|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Chapter 10, many believed sexual relationships across racial boundaries are which of the following?
(c) Legal but not welcomed.
(d) A welcomed change.
2. How did Hooks view the instructional methods used by teachers?
(a) They vary according to the region of the country in which one lives.
(b) There are not many to choose from.
(c) There are many to choose from.
(d) They vary according to the gender of the teacher.
3. What did Hooks say about the presence of a teacher in a classroom?
(a) It is appreciated but not necessary.
(b) It is not necessary.
(c) It is unappreciated.
(d) It is necessary.
4. What did Hooks learn specifically about young, black men in terms of how they feel about social issues (i.e. sexism, racism)?
(a) Young, black men feel like they are already greatly hurt by racism so there was nothing left to bother them.
(b) Young, black men feel like the issue of sexism experienced by their female counterparts is more of a problem within society than the racism they face.
(c) Young, black men believe sexism and racism are equally oppressive.
(d) Young, black men feel like they are highly favored in society and therefore have no concern with social issues.
5. For whom did Hooks say the purpose of higher education is to secure job training?
Short Answer Questions
1. The friend of whom Hooks speaks in Chapter 13, is of what race?
2. What did Hooks say is now the reputation of feminist theory?
3. What did Hooks say women needed to move forward with?
4. In Chapter 12, what did Hooks say about the experience of white women?
5. What effect does Hooks hope "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" will have on society?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hooks say about girls and the oppressive conditions they face?
2. What group did Hooks thank as being the first audience who gave her the opportunity to discuss the main topic of Chapter 15 candidly?
3. Who was Ron Scapp? What role did he play in Hooks' life?
4. According to Hooks, what affected how she subjectively related to teaching?
5. Hooks said that teachers sometimes felt that their creativity was being suppressed. In what way?
6. How did Hooks describe the patriarchal system she grew up in?
7. How did Hooks address the issue of dominance in Chapter 8?
8. What racial topic did Hooks mention in Chapter 12 that was mentioned in previous chapters?
9. What did Hooks say about the method she used to teach her students when the majority of them were black?
10. What accusation did Hooks say many black men face when in a relationship with a white woman?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)