|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of theorist is the Latina theorist mentioned in Chapter 5?
2. In Chapter 5, what was the relationship status of Hooks' parents?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 4, Hooks gave the audience her true name. What is it?
4. When Hooks mentioned having meetings, who was initially a part of the meeting?
5. What did Hooks believe blacks had to do in order to attend traditionally white schools?
Short Essay Questions
1. What accusation did Hooks say many black men face when in a relationship with a white woman?
2. According to Chapter 9, in what way was "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" a failure?
3. Who is the target audience for "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" and what does this mean?
4. What were Hooks' views on nurturing independent thinking within the higher education environment?
5. How did Hooks say one should deal with the sexual element of situations?
6. In Chapter 8, what hierarchies did Hooks talk about dismantling? What will replace them?
7. What group did Hooks thank as being the first audience who gave her the opportunity to discuss the main topic of Chapter 15 candidly?
8. Hooks used Chapter 9 to do what with many of the ideas she previously discussed? How did the readers feel about these ideas?
9. What was Hooks' profession at the time she wrote this book? When was the book published?
10. What did Hooks say about language and its influence on the learning process?
Essay Topic 1
What perspectives did Hooks experience with regard to sexuality and education? How did they influence the way she taught? How did these experiences ultimately resolve? What place did Hooks say sexuality should have in education?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Chela Sandoval? What role did she play in Hooks' life in terms of teaching and education as a whole? What did Hooks think of Sandoval's work? What did Hooks say the public thinks of Sandoval's work?
Essay Topic 3
Describe what Hooks said about women who had been exposed to higher education and how they will view her work. From what perspective did they interpret her work?
This section contains 1,561 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)