|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hooks say is a token of progress among women?
(a) Women giving birth to multiple babies.
(b) The fact that women work in male-dominated fields.
(c) Women's desire to fill roles traditionally held by women.
(d) The works women do in order to uplift the entire female gender.
2. What did Hooks mention as a tool that cuts both ways with regard to progress?
(a) Judgmental attitude.
3. What did Hooks say about some deceptions?
(a) They can be used to alleviate painful histories.
(b) They can be used to create painful histories.
(c) They can be used to create psychological distress.
(d) They can be used to alleviate psychological distress associated with painful histories.
4. According to Hooks, what should be a teacher's role with regard to students within a classroom and their interaction with other students in the classroom?
(a) The teacher should discourage interaction between the students and the teacher. Ask the students to focus solely on the text.
(b) The teacher should request that the students only pay attention to the teacher.
(c) The teacher should encourage the interaction between the students.
(d) The teacher should not address the issue of interaction. He/she should allow the students to decide what is best.
5. What is the technical term for teaching?
(c) None of the answers is correct.
6. At what point in her school career did Hooks' personal experience take place?
(a) During undergraduate school.
(b) During elementary school.
(c) During middle school.
(d) During secondary school.
7. Which of the following did Hooks say is a feminist statement?
(a) Her husband sourced and encouraged his wife to pursue career efforts.
(b) She is not sure if she is intelligent enough to pursue career efforts.
(c) Her husband supported her inherent career efforts.
(d) Her husband will not allow her to pursue career efforts.
8. What did Hooks say about the works that were published by the Latina theorist mentioned?
(a) They did not affect the lives of anyone.
(b) They did receive the honor they were due.
(c) They were originally written in Mandarin.
(d) They did not receive the honor they were due.
9. Which of the following is stated in Chapter 6 about a man who has a high-paying career?
(a) The man becomes more attractive to women.
(b) The man becomes more important to society.
(c) It is the norm. All men have high-paying careers.
(d) It represents success.
10. What did Hooks notice between white women?
(a) Their desire to make each other wealthy.
(b) Their desire to make each other sad.
(c) Their level of competition.
(d) Their level of bonding.
11. According to Hooks, what group of people were the masterminds behind the control system?
(a) Asian men.
(b) All men.
(c) White men.
(d) Hispanic men.
12. How did Hooks describe the works of the Latina theorist introduced in Chapter 5?
(a) Explains the importance of compromise in a world of dominance and oppression.
(b) Having some mystique and a possibly puzzling or unexpected power.
(c) Captivates its readers by presenting blatant untruths.
(d) Spellbinding yet easily understood.
13. What need/expectation did Hooks say is common in poorer women?
(a) To have children.
(b) To get married.
(c) To earn money.
(d) To obtain a post-secondary school degree.
14. What is different about the way Hooks prints her pseudonym on the cover of the book than you would find on most books?
(a) It consists of no capital letters.
(b) It is written in all capital letters.
(c) It is circled.
(d) It takes up the entire cover.
15. According to Hooks, what is automatically excluded when the standard of good theoretical works is established?
(a) The works of colored women ONLY.
(b) The works of young professionals.
(c) Feminist theory and the works of colored women.
(d) Feminist theory ONLY.
Short Answer Questions
1. What example did Hooks give of something a woman has done to build a solid female intellectual tradition ?
2. What did Hooks say is necessary in order to achieve higher quality results when analyzing theoretical works?
3. In Hooks' experience, what type of classes promotes a very high degree of the freedom of student involvement?
4. How did Hooks say her work is often received by its readers?
5. Hooks said a woman with a high-paying career could represent which of the following?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)