|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1993, who becomes the first Latino head of the UFCW in Packingtown (Chicago)?
2. Who kills Nathan Meeker in a dispute in 1879?
3. What is the other name for mad cow disease from the book?
4. What is the primary export of Plauen, Germany before World War I?
5. What chemicals described in The Jungle are used to disguise the smell of spoiled beef?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author say that the "market" is a tool?
2. According to anthropologist, Yunxiang Yan, what does McDonald's represent for Beijing customers?
3. How does World War I destroy the culture of Plauen, Germany?
4. Why does Sandra Gallegos disagree with Lee Harding's assumption that he got E. coli poisoning from a chicken taco at a Mexican restaurant?
5. What is the difference between good E.coli and bad E. coli?
6. Why is Red Top Restaurant a good place to work?
7. Why is grain-fed beef preferable to grass-fed beef?
8. What was the most popular meat in America before World War II and why did that change?
9. How does the McDonald's Corporation review Fast Food Nation?
10. How does a friend of Jesus, a late-night cleaning crew member, react when he enters the rendering room and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Henry Ford's assembly line style of production affects evolution of service in the fast food industry. What restaurant chains espouse this method of production? Why is it so effective?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the inherent conflict of interest between franchisees and franchisors. Include references to the way in which Subway obtains franchisees and the concept of encroachment.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the different jobs in a slaughterhouse. Include the tools used and the inherent dangers in each job.
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)