|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Hooks, what is automatically excluded when the standard of good theoretical works is established?
(a) The works of colored women ONLY.
(b) The works of young professionals.
(c) Feminist theory ONLY.
(d) Feminist theory and the works of colored women.
2. What type of person did Hooks say would most likely recognize how significant her work is?
(a) Men who are greatly involved in higher education.
(b) Women who are greatly involved in higher education.
(c) Men whose highest level of education is high school.
(d) Women whose highest level of education is high school.
3. What is the technical term for teaching?
(d) None of the answers is correct.
4. According to Hooks, "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" consists of a great amount of analysis that are natural and _____ for women.
5. In the continuation of Chapter 5, what did Hooks think about the interracial atmosphere?
(a) It is beneficial to whites but not blacks.
(b) It affords many opportunities.
(c) It affords many difficulties.
(d) It affords many opportunities as well as difficulties.
6. In choosing the profession she would like to pursue, which of the following strongly influenced her decision?
(a) Parents' opinions.
(b) Social class and race.
(c) College professors.
(d) Marital status.
7. What type of tension did Hooks say is apparent in the teaching profession?
8. How did Hooks describe the works of the Latina theorist introduced in Chapter 5?
(a) Captivates its readers by presenting blatant untruths.
(b) Having some mystique and a possibly puzzling or unexpected power.
(c) Explains the importance of compromise in a world of dominance and oppression.
(d) Spellbinding yet easily understood.
9. Chapter 4 is an essay that mainly talked about how the works of Hooks' intellectual influence has been what?
10. Who does Hooks believe is in charge of constituting what is considered good theory?
(a) Black men.
(b) Black women.
(c) White women.
(d) White men.
11. How did Hooks feel within her family?
(a) Like an outsider.
(b) Like a burden.
(c) Like the most liked of the children.
(d) Like the one who had to take charge.
12. According to Hooks, what group of people were the masterminds behind the control system?
(a) Asian men.
(b) White men.
(c) Hispanic men.
(d) All men.
13. What did Hooks say about male colleagues' lack of interest or unwillingness to listen to his female counterparts?
(a) It's painful for men and women.
(b) It's painful for women.
(c) It's painful for men.
(d) It's NOT painful for men or women.
14. What personal experience did Hooks talk about in Chapter 2?
(a) Gender identification within schools.
(b) Class discrimination in schools.
(c) Racial segregation of schools.
(d) Racial integration of schools.
15. What example did Hooks give of something a woman has done to build a solid female intellectual tradition ?
(a) When Hooks' sister washed the dishes of a prominent businessman.
(b) When Hooks published "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom".
(c) When Hooks' mother gave birth to her and her siblings.
(d) When Hooks graduated from high school.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 4, Hooks gave the audience her true name. What is it?
2. What did Hooks say about the psyche of women?
3. What did Hooks believe about the best instructional teaching methods?
4. What is different about the way Hooks prints her pseudonym on the cover of the book than you would find on most books?
5. Chapter 6 said that Hooks' works include the framework that consists of analysis that is what?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)