|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hooks said who must be happy in order for education to be most effective?
(a) Teacher and students.
(b) Students ONLY.
(c) Administration, teachers, and students.
(d) Teacher ONLY.
2. Whose theoretical work did Hooks say may not properly be assessed?
(a) That of white men.
(b) That of "colored men."
(c) That of "colored women."
(d) That of white women.
3. How did Hooks say her work is often received by its readers?
(a) It is criticized.
(b) It is well liked.
(c) It is ignored.
(d) It is incorporated into the text of many classes.
4. According to Hooks, "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" consists of a great amount of analysis that are natural and _____ for women.
5. What main concepts were used in Chapter 4?
(a) Subject and object as roles and perspectives.
(b) Social and economic status.
(c) Race and religion.
(d) Age and gender.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, whose work did Hooks mention?
2. In Chapter 1, what did Hooks say with regard to all-black schools and the education process?
3. Which school year reunion did Hooks mention in Chapter 2?
4. What was the first topic that Hooks talked about in Chapter 3?
5. In the continuation of Chapter 5, what did Hooks think about the interracial atmosphere?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hooks say about the general assessment of the theoretical works of women of color?
2. What role did Hooks say student participation plays in the education process?
3. What examples did Hooks give in Chapter 6 about the signs of success for a man?
4. What description of her past did Hooks give in Chapter 5 that enabled the reader to understand her view of the patriarchal system?
5. What did Hooks say about where the majority of feminist writings come from?
6. What form of speech did Hooks use to describe Paulo Freire, one of her intellectual influences?
7. What did Hooks say about self-actualization?
8. What did Hooks say about the political nature of education?
9. How did Hooks say "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" affected women who have been educated by the male system?
10. What did Hooks say in Chapter 3 about individual instructors' ability to speak freely in meetings at Oberlin?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)