|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What company published "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom"?
(a) Random House.
(c) Penguin Group.
2. What did Hooks say about the gender gap between black men and white women?
(a) It is sometimes improved by sexual attraction and interest.
(b) Due to the major differences of the groups, they have immense hate and disdain for each other.
(c) There is no gender gap between the two groups.
(d) The gap is too great for the two groups ever to consider having dealings with each other.
3. How did Hooks say her students feel about the input they have to offer?
(a) It's not valuable.
(b) It may be valuable but they are not sure.
(c) It has its place but not in the academic environment.
(d) It's valuable.
4. What did Hooks say about the set of actions of behaviors that teachers can exhibit?
(a) They are plentiful.
(b) They are standard across the board.
(c) They vary from time to time.
(d) They are limited.
5. What type of market did "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" appeal to?
(a) Students within universities.
(b) Faculty within universities.
(c) Students and faculty of secondary schools.
(d) Those outside of universities.
6. What did Hooks learn specifically about young, black men in terms of how they feel about social issues (i.e. sexism, racism)?
(a) Young, black men feel like they are highly favored in society and therefore have no concern with social issues.
(b) Young, black men feel like they are already greatly hurt by racism so there was nothing left to bother them.
(c) Young, black men feel like the issue of sexism experienced by their female counterparts is more of a problem within society than the racism they face.
(d) Young, black men believe sexism and racism are equally oppressive.
7. What was the profession of Hooks' friend?
8. In what year was "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" published?
9. What racial tension did Hooks mention in Chapter 12 that she mentioned in previous chapters?
(a) Tension between white men and black women.
(b) Tension between black men and white women.
(c) Tension between black and white women.
(d) Tension between black and white men.
10. What did Hooks say should replace the hierarchies that are dismantled?
(a) She says feminism should replace the hierarchies.
(b) She says love should replace the hierarchies.
(c) She does not mention what should replace the hierarchies.
(d) She says tolerance should replace the hierarchies.
11. According to Hooks, when did racial distinctions become more pronounced?
(a) When the age difference has been established and racially integrated.
(b) When the religious difference has been established and racially integrated.
(c) When the gender difference has been established and sexually integrated.
(d) When the gender difference has been established and racially integrated.
12. How did Hooks say black and white women are treated?
(a) They are treated as if they are in mutual sexual competition with each other.
(b) They are treated no differently than black and white men.
(c) They are treated as if they are an important part of society.
(d) They are treated as if they are second-class citizens.
13. Which of the following is one type of course that Hooks has taught?
(d) Black literature.
14. What did Hooks say is considered by some to be a form of liberation for poor, working women?
(a) Earning money.
(b) Highly educated.
(c) Not earning money.
(d) No education.
15. What did Hooks say is now the reputation of feminist theory?
(a) It is degraded.
(b) It is understood but not taken seriously.
(c) It is respected.
(d) It is ignored by men.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hooks say affects how she subjectively relates to teaching?
2. In Chapter 12, Hooks reminded her readers of what being used in her childhood home?
3. According to Chapter 9, something about this book is symptomatic of what two things?
4. What is a difference between the upbringing of Hooks and her friend?
5. Chapter 14 said that Chapter 15 is devoted to what type of issues?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)