|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one problem Hooks addressed with regard to the works of blacks and women?
(a) When they are included and have attendant changes in pedagogy.
(b) When they are not included and have attendant changes in pedagogy.
(c) When they are included but without any attendant changes in pedagogy.
(d) When they are not included and therefore have no attendant changes in pedagogy.
2. What was the major problem Hooks faced within the patriarchal framework?
(b) Age discrimination.
(d) Class distinction.
3. What is a difference between the upbringing of Hooks and her friend?
(a) There is no difference. They both have a rural upbringing.
(b) She has a suburban upbringing while he has an urban upbringing.
(c) She has a rural upbringing while he has an urban upbringing.
(d) She has an urban upbringing while he has a rural upbringing.
4. What did Hooks think is necessary to dismantle?
(a) Religion and patriarchy.
(b) Integration and matriarchy.
(c) Politics and matriarchy.
(d) White supremacy and patriarchy.
5. In Chapter 12, Hooks wrote about the patriarchal structure within what context?
(a) Black and white.
(c) All white.
(d) All black.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hooks say about black authors and feminist authors?
2. According to Hooks, when is the system of oppression appropriate?
3. What did Hooks say blurred the demarcation of what indicated a wealthy person versus a poor person?
4. What type of experiences did Hooks write about in Chapter 8?
5. In Chapter 12, what did Hooks say about the experience of white women?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the target audience for "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" and what does this mean?
2. According to Chapter 9, in what way was "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" a failure?
3. What did Hooks say about the relationship between black and white women and white women and black men?
4. According to Hooks, what affected how she subjectively related to teaching?
5. How did Hooks address the issue of dominance in Chapter 8?
6. In Chapter 8, what hierarchies did Hooks talk about dismantling? What will replace them?
7. What did Hooks say about the method she used to teach her students when the majority of them were black?
8. What was Hooks' profession at the time she wrote this book? When was the book published?
9. What group did Hooks thank as being the first audience who gave her the opportunity to discuss the main topic of Chapter 15 candidly?
10. What did Hooks observe about the relationship between black women and white men? In what contexts did she speak of this relationship?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)