|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which company's name translates to "partnership with the land"?
2. Who is the largest employer in Weld County, Colorado?
3. The Internet at the heart of today's economy started out as what?
4. Companies from which country have bought Chrysler, Random House, and RCA Records?
5. What are the knee high rubber boots that the author puts on before entering the meatpacking plant?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a friend of Jesus, a late-night cleaning crew member, react when he enters the rendering room and why?
2. What is the difference between good E.coli and bad E. coli?
3. How do the problems McDonald's is having with expansion resemble those of the British Empire a century ago?
4. Why does the author say that the "market" is a tool?
5. Why does East German parliament member, Ernst Doerfler, call for a ban on McDonald's in East Germany?
6. How does the vegetarian community react when it is brought to light that there is a beef additive in the McDonald's french fries?
7. How does World War I destroy the culture of Plauen, Germany?
8. Why do meatpacking workers routinely develop cumulative trauma disorders?
9. According to the author, what is one of President George W. Bush's first acts in office?
10. Why is the impact of fast food readily apparent in Germany?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What effect does Upton Sinclair's novel, The Jungle, have on the meat-packing industry? What is Sinclair's intended effect in writing the book? What type of legislation is passed as a result of his book's publication?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author compare the appearance of bacterium Escherichia coli O157:H7 to the outbreak of the AIDS virus? Include when each first appeared, its affects on its victims, and how each can lie dormant for years, and what conditions have made it possible for each to thrive.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the culture in San Bernardino after World War II. Illustrate the dichotomy between the McDonald's philosophy and the presence of the Hell's Angels. What are the values of each? What are some of the trappings of each aspect of the culture?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)