|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hooks say is a token of progress among women?
2. What did Hooks believe blacks had to do in order to attend traditionally white schools?
3. In Chapter 5, Hooks brought up the idea of race in what type of atmosphere?
4. In terms of race, what type of attitude did Hooks discuss in Chapter 5?
5. According to Hooks in the continuation of Chapter 5, when is it important to consider the differences between classes?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what did Hooks say about the Vietnamese Buddhist monk, Thich Nhat Hanh?
2. In Chapter 5, what issue did Hook face again within academic atmospheres?
3. Was Hooks' first integrated friendship received with open arms?
4. What did Hooks say about self-actualization?
5. In terms of the types of job opportunities available for poor people, what was Hooks' view?
6. What did Hooks say about the general assessment of the theoretical works of women of color?
7. Why did Hooks feel like her theoretical works were harshly criticized?
8. What form of speech did Hooks use to describe Paulo Freire, one of her intellectual influences?
9. How did Hooks say it made her feel when she was not heard by her male colleagues?
10. According to Hooks, in what way did the concept of subject play a role?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Hook's view of white supremacy. Did she agree that this concept was a necessary part of society? If not, what did she agree with in its place? What examples did Hooks give of times in her life that she was exposed to this notion?
Essay Topic 2
Was the manner in which Hooks taught different when the majority of students were black as opposed to a majority of white? Explain how. How did she say her black students reacted to the white perspective of feminism?
Essay Topic 3
What was Hooks' experience with using liberating teaching methods in the classroom as opposed to traditional teaching methods? How did her students respond to the use of both methods?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)