|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom did Hooks say writes the majority of feminist works?
(a) Poor black women.
(b) Poor white women.
(c) Privileged white women.
(d) Privileged black women.
2. In Hooks' experience, what type of classes promotes a very high degree of the freedom of student involvement?
(c) Women's Studies.
(d) Interior Design.
3. Which of the following is a factor that Hooks said affected her career path?
(b) Educational background.
(d) Religious beliefs.
4. What Latina theorist did Hooks introduce in Chapter 5?
(a) Chela Sandoval.
(b) Cha Cha Ramirez.
(c) Chita Rivera..
(d) Karen Rodriguez.
5. Chapter 4 is an essay that mainly talked about how the works of Hooks' intellectual influence has been what?
Short Answer Questions
1. The bulk of Hooks' "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" cites which of the following?
2. Who was one of Hooks' intellectual influences?
3. How did Hooks compare the characteristics of middle and upper class women to men of the same class?
4. Chapter 6 said that Hooks' works include the framework that consists of analysis that is what?
5. What type of thinking did Hooks say is crucial to the educational process?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was Hooks' first integrated friendship received with open arms?
2. How did Hooks describe the patriarchal system she grew up in?
3. Who was Ron Scapp? What role did he play in Hooks' life?
4. What examples did Hooks give in Chapter 6 about the signs of success for a man?
5. What were the two possible reasons mentioned in Chapter 4 that explain why "bell hooks" did not capitalize her pseudonym?
6. What special characteristics are mentioned about Chapter 12?
7. What did Hooks say is the other side to creating high standards of theoretical work that exclude certain groups?
8. What was Hooks' profession at the time she wrote this book? When was the book published?
9. How did Hooks address the issue of dominance in Chapter 8?
10. What did Hooks say about her making space for others to speak about class, race and gender issues?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)