|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Natural History and Physiology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 5, who wrote, "We may conclude that the organs of the body have not always existed, but have been formed successively - no matter how this formation has been brought about"?
2. According to the narrator in Chapter 5, who coined the word "spermatozoon" in 1827?
(c) Von Baer.
3. Who had written a preface to the second edition of the "Principia," supposedly with Newton's blessing, that described gravity as a force acting at a distance without any intervening medium?
(a) Roger Cortes.
(b) Robert Boyle.
(c) James Butler.
(d) Henry Oldenburg.
4. ________ in Italy and ________ in Holland did experiments in which they measured the impact of a falling ball by dropping in onto clay.
(a) Giovanni Poleni / 'sGravesande.
(b) Newton / Aristotle.
(c) 'sGravesande / Descartes.
(d) Voltaire / d'Alembert.
5. Who stated in 1665 that "Analysis...seems to belong no more to Mathematics than to Physics, Ethics or any other Science"?
(c) Isaac Barrow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who believed that the universe would run down if it were not for God's intervention to renew his creation?
2. The narrator reveals that vis viva was a measure of ________ to conserve his creation while "action" was a measure of his efficiency.
3. What was the name of the path by which an object slides from one point to another that is not on the same vertical line in the shortest possible time?
4. In Chapter 5, who analyzed the mechanics of the muscles and skeleton of the human body and tried to explain muscular contraction as a hydraulic or mechanical inflation of the tissue?
5. Harvey followed the Aristotelian notion that the embryo began as a homogeneous mass and that the organs formed one after another from this homogeneous substance in a process called ________.
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)