|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Hooks say is expected to accept a greater degree of being silenced?
(a) Lower class.
(b) White women.
(c) Highly educated people.
(d) Black men.
2. What type of market did "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" appeal to?
(a) Those outside of universities.
(b) Students and faculty of secondary schools.
(c) Students within universities.
(d) Faculty within universities.
3. Whom did Hooks thank as the first forum that allowed her talk about the main issue discussed in Chapter 15?
(a) Medical environment.
(b) Feminist environment.
(c) Environment of higher education.
(d) A religious environment.
4. What did Hooks say about most white people during the period of slavery?
(a) They were racist.
(b) They were too poor to own slaves.
(c) They wanted to implement integration.
(d) They owned many slaves.
5. What is the last name of Hooks' friend mentioned in Chapter 13?
6. How did Hooks view the instructional methods used by teachers?
(a) They vary according to the region of the country in which one lives.
(b) They vary according to the gender of the teacher.
(c) There are many to choose from.
(d) There are not many to choose from.
7. What type of experiences did Hooks write about in Chapter 8?
8. Which of the following is one type of course that Hooks has taught?
(d) Black literature.
9. According to Chapter 9, something about this book is symptomatic of what two things?
(a) Prettiness and ugliness.
(b) Good and bad.
(c) Black and white.
(d) Success and failure.
10. In Chapter 9, what group did Hooks say is the dominant minority group in some parts of the United States?
11. Chapter 14 said that Chapter 15 is devoted to what type of issues?
12. Hooks said that many white women are racist in what ways?
(a) Complexity or inactively and unintentionally.
(b) Complicity or actively and intentionally.
(c) Complicity or inactively and unintentionally.
(d) Complexity or actively and intentionally.
13. What did Hooks say should replace the hierarchies that are dismantled?
(a) She does not mention what should replace the hierarchies.
(b) She says feminism should replace the hierarchies.
(c) She says love should replace the hierarchies.
(d) She says tolerance should replace the hierarchies.
14. What did Hooks say about women concerning many of the ideas she addressed in the book?
(a) Hooks' ideas are the things that women have been thinking about for quite some time.
(b) Women are indifferent about Hooks' views.
(c) Women have written her to let Hooks know her ideas are invalid.
(d) Women have said they are not concerned with the issues, but Hooks' ideas are good.
15. In what year was "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" published?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Hooks, when is the system of oppression appropriate?
2. In Chapter 8, Hooks spoke of the importance of doing what to people?
3. In the context of class, what did Hooks say could happen to the status of the black partner within an interracial (black/white) relationship?
4. What is the topic of the great leap forward that Hooks received from one of her male students?
5. What is a difference between the upbringing of Hooks and her friend?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)