Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hooks say about the work options for poorer people?
2. What did Hooks say about her interaction with white peers?
3. What did the theorist mentioned in Chapter 7 say at the end of the chapter?
4. Of feminist theories, Hooks said that they will be great in what?
5. Hooks said when creating and sustaining theories, what difference is important to consider?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was Hooks' first integrated friendship received with open arms?
2. What examples did Hooks give in Chapter 6 about the signs of success for a man?
3. What did Hooks say about where the majority of feminist writings come from?
4. What did Hooks say about language and its influence on the learning process?
5. In Chapter 8, what hierarchies did Hooks talk about dismantling? What will replace them?
6. In Chapter 1, what did Hooks say about the Vietnamese Buddhist monk, Thich Nhat Hanh?
7. In Chapter 6, what qualities did Hooks say a woman might possess to show that she is successful?
8. What did Hooks say about a woman's social status and its connection to her partner?
9. What was Hooks' profession at the time she wrote this book? When was the book published?
10. How did Hooks say "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" affected women who have been educated by the male system?
Compare and contrast Hooks' overall perception of black women and white women. What similarities does she mention between the two groups? What differences? What does Hooks say is the focus of white women who are involved in feminist theory? What about the black women involved in feminist theory? How do the black and white women interact when it comes to competing for the attention of black men?
As a child, what was Hooks' experience with the patriarchal system? Was it something she agreed or disagreed with? How did she approach the patriarchal system as an adult? How is "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" influenced by the patriarchal system?
How did Hooks feel about her work not being published by a university publishing company? What possible reason did she give for why it was not? What effect did this have on her?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)