|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hooks discuss in Chapter 13?
(b) African American Studies.
2. What did Hooks say about the set of actions of behaviors that teachers can exhibit?
(a) They are limited.
(b) They are standard across the board.
(c) They are plentiful.
(d) They vary from time to time.
3. In Chapter 12, what did Hooks say about the experience of white women?
(a) It was completely different from the experience of non-white women.
(b) Hooks does not mention the experience of white women in Chapter 12.
(c) It was a good mix of having similarities with non-white women and being very different from non-white women.
(d) It was the same as the experience of non-white women.
4. What did Hooks say is now the reputation of feminist theory?
(a) It is ignored by men.
(b) It is understood but not taken seriously.
(c) It is degraded.
(d) It is respected.
5. According to Chapter 9, what is much of "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" about?
(a) The establishment of the Feminist movement.
(b) Ways to defy the ruling political party.
(c) How to find and marry the person one loves.
(d) Obvious and subtle reasons why her work hasn't been published by a certain press.
6. According to Chapter 10, many believed sexual relationships across racial boundaries are which of the following?
(a) A welcomed change.
(d) Legal but not welcomed.
7. Hooks said a woman's attachment to a given man could do what?
(a) Improve her social class.
(b) Not affect her social status.
(c) Increase her self-esteem.
(d) Diminish her social status.
8. What did Hooks say the American population is going to be a reconfiguration of?
(a) Separate but equal races.
(b) Melting pot of minorities.
(c) One race.
(d) Total segregation of all races.
9. In Chapter 12, Hooks reminded her readers of what being used in her childhood home?
(b) Feminist theory.
(c) Nothing but love.
10. Hooks said what of each region of the United States?
(a) They have their own demographics and types of religion.
(b) They have their own demographics and types of people.
(c) They have their own ideas and language.
(d) They have their own language and types of people.
11. What did many of Hooks' students of color think about feminism?
(a) They were not suspicious of it and didn't think it was relevant to their lives.
(b) They were suspicious of it and didn't think it was that relevant to their lives.
(c) They were suspicious of it but thought it was highly relevant to their lives.
(d) They were not suspicious of it and thought it was relevant to their lives.
12. Whom did Hooks thank as the first forum that allowed her talk about the main issue discussed in Chapter 15?
(a) A religious environment.
(b) Feminist environment.
(c) Medical environment.
(d) Environment of higher education.
13. What effect does Hooks hope "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" will have on society?
(a) She hopes it will create an unbiased perspective on the white American female situation.
(b) She hopes it will create an unbiased perspective on the black American female situation.
(c) She hopes it will not create a biased perspective on the white American female situation.
(d) She hopes it will not create a biased perspective on the black American female situation.
14. For whom did Hooks say the purpose of higher education is to secure job training?
15. In the context of class, what did Hooks say could happen to the status of the black partner within an interracial (black/white) relationship?
(a) It could improve.
(b) It could worsen.
(c) It could stay the same.
(d) It could stay the same for the first year, then improve afterwards.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what two contexts did Hooks talk about white men and black women?
2. In terms of feminist scholarship, what did Hooks say she was thankful for?
3. What did Hooks think is necessary to dismantle?
4. What did Hooks say is the most important thing for students and teachers to help implement improved strategies?
5. What is a difference between the upbringing of Hooks and her friend?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)