|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Companies from which country have bought Chrysler, Random House, and RCA Records?
2. What is the name of the "labor consultant" from New York City who meets with IBP and has close ties to La Cosa Nostra?
3. Who purchases IBP in this chapter?
4. What does the "knocker" use to shoot the live cattle in the head as they enter the building?
5. Which country's beef has a vastly lower rate of Salmonella than the U.S., at .01%?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the author, what is one of President George W. Bush's first acts in office?
2. Why do meatpacking workers routinely develop cumulative trauma disorders?
3. How does a friend of Jesus, a late-night cleaning crew member, react when he enters the rendering room and why?
4. Why does East German parliament member, Ernst Doerfler, call for a ban on McDonald's in East Germany?
5. How does World War I destroy the culture of Plauen, Germany?
6. What new production method developed by IBP causes skilled, unionized supermarket butchers to be fired?
7. What is the scariest job performed by the late-night cleaning crew and why?
8. Why is the high turnover rate in the meatpacking industry not a concern for large companies?
9. How does the McDonald's Corporation review Fast Food Nation?
10. How does the vegetarian community react when it is brought to light that there is a beef additive in the McDonald's french fries?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the plight of the Idaho potato farmer. How does the potato industry evolve in the twentieth century? Who are the major players involved in changing the potato industry? How does the development of potatoes into a bulk commodity affect the farmer?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the culture in San Bernardino after World War II. Illustrate the dichotomy between the McDonald's philosophy and the presence of the Hell's Angels. What are the values of each? What are some of the trappings of each aspect of the culture?
Essay Topic 3
What effect does Upton Sinclair's novel, The Jungle, have on the meat-packing industry? What is Sinclair's intended effect in writing the book? What type of legislation is passed as a result of his book's publication?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)