|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is stated in Chapter 6 about a man who has a high-paying career?
2. What was the first topic that Hooks talked about in Chapter 3?
3. In Chapter 1, whose work did Hooks mention?
4. Hooks said when creating and sustaining theories, what difference is important to consider?
5. How did Hooks say her work is often received by its readers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the overall theme of "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" up to Chapter 6?
2. Why did Hooks feel like her theoretical works were harshly criticized?
3. In what way did Hooks describe her feeling like an outsider within her own home?
4. What did Hooks say about the general assessment of the theoretical works of women of color?
5. What description of her past did Hooks give in Chapter 5 that enabled the reader to understand her view of the patriarchal system?
6. In Chapter 5, what issue did Hook face again within academic atmospheres?
7. How did Hooks describe dishonesty and how it can affect progress?
8. How did Hooks say it made her feel when she was not heard by her male colleagues?
9. What form of speech did Hooks use to describe Paulo Freire, one of her intellectual influences?
10. What were the two possible reasons mentioned in Chapter 4 that explain why "bell hooks" did not capitalize her pseudonym?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Hook's view of white supremacy. Did she agree that this concept was a necessary part of society? If not, what did she agree with in its place? What examples did Hooks give of times in her life that she was exposed to this notion?
Essay Topic 2
As a child, what was Hooks' experience with the patriarchal system? Was it something she agreed or disagreed with? How did she approach the patriarchal system as an adult? How is "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" influenced by the patriarchal system?
Essay Topic 3
What perspectives did Hooks experience with regard to sexuality and education? How did they influence the way she taught? How did these experiences ultimately resolve? What place did Hooks say sexuality should have in education?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)