|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who slits the neck of a steer every ten seconds in the meatpacking house?
2. Which health secretary surprises the British Parliament by declaring that mad cow disease might jump species and infect humans?
3. At the writing of this book, who is the current CEO of McDonald's Corporation?
4. What are the apron and gloves made of that workers put on to protect themselves from knife wounds?
5. What is the job title of a worker in a packinghouse who pulls the stomach out of a steer and ties off the intestines?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the main reasons that most migrant workers look for meatpacking jobs in America?
2. According to the author, what is one of President George W. Bush's first acts in office?
3. What new production method developed by IBP causes skilled, unionized supermarket butchers to be fired?
4. Why is Red Top Restaurant a good place to work?
5. Why do meatpacking workers routinely develop cumulative trauma disorders?
6. Why is the impact of fast food readily apparent in Germany?
7. Why does the author say that the "market" is a tool?
8. What percentage of the American population suffers a bout of food poisoning each year?
9. What is the scariest job performed by the late-night cleaning crew and why?
10. Why is the high turnover rate in the meatpacking industry not a concern for large companies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the culture in San Bernardino after World War II. Illustrate the dichotomy between the McDonald's philosophy and the presence of the Hell's Angels. What are the values of each? What are some of the trappings of each aspect of the culture?
Essay Topic 2
Who benefits from "conservation easements"? Why? What type of rancher faces the most economic difficulty in light of population growth and larger companies having captive supplies? Why? What other advantages do large companies have over smaller ranchers?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the life of the rancher has changed since the days of the Wild West. Ho does the impact of new ranching techniques and the development of big cattle companies affect ranching?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)