|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the profession of Hooks' friend?
2. What did Chapter 14 say about the role the students say the teacher has in the learning process?
(a) Teachers encourage the opinions of the students only when they agree with his or hers. When their opinions do not agree with the teacher's, he or she discourages it.
(b) Teachers prevent their (the students') voices from being heard.
(c) Teachers encourage the opinions of the students.
(d) Teachers do not encourage or discourage the students from being heard.
3. What did Hooks say is the most important thing for students and teachers to help implement improved strategies?
4. When Hooks teaches feminist theory classes that include a majority of white women, what interest does she find that many of the women have in feminist theory?
(a) How it could improve life for black women.
(b) How it could improve life for non-bisexual and non-homosexual white women.
(c) How it could worsen life for men who believe in the patriarchal system.
(d) How it could improve life for bisexual or homosexual women.
5. What did Hooks say would be the experience for American blacks?
(a) How it feels to not be considered a minority or majority race.
(b) How it feels when your minority is the main one.
(c) How it feels when you transform from a minority to the majority race.
(d) How it feels when your minority is not the main one.
Short Answer Questions
1. In terms of feminist scholarship, what did Hooks say she was thankful for?
2. What did Hooks say should replace the hierarchies that are dismantled?
3. In what two contexts did Hooks talk about white men and black women?
4. What racial tension did Hooks mention in Chapter 12 that she mentioned in previous chapters?
5. Hooks began Chapter 10 by setting up the tension between what two groups?
Short Essay Questions
1. What accusation did Hooks say many black men face when in a relationship with a white woman?
2. What did Hooks say about the method she used to teach her students when the majority of them were black?
3. Chapter 14 gave a preview to the main topic addressed in Chapter 15. What was the issue? What was the first observation that Hooks made?
4. What does Hooks say about her students and liberating practices?
5. What did Hooks say about a woman's social status and its connection to her partner?
6. What did Hooks say about girls and the oppressive conditions they face?
7. What new experience did Hooks say many American blacks are currently facing?
8. What special characteristics are mentioned about Chapter 12?
9. How did Hooks describe the patriarchal system she grew up in?
10. How did Hooks address the issue of dominance in Chapter 8?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)