|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Hooks write the essay in Chapter 4?
2. In Chapter 3, Hooks said education is always which of the following?
3. Hooks said which of the following is most important for an effective educational process?
4. What type of thinking did Hooks say is crucial to the educational process?
5. How did Hooks say her work is often received by its readers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hooks say in Chapter 12 about the present state of feminist theory?
2. What did Hooks say about girls and the oppressive conditions they face?
3. What new experience did Hooks say many American blacks are currently facing?
4. What did Hooks say about a woman's social status and its connection to her partner?
5. What was the main issue addressed in Chapter 13? What was the first thing mentioned about this issue?
6. What did Hooks say about self-actualization?
7. What accusation did Hooks say many black men face when in a relationship with a white woman?
8. What group did Hooks thank as being the first audience who gave her the opportunity to discuss the main topic of Chapter 15 candidly?
9. How did Hooks address the issue of dominance in Chapter 8?
10. Hooks said that teachers sometimes felt that their creativity was being suppressed. In what way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Hooks' experience with integration of schools. Was it positive or negative? What did she learn from the experience? How did this integration serve as a historical moment for Hooks later in life?
Essay Topic 2
What did Hooks say about a poor woman's need for making money as an adult? What did these women consider a good job? Generally, what did their job prospects look like?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Hooks' relationship with Ron Scapp. Did they relate to each other romantically? How did they affect each other as teachers? How did race and gender play as factors in their relationship? How did people in the outside world receive them? Were their social class upbringings similar or different? How?
This section contains 1,574 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)