|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which California-based restaurant chain boasts no microwaves, heat lamps, or freezers?
2. Cattle manure is not sent to waste treatment plants but dumped into ______.
3. Who was elected for a second term in the 1999 Colorado Springs mayoral race?
4. Chickens are regulated by what federal agency?
5. At the writing of this book, who is the current CEO of McDonald's Corporation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the most popular meat in America before World War II and why did that change?
2. What new production method developed by IBP causes skilled, unionized supermarket butchers to be fired?
3. Why is Red Top Restaurant a good place to work?
4. How does In-N-Out Burger do business differently than other restaurants?
5. What does one of Dale Lasater's grandfather's do to fight against the Beef Trust?
6. Why does the author say that the "market" is a tool?
7. Why does Sandra Gallegos disagree with Lee Harding's assumption that he got E. coli poisoning from a chicken taco at a Mexican restaurant?
8. What is the difference between good E.coli and bad E. coli?
9. How does the McDonald's Corporation review Fast Food Nation?
10. What percentage of the American population suffers a bout of food poisoning each year?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who benefits from "conservation easements"? Why? What type of rancher faces the most economic difficulty in light of population growth and larger companies having captive supplies? Why? What other advantages do large companies have over smaller ranchers?
Essay Topic 2
What effect does IBP have on the meat-packing industry? How does the nature of labor change in the meat-packing industry? Who are the major players involved and how does their involvement contribute to the company's getting into legal trouble?
Essay Topic 3
How did Mike Harper of ConAgra manipulate the Nebraska tax code? Which governor was involved? What tax breaks did he want? How do these breaks help other companies? What threat did he make if his demands were not met? What did he do after he got everything he wanted?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)