|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Natural History and Physiology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 3, ________ and ________ were both led to the problem of specific heat by the discovery that a great deal of heat was required to melt ice, even though its temperature remained at the melting point.
(a) Galvani / Volta.
(b) Black / Wilcke.
(c) Black / Coulomb.
(d) Wilcke / Robison.
2. All of the following were forms of fire, according to Boerhaave and Musschenbroek, except for which one?
3. ________, working with the knowledge of latent heat, realized that a big difference in heat could be obtained with a small difference in temperature, if one compared water and ice.
4. Beginning in 1760, all of the following individuals were considered the three best experimentalists of the century who were all drawn to the ovist version of the preformation theory except for which one?
5. In Chapter 5, who analyzed the mechanics of the muscles and skeleton of the human body and tried to explain muscular contraction as a hydraulic or mechanical inflation of the tissue?
Short Answer Questions
1. Joseph Pitton de Tournefort, Antoine de Jussieu, and Carl Linnaeus were considered ________, according to the narrator in Chapter 5.
2. The narrator reveals that mathematicians pursued ________, in which the physical object was reduced to a few idealized properties that were capable of quantification.
3. Vis viva was thought by its creator ________ to be the dynamic quantity that was conserved in the universe, according to the narrator in Chapter 2.
4. What was Diderot's first philosophical work, according to the narrator in Chapter 5?
5. According to the narrator in Chapter 5, who coined the word "spermatozoon" in 1827?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)