|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of feminist theories, Hooks said that they will be great in what?
2. What did Hooks say is necessary in order to achieve higher quality results when analyzing theoretical works?
3. How did Hooks say her work is often received by its readers?
4. According to Hooks, what is the great road of progress for poor men and women with regard to employment?
5. Which of the following is stated in Chapter 6 about a man who has a high-paying career?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way did Hooks describe her feeling like an outsider within her own home?
2. What role did Hooks say student participation plays in the education process?
3. In terms of the types of job opportunities available for poor people, what was Hooks' view?
4. What examples did Hooks give in Chapter 6 about the signs of success for a man?
5. How did Hooks describe dishonesty and how it can affect progress?
6. What were the two possible reasons mentioned in Chapter 4 that explain why "bell hooks" did not capitalize her pseudonym?
7. What did Hooks say about the effect of the feminist theory?
8. Hooks' first experience of racial integration was during her post-secondary school years. What was her perception of integration and education?
9. According to Hooks, in what way did the concept of subject play a role?
10. In Chapter 5, what issue did Hook face again within academic atmospheres?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What social class did Hooks grow up in? Did this affect her social class as an adult? Are there other aspects of her life affected by her class as a child? How did Hooks relate one's class to how they learn?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Hooks' overall perception of black women and white women. What similarities does she mention between the two groups? What differences? What does Hooks say is the focus of white women who are involved in feminist theory? What about the black women involved in feminist theory? How do the black and white women interact when it comes to competing for the attention of black men?
Essay Topic 3
Describe what Hooks said about women who had been exposed to higher education and how they will view her work. From what perspective did they interpret her work?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)