|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which school year reunion did Hooks mention in Chapter 2?
(a) 10th year.
(b) 20th year.
(c) 15th year.
(d) 30th year.
2. What did the theorist mentioned in Chapter 7 say at the end of the chapter?
(a) Men are the ones who need to develop male psychological theories and practices.
(b) Women are the ones who need to develop male social theories and practices.
(c) Men are the ones who need to develop female social theories and practices.
(d) Women are the ones who need to develop female psychological theories and practices.
3. According to Hooks, when is the profession of teaching best served?
(a) When the parents of the students compliment the teacher's progress.
(b) When a teacher does so with the idea that he/she is nurturing free adults.
(c) When a teacher receives an award or promotion for a job well done.
(d) When all students understand what is being taught.
4. According to Hooks, "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" consists of a great amount of analysis that are natural and _____ for women.
5. What did Hooks notice between white women?
(a) Their level of bonding.
(b) Their level of competition.
(c) Their desire to make each other wealthy.
(d) Their desire to make each other sad.
6. Which of the following did Hooks say is a feminist statement?
(a) She is not sure if she is intelligent enough to pursue career efforts.
(b) Her husband sourced and encouraged his wife to pursue career efforts.
(c) Her husband supported her inherent career efforts.
(d) Her husband will not allow her to pursue career efforts.
7. What did Hooks say about some deceptions?
(a) They can be used to create psychological distress.
(b) They can be used to create painful histories.
(c) They can be used to alleviate psychological distress associated with painful histories.
(d) They can be used to alleviate painful histories.
8. According to Hooks, what should be a teacher's role with regard to students within a classroom and their interaction with other students in the classroom?
(a) The teacher should not address the issue of interaction. He/she should allow the students to decide what is best.
(b) The teacher should discourage interaction between the students and the teacher. Ask the students to focus solely on the text.
(c) The teacher should request that the students only pay attention to the teacher.
(d) The teacher should encourage the interaction between the students.
9. In terms of race, what type of attitude did Hooks discuss in Chapter 5?
(a) Integration and equality.
(b) Black supremacy.
(c) Separate but equal.
(d) White supremacy.
10. What did Hooks say she wants her readers to understand about the continuation of Chapter 5 with regard to analyzing theoretical works?
(a) Theoretical works should only be analyzed by scholars.
(b) The theoretical works of women are the only type that should be analyzed.
(c) It is impossible to analyze theoretical works accurately.
(d) It is partially about setting a standard and partially about holding to the standard.
11. Which of the following is stated in Chapter 6 about a man who has a high-paying career?
(a) It represents success.
(b) The man becomes more attractive to women.
(c) It is the norm. All men have high-paying careers.
(d) The man becomes more important to society.
12. According to Hooks, students many times believe that learning is what?
13. According to Hooks in the continuation of Chapter 5, when is it important to consider the differences between classes?
(a) When establishing theories.
(b) Considering class differences is a form of discrimination and should never be done.
(c) When maintaining theories.
(d) When establishing and maintaining theories.
14. What did Hooks say about male colleagues' lack of interest or unwillingness to listen to his female counterparts?
(a) It's painful for women.
(b) It's painful for men and women.
(c) It's painful for men.
(d) It's NOT painful for men or women.
15. At the end of Chapter 3, what school did Hooks mention?
(a) Oberlin College.
(b) Northwestern University.
(c) Columbia University.
(d) University of Massachusetts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of theorist is the Latina theorist mentioned in Chapter 5?
2. What did Hooks say about the work options for poorer people?
3. What type of thinking did Hooks say is crucial to the educational process?
4. Hooks said that sometimes oppression is the result of the need to find better ways of aligning what?
5. How did Hooks describe the works of the Latina theorist introduced in Chapter 5?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)