|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first topic that Hooks talked about in Chapter 3?
2. According to Hooks, when is the profession of teaching best served?
3. What type of person did Hooks say would most likely recognize how significant her work is?
4. Which of the following is stated in Chapter 6 about a man who has a high-paying career?
5. According to Hooks, what is automatically excluded when the standard of good theoretical works is established?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Hooks feel like her theoretical works were harshly criticized?
2. In Chapter 5, what issue did Hook face again within academic atmospheres?
3. What was the overall theme of "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" up to Chapter 6?
4. What did Hooks say about self-actualization?
5. What did Hooks say is the other side to creating high standards of theoretical work that exclude certain groups?
6. What form of speech did Hooks use to describe Paulo Freire, one of her intellectual influences?
7. Hooks' first experience of racial integration was during her post-secondary school years. What was her perception of integration and education?
8. What were Hooks' views on nurturing independent thinking within the higher education environment?
9. What did Hooks say in Chapter 3 about individual instructors' ability to speak freely in meetings at Oberlin?
10. What did Hooks say about the political nature of education?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hooks mentioned several of her life experiences from childhood to adulthood. Do you think this was ONLY to give you background about her? If so, why do you feel that is significant? If not, do you think those experiences greatly influenced her to become a teacher or to write this book? If so, give specific examples mentioned in the book and correlate them to why she became a teacher or wrote the book?
Essay Topic 2
Was the manner in which Hooks taught different when the majority of students were black as opposed to a majority of white? Explain how. How did she say her black students reacted to the white perspective of feminism?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Hooks' experience with integration of schools. Was it positive or negative? What did she learn from the experience? How did this integration serve as a historical moment for Hooks later in life?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)