|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hooks say is not necessarily found in all social classes?
2. What theorist did Hooks mention at the end of Chapter 7?
3. What need/expectation did Hooks say is common in poorer women?
4. According to Hooks, what should be a teacher's role with regard to students within a classroom and their interaction with other students in the classroom?
5. What did Hooks say is a token of progress among women?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Hooks say "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" affected women who have been educated by the male system?
2. What examples did Hooks give in Chapter 6 about the signs of success for a man?
3. What did Hooks say about the psyches of women?
4. What did Hooks say is the other side to creating high standards of theoretical work that exclude certain groups?
5. What did Hooks say about the effect of the feminist theory?
6. What was the overall theme of "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" up to Chapter 6?
7. Hooks' first experience of racial integration was during her post-secondary school years. What was her perception of integration and education?
8. What role did Hooks say student participation plays in the education process?
9. What description of her past did Hooks give in Chapter 5 that enabled the reader to understand her view of the patriarchal system?
10. In terms of the types of job opportunities available for poor people, what was Hooks' view?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Hooks, when is education at its best? What do teachers believe about their role before students are encouraged to participate in the learning process? What did Hooks believe about proper instructional methods and participation from students?
Essay Topic 2
What perspectives did Hooks experience with regard to sexuality and education? How did they influence the way she taught? How did these experiences ultimately resolve? What place did Hooks say sexuality should have in education?
Essay Topic 3
What two reasons were given for why Hooks used the pseudonym "bell hooks"? Why did she not use capital letters? Give specific examples of where these reasons were evident throughout the book.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)