Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hooks say about the work options for poorer people?
2. What did Hooks say about her interaction with white peers?
3. What did the theorist mentioned in Chapter 7 say at the end of the chapter?
4. Of feminist theories, Hooks said that they will be great in what?
5. Hooks said when creating and sustaining theories, what difference is important to consider?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was Hooks' first integrated friendship received with open arms?
2. What examples did Hooks give in Chapter 6 about the signs of success for a man?
3. What did Hooks say about where the majority of feminist writings come from?
4. What did Hooks say about language and its influence on the learning process?
5. In Chapter 8, what hierarchies did Hooks talk about dismantling? What will replace them?
6. In Chapter 1, what did Hooks say about the Vietnamese Buddhist monk, Thich Nhat Hanh?
7. In Chapter 6, what qualities did Hooks say a woman might possess to show that she is successful?
8. What did Hooks say about a woman's social status and its connection to her partner?
9. What was Hooks' profession at the time she wrote this book? When was the book published?
10. How did Hooks say "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" affected women who have been educated by the male system?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Hooks' overall perception of black women and white women. What similarities does she mention between the two groups? What differences? What does Hooks say is the focus of white women who are involved in feminist theory? What about the black women involved in feminist theory? How do the black and white women interact when it comes to competing for the attention of black men?
Essay Topic 2
What two reasons were given for why Hooks used the pseudonym "bell hooks"? Why did she not use capital letters? Give specific examples of where these reasons were evident throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
Was the manner in which Hooks taught different when the majority of students were black as opposed to a majority of white? Explain how. How did she say her black students reacted to the white perspective of feminism?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)