 about individual instructors' ability to speak freely in meetings at Oberlin?
2. What description of her past did Hooks give in Chapter 5 that enabled the reader to understand her view of the patriarchal system?
3. What did Hooks say about the general assessment of the theoretical works of women of color?
4. What examples did Hooks give in Chapter 6 about the signs of success for a man?
5. In what way did Hooks describe her feeling like an outsider within her own home?
6. In terms of the types of job opportunities available for poor people, what was Hooks' view?
7. What did Hooks say about self-actualization?
8. Hooks' first experience of racial integration was during her post-secondary school years. What was her perception of integration and education?
9. Was Hooks' first integrated friendship received with open arms?
10. What role did Hooks say student participation plays in the education process?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Hooks' relationship with Ron Scapp. Did they relate to each other romantically? How did they affect each other as teachers? How did race and gender play as factors in their relationship? How did people in the outside world receive them? Were their social class upbringings similar or different? How?
Essay Topic 2
According to Hooks, when is education at its best? What do teachers believe about their role before students are encouraged to participate in the learning process? What did Hooks believe about proper instructional methods and participation from students?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Hooks' overall perception of black women and white women. What similarities does she mention between the two groups? What differences? What does Hooks say is the focus of white women who are involved in feminist theory? What about the black women involved in feminist theory? How do the black and white women interact when it comes to competing for the attention of black men?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)