|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which California-based restaurant chain boasts no microwaves, heat lamps, or freezers?
2. Who is the largest employer in Weld County, Colorado?
3. Who kills Nathan Meeker in a dispute in 1879?
4. How many pounds of ground beef can a single infected animal contaminate with E. coli O157:H7?
5. Who was the newly elected governor of Nebraska told by Mike Harper that his company needed more tax breaks or it would pick up shop and leave the state?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between good E.coli and bad E. coli?
2. How does World War I destroy the culture of Plauen, Germany?
3. Why do meatpacking workers routinely develop cumulative trauma disorders?
4. Why is grain-fed beef preferable to grass-fed beef?
5. Why is the impact of fast food readily apparent in Germany?
6. What new production method developed by IBP causes skilled, unionized supermarket butchers to be fired?
7. According to anthropologist, Yunxiang Yan, what does McDonald's represent for Beijing customers?
8. According to the author, what is one of President George W. Bush's first acts in office?
9. What is the scariest job performed by the late-night cleaning crew and why?
10. How do the problems McDonald's is having with expansion resemble those of the British Empire a century ago?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the daily routine of Elisa Zamot, the sixteen-year-old described in the book who works at McDonald's. How is she like many other teenagers who work at McDonald's? Why does McDonald's hire teenagers? How is Elisa treated at work?
Essay Topic 2
How did Mike Harper of ConAgra manipulate the Nebraska tax code? Which governor was involved? What tax breaks did he want? How do these breaks help other companies? What threat did he make if his demands were not met? What did he do after he got everything he wanted?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of different food additives in the processed food industry. Why do additives become important? What kinds of additives are used and where do they come from?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)