|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Hooks compare the characteristics of middle and upper class women to men of the same class?
(a) They have similarities but are not exactly the same.
(b) They are different but equal.
(c) They are NOT the same.
(d) They are exactly the same.
2. What did Hooks say about the work options for poorer people?
(a) They are plentiful.
(b) They are jobs that will never allow for promotion.
(c) They are jobs that the poor would enjoy.
(d) They are somewhat restricted.
3. According to Hooks, "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" consists of a great amount of analysis that are natural and _____ for women.
4. In the continuation of Chapter 5, what did Hooks think about the interracial atmosphere?
(a) It affords many difficulties.
(b) It is beneficial to whites but not blacks.
(c) It affords many opportunities.
(d) It affords many opportunities as well as difficulties.
5. What is different about the way Hooks prints her pseudonym on the cover of the book than you would find on most books?
(a) It consists of no capital letters.
(b) It takes up the entire cover.
(c) It is written in all capital letters.
(d) It is circled.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the continuation of Chapter 5, what did Hooks say about the method of achieving higher results when analyzing theoretical works?
2. What did Hooks say is a token of progress among women?
3. What is the technical term for teaching?
4. What personal experience did Hooks talk about in Chapter 2?
5. At the end of Chapter 3, what school did Hooks mention?
Short Essay Questions
1. What description of her past did Hooks give in Chapter 5 that enabled the reader to understand her view of the patriarchal system?
2. What did Hooks say about where the majority of feminist writings come from?
3. What did Hooks say about poor people and the need to earn money as adults?
4. How did Hooks say "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" affected women who have been educated by the male system?
5. What did Hooks say about self-actualization?
6. In terms of the types of job opportunities available for poor people, what was Hooks' view?
7. What did Hooks say about the effect of the feminist theory?
8. According to Hooks, in what way did the concept of subject play a role?
9. What role did Hooks say student participation plays in the education process?
10. What form of speech did Hooks use to describe Paulo Freire, one of her intellectual influences?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)