|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What need/expectation did Hooks say is common in poorer women?
(a) To earn money.
(b) To have children.
(c) To obtain a post-secondary school degree.
(d) To get married.
2. What did Hooks say is a token of progress among women?
(a) Women giving birth to multiple babies.
(b) The works women do in order to uplift the entire female gender.
(c) The fact that women work in male-dominated fields.
(d) Women's desire to fill roles traditionally held by women.
3. How did Hooks say her work is often received by its readers?
(a) It is incorporated into the text of many classes.
(b) It is well liked.
(c) It is criticized.
(d) It is ignored.
4. Who was one of Hooks' intellectual influences?
(a) Sigmund Freud.
(c) Maya Angelou.
(d) Paulo Freire.
5. What did Hooks say is not necessarily found in all social classes?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Hooks mentioned having meetings, who was initially a part of the meeting?
2. What did Hooks feel like she was always punished for?
3. According to Hooks, what group of people were the masterminds behind the control system?
4. At the end of Chapter 3, what school did Hooks mention?
5. What did Hooks say about her interaction with white peers?
Short Essay Questions
1. In terms of the types of job opportunities available for poor people, what was Hooks' view?
2. What did Hooks say in Chapter 3 about individual instructors' ability to speak freely in meetings at Oberlin?
3. What did Hooks say is the other side to creating high standards of theoretical work that exclude certain groups?
4. In Chapter 6, what qualities did Hooks say a woman might possess to show that she is successful?
5. In what way did Hooks describe her feeling like an outsider within her own home?
6. What were Hooks' views on nurturing independent thinking within the higher education environment?
7. What did Hooks say about the psyches of women?
8. What did Hooks say about the political nature of education?
9. How did Hooks say it made her feel when she was not heard by her male colleagues?
10. What did Hooks say about poor people and the need to earn money as adults?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)