|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1993, who becomes the first Latino head of the UFCW in Packingtown (Chicago)?
2. What town is near Lasater Ranch?
3. Which kind of grass-fed, lower fat beef considered a gourmet item and may be less likely to spread E. coli?
4. The 1980 Education Act eliminates government subsidies for ___________.
5. Who kills Nathan Meeker in a dispute in 1879?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the scariest job performed by the late-night cleaning crew and why?
2. Why does East German parliament member, Ernst Doerfler, call for a ban on McDonald's in East Germany?
3. What are the main reasons that most migrant workers look for meatpacking jobs in America?
4. How do the problems McDonald's is having with expansion resemble those of the British Empire a century ago?
5. Why is Red Top Restaurant a good place to work?
6. What percentage of the American population suffers a bout of food poisoning each year?
7. How does the McDonald's Corporation review Fast Food Nation?
8. Why is grain-fed beef preferable to grass-fed beef?
9. According to the author, what is one of President George W. Bush's first acts in office?
10. Why does Sandra Gallegos disagree with Lee Harding's assumption that he got E. coli poisoning from a chicken taco at a Mexican restaurant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the plight of the Idaho potato farmer. How does the potato industry evolve in the twentieth century? Who are the major players involved in changing the potato industry? How does the development of potatoes into a bulk commodity affect the farmer?
Essay Topic 2
How do fast food companies market products to children? In what ways do companies maximize their products' exposure to kids once they become interested? What are some of the categories of "juvenile nagging tactics"? How are parents marketed to to maximize the child market?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author compare the appearance of bacterium Escherichia coli O157:H7 to the outbreak of the AIDS virus? Include when each first appeared, its affects on its victims, and how each can lie dormant for years, and what conditions have made it possible for each to thrive.
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)