|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which company required that meatpacking houses slaughter cattle more humanely or lose their business?
2. Who kills Nathan Meeker in a dispute in 1879?
3. What has the upheaval caused by fundamental changes that sweep the meat-packing industry come to be known as?
4. Which fast food chain made hamburgers popular in the 1920's?
5. What was the name of the cat that died in Bristol, England of a feline variant of mad cow disease?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the different jobs in a slaughterhouse. Include the tools used and the inherent dangers in each job.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the inherent conflict of interest between franchisees and franchisors. Include references to the way in which Subway obtains franchisees and the concept of encroachment.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the daily routine of Elisa Zamot, the sixteen-year-old described in the book who works at McDonald's. How is she like many other teenagers who work at McDonald's? Why does McDonald's hire teenagers? How is Elisa treated at work?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)