|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Mathematics and the Exact Sciences.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chapter 2 states that ________ had been created to deal with the problem of motion and that the new mathematical techniques discovered in the eighteenth century were all responses to the challenges of mechanics.
2. In Chapter 2, what was the name of the path of a body that is dragged over a resisting horizontal surface by a cord of which one end moves along a straight line found?
3. In the early years of the Enlightenment, the strongest support on the Continent for Newton's philosophy came from ________.
4. By what name did natural philosophers want to be known as, according to the narrator in Chapter 1?
(c) Men of Honor.
(d) Men of Letters.
5. What area of study in the Middle Ages had been the domain of those truths that could be found through the use of reason alone without the revelation of the Bible?
(a) Mied mathematics.
(d) Natural theology.
Short Answer Questions
1. Vis viva was thought by its creator ________ to be the dynamic quantity that was conserved in the universe, according to the narrator in Chapter 2.
2. In 1819, who gave a clue to the source of this pessimism when he wrote that "the power of our analysis is practically exhausted"?
3. According to the narrator in Chapter 1, what was the key to a correct method whose model was mathematics?
4. The eighteenth century was called by the French the ________ because of its emphasis on reason as a path to knowledge.
5. Who became the leading literary figure of the Enlightenment and in 1734 published "Philosophical Letters"?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)