|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an example that Hooks gave of something of male effort that women benefit from in everyday life?
(a) Sewage systems.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 4, Hooks gave the audience her true name. What is it?
(a) Gloria Watkins.
(b) Amy Wright.
(c) Elizabeth Brown.
(d) Sally Williams.
3. What did Hooks say about the work options for poorer people?
(a) They are plentiful.
(b) They are jobs that will never allow for promotion.
(c) They are somewhat restricted.
(d) They are jobs that the poor would enjoy.
4. What theorist did Hooks mention at the end of Chapter 7?
5. Hooks said who must be happy in order for education to be most effective?
(a) Administration, teachers, and students.
(b) Students ONLY.
(c) Teacher and students.
(d) Teacher ONLY.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the theorist mentioned in Chapter 7 say about himself?
2. In Chapter 5, what was the relationship status of Hooks' parents?
3. How did Hooks feel within her family?
4. What did Hooks say she wants her readers to understand about the continuation of Chapter 5 with regard to analyzing theoretical works?
5. What did the theorist mentioned in Chapter 7 say at the end of the chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hooks say in Chapter 3 about individual instructors' ability to speak freely in meetings at Oberlin?
2. Why did Hooks feel like her theoretical works were harshly criticized?
3. How did Hooks say "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" affected women who have been educated by the male system?
4. What description of her past did Hooks give in Chapter 5 that enabled the reader to understand her view of the patriarchal system?
5. What did Hooks say about the general assessment of the theoretical works of women of color?
6. According to Hooks, in what way did the concept of subject play a role?
7. Was Hooks' first integrated friendship received with open arms?
8. In Chapter 1, what did Hooks say about the Vietnamese Buddhist monk, Thich Nhat Hanh?
9. What were Hooks' views on nurturing independent thinking within the higher education environment?
10. In Chapter 6, what qualities did Hooks say a woman might possess to show that she is successful?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)