|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which California-based restaurant chain boasts no microwaves, heat lamps, or freezers?
2. Which packing house owner is one of the two people from Colorado to be put on President Nixon's enemy list?
3. What is the name of the supervisor given in the book who belittles his employees injuries, cursing them out, and shouting at his workers to move faster?
4. Who purchases IBP in this chapter?
5. What does the "knocker" use to shoot the live cattle in the head as they enter the building?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the problems McDonald's is having with expansion resemble those of the British Empire a century ago?
2. Why does Sandra Gallegos disagree with Lee Harding's assumption that he got E. coli poisoning from a chicken taco at a Mexican restaurant?
3. Why do meatpacking workers routinely develop cumulative trauma disorders?
4. Why does the author say that the "market" is a tool?
5. Why is the impact of fast food readily apparent in Germany?
6. What is the difference between good E.coli and bad E. coli?
7. How does a friend of Jesus, a late-night cleaning crew member, react when he enters the rendering room and why?
8. According to the author, what is one of President George W. Bush's first acts in office?
9. How does the McDonald's Corporation review Fast Food Nation?
10. How does World War I destroy the culture of Plauen, Germany?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of different food additives in the processed food industry. Why do additives become important? What kinds of additives are used and where do they come from?
Essay Topic 2
How does the innovation of the Chicken McNugget change the fast food food industry? How does it change the poultry industry? Which companies are involved in this evolution and how?
Essay Topic 3
Who benefits from "conservation easements"? Why? What type of rancher faces the most economic difficulty in light of population growth and larger companies having captive supplies? Why? What other advantages do large companies have over smaller ranchers?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)