|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what group did Hooks say is the dominant minority group in some parts of the United States?
2. What did Hooks discuss in Chapter 13?
(c) African American Studies.
3. In Chapter 12, what did Hooks say about the experience of white women?
(a) It was a good mix of having similarities with non-white women and being very different from non-white women.
(b) Hooks does not mention the experience of white women in Chapter 12.
(c) It was completely different from the experience of non-white women.
(d) It was the same as the experience of non-white women.
4. According to Chapter 10, during the period of slavery, owning what made the distinction between the wealthy and the poor?
5. What did Hooks say about most white people during the period of slavery?
(a) They wanted to implement integration.
(b) They were racist.
(c) They owned many slaves.
(d) They were too poor to own slaves.
6. How did Hooks say black and white women are treated?
(a) They are treated as if they are an important part of society.
(b) They are treated no differently than black and white men.
(c) They are treated as if they are second-class citizens.
(d) They are treated as if they are in mutual sexual competition with each other.
7. What is a difference between the upbringing of Hooks and her friend?
(a) She has an urban upbringing while he has a rural upbringing.
(b) There is no difference. They both have a rural upbringing.
(c) She has a rural upbringing while he has an urban upbringing.
(d) She has a suburban upbringing while he has an urban upbringing.
8. Which of the following is one type of course that Hooks has taught?
(b) Black literature.
9. In which of the following did Hooks NOT say the patriarchal structure was the ruling force of?
(c) Community at large.
10. Hooks said a woman's attachment to a given man could do what?
(a) Not affect her social status.
(b) Diminish her social status.
(c) Increase her self-esteem.
(d) Improve her social class.
11. What was the major problem Hooks faced within the patriarchal framework?
(a) Age discrimination.
(c) Class distinction.
12. What did Hooks say about women concerning many of the ideas she addressed in the book?
(a) Women have written her to let Hooks know her ideas are invalid.
(b) Women are indifferent about Hooks' views.
(c) Hooks' ideas are the things that women have been thinking about for quite some time.
(d) Women have said they are not concerned with the issues, but Hooks' ideas are good.
13. Hooks discussed the limitations of what?
14. What did Hooks say about the set of actions of behaviors that teachers can exhibit?
(a) They vary from time to time.
(b) They are plentiful.
(c) They are standard across the board.
(d) They are limited.
15. Hooks said that many white women are racist in what ways?
(a) Complexity or actively and intentionally.
(b) Complexity or inactively and unintentionally.
(c) Complicity or inactively and unintentionally.
(d) Complicity or actively and intentionally.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" published?
2. In Chapter 14, what did Hooks say has influenced the learning process?
3. How did many of Hooks' male students feel about gender issues?
4. What did Hooks say would be the experience for American blacks?
5. How did Hooks view the instructional methods used by teachers?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)