|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Titan II missiles at which company's plant northwest of Colorado Springs were originally designed to carry nuclear warheads?
2. Which room in the meatpacking plant contains machines that assemble cardboard boxes and vacuum seal meat in plastic?
3. The annual bonuses of plant foremen and supervisors are often based on what?
4. Who kills Nathan Meeker in a dispute in 1879?
5. What is the name of the "labor consultant" from New York City who meets with IBP and has close ties to La Cosa Nostra?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does East German parliament member, Ernst Doerfler, call for a ban on McDonald's in East Germany?
2. Why is the impact of fast food readily apparent in Germany?
3. Why does Sandra Gallegos disagree with Lee Harding's assumption that he got E. coli poisoning from a chicken taco at a Mexican restaurant?
4. What new production method developed by IBP causes skilled, unionized supermarket butchers to be fired?
5. What are the main reasons that most migrant workers look for meatpacking jobs in America?
6. What was the most popular meat in America before World War II and why did that change?
7. What does one of Dale Lasater's grandfather's do to fight against the Beef Trust?
8. How does a friend of Jesus, a late-night cleaning crew member, react when he enters the rendering room and why?
9. What is the difference between good E.coli and bad E. coli?
10. Why is grain-fed beef preferable to grass-fed beef?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the plight of the Idaho potato farmer. How does the potato industry evolve in the twentieth century? Who are the major players involved in changing the potato industry? How does the development of potatoes into a bulk commodity affect the farmer?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the lives of Ray Kroc and Walt Disney. Include their personal histories, their business philosophies, and their interactions with each other.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Henry Ford's assembly line style of production affects evolution of service in the fast food industry. What restaurant chains espouse this method of production? Why is it so effective?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)