|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 12, what did Hooks say about the experience of white women?
(a) Hooks does not mention the experience of white women in Chapter 12.
(b) It was completely different from the experience of non-white women.
(c) It was the same as the experience of non-white women.
(d) It was a good mix of having similarities with non-white women and being very different from non-white women.
2. During the experiences mentioned in Chapter 8, silence of what issues ended for Hooks?
(a) Matters of race, class, and gender.
(b) Matters of insecurities, age, and class.
(c) Matters of race, class, and religion.
(d) Matters of discrimination, politics, and age.
3. What did Hooks say about the presence of a teacher in a classroom?
(a) It is not necessary.
(b) It is appreciated but not necessary.
(c) It is unappreciated.
(d) It is necessary.
4. How did Hooks say black and white women are treated?
(a) They are treated as if they are in mutual sexual competition with each other.
(b) They are treated no differently than black and white men.
(c) They are treated as if they are second-class citizens.
(d) They are treated as if they are an important part of society.
5. According to Hooks, the absence of _____ freed her mind.
(a) Her compassion for others.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her students.
(d) The thought of what she would be like as a professor.
6. What did Hooks say about most white people during the period of slavery?
(a) They owned many slaves.
(b) They were racist.
(c) They were too poor to own slaves.
(d) They wanted to implement integration.
7. In Chapter 9, what group did Hooks say is the dominant minority group in some parts of the United States?
8. What company published "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom"?
(a) Penguin Group.
(d) Random House.
9. What is a difference between the upbringing of Hooks and her friend?
(a) She has a suburban upbringing while he has an urban upbringing.
(b) She has an urban upbringing while he has a rural upbringing.
(c) She has a rural upbringing while he has an urban upbringing.
(d) There is no difference. They both have a rural upbringing.
10. In Chapter 8, Hooks spoke of the importance of doing what to people?
(d) Physically fighting against.
11. Hooks said that many white women are racist in what ways?
(a) Complicity or inactively and unintentionally.
(b) Complexity or actively and intentionally.
(c) Complexity or inactively and unintentionally.
(d) Complicity or actively and intentionally.
12. For whom did Hooks say the purpose of higher education is to secure job training?
13. In Chapter 12, Hooks wrote about the patriarchal structure within what context?
(a) All black.
(b) All white.
(c) Black and white.
14. According to Hooks, when is the system of oppression appropriate?
(a) When it is backed by the government.
(b) When it is done in a friendly manner.
(c) The system of oppression is never appropriate.
(d) When doing away with it would cause more harm than good.
15. What is the topic of the great leap forward that Hooks received from one of her male students?
(a) Promotion of the practice of sexism
(b) Opposition to the practice of racism.
(c) Promotion of the practice of interracial dating.
(d) Opposition to the practice of rape.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the great leap forward that Hooks received from one of her male students?
2. What did Chapter 14 say about the role the students say the teacher has in the learning process?
3. Who was the main target audience of this book?
4. What did Hooks say about women concerning many of the ideas she addressed in the book?
5. What was the profession of Hooks' friend?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)