|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 1, whose work did Hooks mention?
(a) Thich Nhat Hanh.
(b) Thine Nhat Hanh.
(c) Thin Not Han.
(d) Thicke Nat Hhan.
2. What personal experience did Hooks talk about in Chapter 2?
(a) Gender identification within schools.
(b) Racial integration of schools.
(c) Class discrimination in schools.
(d) Racial segregation of schools.
3. How did Hooks feel within her family?
(a) Like the most liked of the children.
(b) Like a burden.
(c) Like an outsider.
(d) Like the one who had to take charge.
4. What did Hooks notice between white women?
(a) Their desire to make each other sad.
(b) Their level of competition.
(c) Their level of bonding.
(d) Their desire to make each other wealthy.
5. In Chapter 5, what was the relationship status of Hooks' parents?
(a) Married but separated.
(c) Never married but are a part of the children's lives.
(d) Married and living together.
6. What theorist did Hooks mention at the end of Chapter 7?
7. In choosing the profession she would like to pursue, which of the following strongly influenced her decision?
(a) Marital status.
(b) College professors.
(c) Social class and race.
(d) Parents' opinions.
8. What is different about the way Hooks prints her pseudonym on the cover of the book than you would find on most books?
(a) It is circled.
(b) It consists of no capital letters.
(c) It takes up the entire cover.
(d) It is written in all capital letters.
9. How did Hooks describe the works of the Latina theorist introduced in Chapter 5?
(a) Explains the importance of compromise in a world of dominance and oppression.
(b) Captivates its readers by presenting blatant untruths.
(c) Having some mystique and a possibly puzzling or unexpected power.
(d) Spellbinding yet easily understood.
10. What did Hooks say about the works that were published by the Latina theorist mentioned?
(a) They did not affect the lives of anyone.
(b) They did receive the honor they were due.
(c) They were originally written in Mandarin.
(d) They did not receive the honor they were due.
11. Hooks said who must be happy in order for education to be most effective?
(a) Teacher ONLY.
(b) Students ONLY.
(c) Administration, teachers, and students.
(d) Teacher and students.
12. At the end of Chapter 3, what school did Hooks mention?
(a) Oberlin College.
(b) Columbia University.
(c) University of Massachusetts.
(d) Northwestern University.
13. Hooks said a woman with a high-paying career could represent which of the following?
(a) Success for the woman.
(b) This is not an accurate picture of what women are capable of doing.
(c) Success for the woman's husband.
(d) Financial failure.
14. What did Hooks say is a token of progress among women?
(a) Women giving birth to multiple babies.
(b) Women's desire to fill roles traditionally held by women.
(c) The fact that women work in male-dominated fields.
(d) The works women do in order to uplift the entire female gender.
15. What is an example that Hooks gave of something of male effort that women benefit from in everyday life?
(c) Sewage systems.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hooks say she wants her readers to understand about the continuation of Chapter 5 with regard to analyzing theoretical works?
2. What did the theorist mentioned in Chapter 7 say about himself?
3. Hooks said teachers do best when they are what type of people?
4. Which of the following is a factor that Hooks said affected her career path?
5. When Hooks mentioned having meetings, who was initially a part of the meeting?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)