|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Hooks, what group of people were the masterminds behind the control system?
(a) White men.
(b) Hispanic men.
(c) All men.
(d) Asian men.
2. What theorist did Hooks mention at the end of Chapter 7?
3. What is an example that Hooks gave of something of male effort that women benefit from in everyday life?
(d) Sewage systems.
4. What type of tension did Hooks say is apparent in the teaching profession?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 4, Hooks gave the audience her true name. What is it?
(a) Elizabeth Brown.
(b) Sally Williams.
(c) Amy Wright.
(d) Gloria Watkins.
6. According to Hooks, students many times believe that learning is what?
7. According to Hooks in the continuation of Chapter 5, when is it important to consider the differences between classes?
(a) Considering class differences is a form of discrimination and should never be done.
(b) When maintaining theories.
(c) When establishing theories.
(d) When establishing and maintaining theories.
8. In Chapter 2, what type of person did Hooks say she made friends with?
(a) A black girl-woman.
(b) A white boy-man.
(c) A white girl-woman.
(d) A black boy-man.
9. Hooks said that sometimes oppression is the result of the need to find better ways of aligning what?
(a) Physical forces.
(b) Social forces.
(c) Emotional forces.
(d) Religious forces.
10. According to Hooks, what is the great road of progress for poor men and women with regard to employment?
(a) When they are able to do the work they enjoy.
(b) When they make a lot of money.
(c) When they don't make a lot of money.
(d) When they are able to avoid the work they enjoy.
11. What did the theorist mentioned in Chapter 7 say at the end of the chapter?
(a) Men are the ones who need to develop male psychological theories and practices.
(b) Women are the ones who need to develop female psychological theories and practices.
(c) Women are the ones who need to develop male social theories and practices.
(d) Men are the ones who need to develop female social theories and practices.
12. Of feminist theories, Hooks said that they will be great in what?
(a) Intensity ONLY.
(c) Quantity and intensity.
(d) Quantity ONLY.
13. In Hooks' experience, what type of classes promotes a very high degree of the freedom of student involvement?
(b) Interior Design.
(d) Women's Studies.
14. The bulk of Hooks' "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" cites which of the following?
(a) Fractures in the justice system.
(b) A variety of similarities.
(c) A variety of differences.
(d) Comparison and contrast of several religions.
15. What main concepts were used in Chapter 4?
(a) Social and economic status.
(b) Subject and object as roles and perspectives.
(c) Race and religion.
(d) Age and gender.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was one of Hooks' intellectual influences?
2. What is different about the way Hooks prints her pseudonym on the cover of the book than you would find on most books?
3. What did Hooks say is a token of progress among women?
4. What type of theorist is the Latina theorist mentioned in Chapter 5?
5. Hooks said teachers do best when they are what type of people?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)