|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Injured workers at IBP who can't claim worker's comp almost always sign a ________ or risk losing their jobs.
2. How many pounds of ground beef can a single infected animal contaminate with E. coli O157:H7?
3. What town is near Lasater Ranch?
4. Chickens are regulated by what federal agency?
5. Which kind of grass-fed, lower fat beef considered a gourmet item and may be less likely to spread E. coli?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the high turnover rate in the meatpacking industry not a concern for large companies?
2. Why is the impact of fast food readily apparent in Germany?
3. How does In-N-Out Burger do business differently than other restaurants?
4. How do the problems McDonald's is having with expansion resemble those of the British Empire a century ago?
5. How does the vegetarian community react when it is brought to light that there is a beef additive in the McDonald's french fries?
6. What was the most popular meat in America before World War II and why did that change?
7. How does World War I destroy the culture of Plauen, Germany?
8. What is the scariest job performed by the late-night cleaning crew and why?
9. Why do meatpacking workers routinely develop cumulative trauma disorders?
10. Why is grain-fed beef preferable to grass-fed beef?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author compare the appearance of bacterium Escherichia coli O157:H7 to the outbreak of the AIDS virus? Include when each first appeared, its affects on its victims, and how each can lie dormant for years, and what conditions have made it possible for each to thrive.
Essay Topic 2
How does the innovation of the Chicken McNugget change the fast food food industry? How does it change the poultry industry? Which companies are involved in this evolution and how?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the inherent conflict of interest between franchisees and franchisors. Include references to the way in which Subway obtains franchisees and the concept of encroachment.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)