|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hooks say about the works that were published by the Latina theorist mentioned?
(a) They did not affect the lives of anyone.
(b) They were originally written in Mandarin.
(c) They did not receive the honor they were due.
(d) They did receive the honor they were due.
2. What is different about the way Hooks prints her pseudonym on the cover of the book than you would find on most books?
(a) It takes up the entire cover.
(b) It consists of no capital letters.
(c) It is written in all capital letters.
(d) It is circled.
3. According to Hooks, when is the profession of teaching best served?
(a) When the parents of the students compliment the teacher's progress.
(b) When a teacher does so with the idea that he/she is nurturing free adults.
(c) When a teacher receives an award or promotion for a job well done.
(d) When all students understand what is being taught.
4. According to Hooks, what group of people were the masterminds behind the control system?
(a) Asian men.
(b) Hispanic men.
(c) White men.
(d) All men.
5. Which of the following is a factor that Hooks said affected her career path?
(a) Religious beliefs.
(d) Educational background.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Hooks, what is the great road of progress for poor men and women with regard to employment?
2. Chapter 6 mentioned what type of divisions between minority groups?
3. How did Hooks write the essay in Chapter 4?
4. Whom did Hooks say writes the majority of feminist works?
5. In the continuation of Chapter 5, what did Hooks think about the interracial atmosphere?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hooks say in Chapter 3 about individual instructors' ability to speak freely in meetings at Oberlin?
2. Who is the target audience for "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" and what does this mean?
3. What did Hooks say about the relationship between black and white women and white women and black men?
4. What did Hooks say about the method she used to teach her students when the majority of them were black?
5. Hooks' first experience of racial integration was during her post-secondary school years. What was her perception of integration and education?
6. What new experience did Hooks say many American blacks are currently facing?
7. What were the two possible reasons mentioned in Chapter 4 that explain why "bell hooks" did not capitalize her pseudonym?
8. What does Hooks say about her students and liberating practices?
9. In what way did Hooks describe her feeling like an outsider within her own home?
10. How did Hooks address the issue of dominance in Chapter 8?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)