|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who slits the neck of a steer every ten seconds in the meatpacking house?
2. In the 1920's, Plauen has the most millionaires in Germany and the most _____.
3. Which packing house owner is one of the two people from Colorado to be put on President Nixon's enemy list?
4. How many pounds of ground beef can a single infected animal contaminate with E. coli O157:H7?
5. Which group quickly agrees to a large pay cut for its workers when Monfort takes over a Grand Island, Nebraska slaughterhouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the scariest job performed by the late-night cleaning crew and why?
2. What is the difference between good E.coli and bad E. coli?
3. What does one of Dale Lasater's grandfather's do to fight against the Beef Trust?
4. Why does the author say that the "market" is a tool?
5. How does the McDonald's Corporation review Fast Food Nation?
6. How does a friend of Jesus, a late-night cleaning crew member, react when he enters the rendering room and why?
7. How do the problems McDonald's is having with expansion resemble those of the British Empire a century ago?
8. How does In-N-Out Burger do business differently than other restaurants?
9. How does World War I destroy the culture of Plauen, Germany?
10. Why is the high turnover rate in the meatpacking industry not a concern for large companies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the conservative nature of the city of Colorado Springs evolved. Include the historical, political, and religious aspects of the city.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of different food additives in the processed food industry. Why do additives become important? What kinds of additives are used and where do they come from?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the affects that the influx of migrant workers has on communities where the meatpacking industry exists. What attracts people from south of the border to want to work America? How are the companies at fault for the negative impact on the local health care systems? What promises have GFI America make to workers from Eagle Pass, Texas that had a negative impact on the economy?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)