|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hooks said teachers do best when they are what type of people?
2. What did Hooks say about a wealthy woman who works by choice?
3. Which school year reunion did Hooks mention in Chapter 2?
4. What is an example that Hooks gave of something of male effort that women benefit from in everyday life?
5. According to Hooks, what should be a teacher's role with regard to students within a classroom and their interaction with other students in the classroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hooks say about the relationship between black and white women and white women and black men?
2. What form of speech did Hooks use to describe Paulo Freire, one of her intellectual influences?
3. Hooks used Chapter 9 to do what with many of the ideas she previously discussed? How did the readers feel about these ideas?
4. What did Hooks say is the other side to creating high standards of theoretical work that exclude certain groups?
5. What did Hooks say about poor people and the need to earn money as adults?
6. In terms of the types of job opportunities available for poor people, what was Hooks' view?
7. What did Hooks say about the method she used to teach her students when the majority of them were black?
8. According to Hooks, what affected how she subjectively related to teaching?
9. What accusation did Hooks say many black men face when in a relationship with a white woman?
10. How did Hooks say "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" affected women who have been educated by the male system?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Hooks' relationship with Ron Scapp. Did they relate to each other romantically? How did they affect each other as teachers? How did race and gender play as factors in their relationship? How did people in the outside world receive them? Were their social class upbringings similar or different? How?
Essay Topic 2
How did Hooks feel about the way her theoretical works are assessed? Are they assessed fairly or unfairly? How did she feel about the way other minorities' works are evaluated? Who set the standard for how theoretical works are judged? Did she think there should be a change to how the standard is set?
Essay Topic 3
Describe what Hooks said about women who had been exposed to higher education and how they will view her work. From what perspective did they interpret her work?
This section contains 1,769 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)