|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The annual bonuses of plant foremen and supervisors are often based on what?
2. Which pet food company was responsible for contracting a feline variant of mad cow disease?
3. Which packing house owner is one of the two people from Colorado to be put on President Nixon's enemy list?
4. The 1980 Education Act eliminates government subsidies for ___________.
5. Which is the only state in the union to allow companies to leave the worker's comp system and set up its own system for dealing with injuries?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the scariest job performed by the late-night cleaning crew and why?
2. Why does East German parliament member, Ernst Doerfler, call for a ban on McDonald's in East Germany?
3. How does World War I destroy the culture of Plauen, Germany?
4. Why do meatpacking workers routinely develop cumulative trauma disorders?
5. How does a friend of Jesus, a late-night cleaning crew member, react when he enters the rendering room and why?
6. What was the most popular meat in America before World War II and why did that change?
7. Why is the impact of fast food readily apparent in Germany?
8. Why is the high turnover rate in the meatpacking industry not a concern for large companies?
9. How does the vegetarian community react when it is brought to light that there is a beef additive in the McDonald's french fries?
10. What is the difference between good E.coli and bad E. coli?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What effect does Upton Sinclair's novel, The Jungle, have on the meat-packing industry? What is Sinclair's intended effect in writing the book? What type of legislation is passed as a result of his book's publication?
Essay Topic 2
Who benefits from "conservation easements"? Why? What type of rancher faces the most economic difficulty in light of population growth and larger companies having captive supplies? Why? What other advantages do large companies have over smaller ranchers?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the inherent conflict of interest between franchisees and franchisors. Include references to the way in which Subway obtains franchisees and the concept of encroachment.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)