|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hooks say would be the experience for American blacks?
(a) How it feels when your minority is not the main one.
(b) How it feels when you transform from a minority to the majority race.
(c) How it feels when your minority is the main one.
(d) How it feels to not be considered a minority or majority race.
2. Hooks said that many white women are racist in what ways?
(a) Complicity or actively and intentionally.
(b) Complexity or inactively and unintentionally.
(c) Complexity or actively and intentionally.
(d) Complicity or inactively and unintentionally.
3. How did Hooks view the instructional methods used by teachers?
(a) There are not many to choose from.
(b) They vary according to the gender of the teacher.
(c) They vary according to the region of the country in which one lives.
(d) There are many to choose from.
4. What did Hooks say blurred the demarcation of what indicated a wealthy person versus a poor person?
(c) Savings Bonds.
5. According to Hooks, when did racial distinctions become more pronounced?
(a) When the religious difference has been established and racially integrated.
(b) When the gender difference has been established and sexually integrated.
(c) When the age difference has been established and racially integrated.
(d) When the gender difference has been established and racially integrated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a difference between the upbringing of Hooks and her friend?
2. In what year was "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" published?
3. What effect does Hooks hope "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" will have on society?
4. Which of the following is one type of course that Hooks has taught?
5. In what two contexts did Hooks talk about white men and black women?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Hooks address the issue of dominance in Chapter 8?
2. How did Hooks describe the patriarchal system she grew up in?
3. What did Hooks say in Chapter 12 about the present state of feminist theory?
4. What racial topic did Hooks mention in Chapter 12 that was mentioned in previous chapters?
5. What new experience did Hooks say many American blacks are currently facing?
6. What did Hooks say about black authors and feminists being one in the same?
7. Chapter 14 gave a preview to the main topic addressed in Chapter 15. What was the issue? What was the first observation that Hooks made?
8. In Chapter 8, what hierarchies did Hooks talk about dismantling? What will replace them?
9. What did Hooks notice about classes that consisted mainly of white women concerning their interest in feminist theory?
10. Who was Ron Scapp? What role did he play in Hooks' life?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)