Chapter 1, The Character of the Enlightenment
1. According to the beginning of Chapter 1, in 1759 the French mathematician ________ described a revolution that he saw taking place in natural philosophy.
(a) Jean Lerond d'Alembert.
2. What was the name of the revolution that was a cultural event associated with Galileo Galilei, Johannes Kepler, Rene Descartes, and Isaac Newton?
(a) French Revolution.
(b) Enlightenment Revolution.
(c) American Revolution.
(d) Scientific Revolution.
3. Who coined the expression "Scientific Revolution," according to the narrator in Chapter 1?
(c) Jean Lerond d'Alembert.
4. Chapter 1 states that in 1700, ________ first talked about an "almost complete revolution in geometry" that had begun with the analytic geometry of Descartes.
(a) Bernard le Bovier de Fontenelle.
5. According to Chapter 1, ________, in 1747, attributed the cause of a "great revolution in physics" to Newton's "Principia."
(b) Alexis-Claude Clairaut.
This section contains 5,181 words
(approx. 18 pages at 300 words per page)