|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What racial tension did Hooks mention in Chapter 12 that she mentioned in previous chapters?
(a) Tension between white men and black women.
(b) Tension between black and white men.
(c) Tension between black and white women.
(d) Tension between black men and white women.
2. What did Hooks say is considered by some to be a form of liberation for poor, working women?
(a) Highly educated.
(b) Earning money.
(c) No education.
(d) Not earning money.
3. What did Hooks say women needed to move forward with?
(a) The emotional equivalent of objectives.
(b) The social equivalent of mission statements.
(c) The social equivalent of objectives.
(d) The emotional equivalent of mission statements.
4. What did Hooks say about the gender gap between black men and white women?
(a) The gap is too great for the two groups ever to consider having dealings with each other.
(b) There is no gender gap between the two groups.
(c) It is sometimes improved by sexual attraction and interest.
(d) Due to the major differences of the groups, they have immense hate and disdain for each other.
5. What did Chapter 14 say about the role the students say the teacher has in the learning process?
(a) Teachers encourage the opinions of the students only when they agree with his or hers. When their opinions do not agree with the teacher's, he or she discourages it.
(b) Teachers prevent their (the students') voices from being heard.
(c) Teachers encourage the opinions of the students.
(d) Teachers do not encourage or discourage the students from being heard.
6. According to Chapter 9, what is much of "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" about?
(a) Ways to defy the ruling political party.
(b) The establishment of the Feminist movement.
(c) How to find and marry the person one loves.
(d) Obvious and subtle reasons why her work hasn't been published by a certain press.
7. What did Hooks say the American population is going to be a reconfiguration of?
(a) Separate but equal races.
(b) Total segregation of all races.
(c) Melting pot of minorities.
(d) One race.
8. What did Hooks say about most white people during the period of slavery?
(a) They wanted to implement integration.
(b) They owned many slaves.
(c) They were too poor to own slaves.
(d) They were racist.
9. In Chapter 8, Hooks spoke of the importance of doing what to people?
(d) Physically fighting against.
10. In terms of feminist scholarship, what did Hooks say she was thankful for?
(a) She was thankful that it has become safer for women to do the work necessary.
(b) She was thankful that many of her male colleagues have agreed to help her.
(c) She was thankful that there have been many books written to support the cause.
(d) She was thankful that she has received little opposition along the way.
11. In Chapter 9, what group did Hooks say is the dominant minority group in some parts of the United States?
12. In Chapter 14, what did Hooks say has influenced the learning process?
13. In Chapter 12, Hooks wrote about the patriarchal structure within what context?
(a) All black.
(b) Black and white.
(d) All white.
14. What did Hooks think is necessary to dismantle?
(a) White supremacy and patriarchy.
(b) Politics and matriarchy.
(c) Integration and matriarchy.
(d) Religion and patriarchy.
15. What did Hooks say about the presence of a teacher in a classroom?
(a) It is not necessary.
(b) It is necessary.
(c) It is appreciated but not necessary.
(d) It is unappreciated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a difference between the upbringing of Hooks and her friend?
2. What did Hooks say about women concerning many of the ideas she addressed in the book?
3. Chapter 14 said that it is also often the case that there is a particular strain of _____.
4. What type of market did "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" appeal to?
5. Chapter 9 said that Hooks' work would have been published through what system if it hadn't been flawed?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)