|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the apron and gloves made of that workers put on to protect themselves from knife wounds?
2. Which variant of mad cow disease literally destroys the brains of ten young people in Britain?
3. Which company's name translates to "partnership with the land"?
4. Dale Lasater's father, Tom, dropped out of which college?
5. What chemicals described in The Jungle are used to disguise the smell of spoiled beef?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does one of Dale Lasater's grandfather's do to fight against the Beef Trust?
2. What was the most popular meat in America before World War II and why did that change?
3. Why does the author say that the "market" is a tool?
4. How are most jobs performed in the beef industry and how is it different than the poultry industry?
5. How does a friend of Jesus, a late-night cleaning crew member, react when he enters the rendering room and why?
6. What new production method developed by IBP causes skilled, unionized supermarket butchers to be fired?
7. Why is the high turnover rate in the meatpacking industry not a concern for large companies?
8. How does the vegetarian community react when it is brought to light that there is a beef additive in the McDonald's french fries?
9. Why does East German parliament member, Ernst Doerfler, call for a ban on McDonald's in East Germany?
10. What is the difference between good E.coli and bad E. coli?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the culture in San Bernardino after World War II. Illustrate the dichotomy between the McDonald's philosophy and the presence of the Hell's Angels. What are the values of each? What are some of the trappings of each aspect of the culture?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the conservative nature of the city of Colorado Springs evolved. Include the historical, political, and religious aspects of the city.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the life of the rancher has changed since the days of the Wild West. Ho does the impact of new ranching techniques and the development of big cattle companies affect ranching?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)