|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Titan II missiles at which company's plant northwest of Colorado Springs were originally designed to carry nuclear warheads?
2. Where do some meatpacking workers cook little bits of meat on a shift?
3. Which California-based restaurant chain boasts no microwaves, heat lamps, or freezers?
4. The sections of beef known as chucks, loins, ribs, and rounds are known as _______.
5. What has the upheaval caused by fundamental changes that sweep the meat-packing industry come to be known as?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the scariest job performed by the late-night cleaning crew and why?
2. Why do meatpacking workers routinely develop cumulative trauma disorders?
3. According to the author, what is one of President George W. Bush's first acts in office?
4. According to anthropologist, Yunxiang Yan, what does McDonald's represent for Beijing customers?
5. Why does the author say that the "market" is a tool?
6. Why is Red Top Restaurant a good place to work?
7. How does In-N-Out Burger do business differently than other restaurants?
8. What was the most popular meat in America before World War II and why did that change?
9. How does World War I destroy the culture of Plauen, Germany?
10. Why does East German parliament member, Ernst Doerfler, call for a ban on McDonald's in East Germany?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author compare the appearance of bacterium Escherichia coli O157:H7 to the outbreak of the AIDS virus? Include when each first appeared, its affects on its victims, and how each can lie dormant for years, and what conditions have made it possible for each to thrive.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the lives of Ray Kroc and Walt Disney. Include their personal histories, their business philosophies, and their interactions with each other.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the inherent conflict of interest between franchisees and franchisors. Include references to the way in which Subway obtains franchisees and the concept of encroachment.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)