|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Natural History and Physiology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By what name did natural philosophers want to be known as, according to the narrator in Chapter 1?
(c) Men of Letters.
(d) Men of Honor.
2. Who saw his physiology as an animata anatome, an experimental science that investigated and explained the special properties and functions of living matter without going beyond the information obtained from the senses?
3. Who claimed a community of atheists could live a completely moral existence, according to Chapter 1 of the book "Science and the Enlightenment"?
(d) Pierre Bayle.
4. In Chapter 4, who found that many liquids cooled on evaporation: the more volatile the liquid, the greater the amount of cooling?
5. The influx of German texts coincided with the revival of French chemistry under ________, who began his famous chemical lectures at the Jardin de Roi in 1742.
Short Answer Questions
1. Saussure found that plants grow better in an atmosphere rich in fixed air, up to a concentration of approximately ________ percent.
2. Descartes's "quantity of motion" is equivalent to our modern principle of the conservation of ________.
3. Joseph Pitton de Tournefort, Antoine de Jussieu, and Carl Linnaeus were considered ________, according to the narrator in Chapter 5.
4. In 1757, thirty years after Hales described his experiments with ________, Joseph Black discovered the phenomenon of ________.
5. Chapter 5 states that ________ means an inquiry or investigation into nature.
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)