|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hooks said who must be happy in order for education to be most effective?
(a) Teacher ONLY.
(b) Teacher and students.
(c) Students ONLY.
(d) Administration, teachers, and students.
2. In Chapter 1, what did Hooks say with regard to all-black schools and the education process?
(a) They strictly encourage the growth of the education process.
(b) They strictly undercut the growth of the education process.
(c) The education process used is different from the process used in integrated schools.
(d) They are equally prone to undercut and to encourage the growth of the education process.
3. What did the theorist mentioned in Chapter 7 say at the end of the chapter?
(a) Men are the ones who need to develop female social theories and practices.
(b) Women are the ones who need to develop male social theories and practices.
(c) Women are the ones who need to develop female psychological theories and practices.
(d) Men are the ones who need to develop male psychological theories and practices.
4. How did Hooks write the essay in Chapter 4?
(a) In the form of a dialogue, of which she plays both parts.
(b) From a first person point-of-view.
(c) From a third person point-of-view.
(d) In the form of a dialogue, of which she plays one part.
5. Which of the following is stated in Chapter 6 about a man who has a high-paying career?
(a) The man becomes more attractive to women.
(b) It is the norm. All men have high-paying careers.
(c) It represents success.
(d) The man becomes more important to society.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, whose work did Hooks mention?
2. What did Hooks say about the psyche of women?
3. Which of the following is a factor that Hooks said affected her career path?
4. How did Hooks say her work is often received by its readers?
5. In Hooks' experience, what type of classes promotes a very high degree of the freedom of student involvement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What description of her past did Hooks give in Chapter 5 that enabled the reader to understand her view of the patriarchal system?
2. What was the overall theme of "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" up to Chapter 6?
3. In Chapter 5, what issue did Hook face again within academic atmospheres?
4. What did Hooks say about self-actualization?
5. What did Hooks say is the other side to creating high standards of theoretical work that exclude certain groups?
6. According to Hooks, in what way did the concept of subject play a role?
7. What did Hooks say about the psyches of women?
8. What did Hooks say about the effect of the feminist theory?
9. What form of speech did Hooks use to describe Paulo Freire, one of her intellectual influences?
10. Was Hooks' first integrated friendship received with open arms?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)