|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is different about the way Hooks prints her pseudonym on the cover of the book than you would find on most books?
(a) It takes up the entire cover.
(b) It consists of no capital letters.
(c) It is circled.
(d) It is written in all capital letters.
2. What did Hooks feel like she was always punished for?
(a) Questioning the patriarchal order.
(b) Questioning the matriarchal order.
(c) Not washing the dishes.
(d) Fighting with her siblings.
3. Hooks said that sometimes oppression is the result of the need to find better ways of aligning what?
(a) Physical forces.
(b) Religious forces.
(c) Social forces.
(d) Emotional forces.
4. Which of the following is a factor that Hooks said affected her career path?
(b) Religious beliefs.
(c) Educational background.
5. How did Hooks feel within her family?
(a) Like a burden.
(b) Like the one who had to take charge.
(c) Like an outsider.
(d) Like the most liked of the children.
6. Hooks said which of the following is most important for an effective educational process?
(c) The text used.
7. In Chapter 3, Hooks said education is always which of the following?
8. According to Hooks, what is the great road of progress for poor men and women with regard to employment?
(a) When they don't make a lot of money.
(b) When they make a lot of money.
(c) When they are able to do the work they enjoy.
(d) When they are able to avoid the work they enjoy.
9. What is the technical term for teaching?
(d) None of the answers is correct.
10. What did Hooks say is a token of progress among women?
(a) The fact that women work in male-dominated fields.
(b) Women giving birth to multiple babies.
(c) The works women do in order to uplift the entire female gender.
(d) Women's desire to fill roles traditionally held by women.
11. What did Hooks say about the work options for poorer people?
(a) They are plentiful.
(b) They are somewhat restricted.
(c) They are jobs that will never allow for promotion.
(d) They are jobs that the poor would enjoy.
12. What personal experience did Hooks talk about in Chapter 2?
(a) Racial integration of schools.
(b) Gender identification within schools.
(c) Racial segregation of schools.
(d) Class discrimination in schools.
13. What did the theorist mentioned in Chapter 7 say about himself?
(a) She did what she could but what she could was absolutely limited by her own femaleness.
(b) His ideas are superior to those of his female counterparts.
(c) He did what he could but what he could was absolutely limited by his own maleness.
(d) Her ideas are superior to those of his male counterparts.
14. Chapter 6 mentioned what type of divisions between minority groups?
15. What theorist did Hooks mention at the end of Chapter 7?
Short Answer Questions
1. Hooks said teachers do best when they are what type of people?
2. Whose theoretical work did Hooks say may not properly be assessed?
3. In Chapter 4, what important tenet did Hooks repeat?
4. In Hooks' experience, what type of classes promotes a very high degree of the freedom of student involvement?
5. In Chapter 1, what did Hooks say with regard to all-black schools and the education process?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)