• Hooks explained it is important that teachers understand their purpose is to nurture their students. Doing so will prompt teachers to use the best instructional methods, which will promote student participation in the learning process.
• According to Hooks, teachers must focus on encouraging independent thinking, as this is crucial to the success of education.
Chapters 2 & 3
• Hooks shared her experience with integration. She was bussed from her black neighborhood to a white school further away as a way of beginning the integration process, which was a change she did not enjoy.
• Hooks displayed her belief that even though students are taught to believe the education process consists of universal truths, there is always a political agenda behind it.
• It is said author Gloria Watkins used the pseudonym "bell hooks" (without capital letters) for one or a combination of reasons, as a sign of humility or a way...
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)