|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the 1920's, Plauen has the most millionaires in Germany and the most _____.
2. What are the apron and gloves made of that workers put on to protect themselves from knife wounds?
3. Chickens are regulated by what federal agency?
4. What is the term for how illegals are generally employed?
5. The annual bonuses of plant foremen and supervisors are often based on what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is grain-fed beef preferable to grass-fed beef?
2. How does World War I destroy the culture of Plauen, Germany?
3. Why do meatpacking workers routinely develop cumulative trauma disorders?
4. What was the most popular meat in America before World War II and why did that change?
5. What new production method developed by IBP causes skilled, unionized supermarket butchers to be fired?
6. How does a friend of Jesus, a late-night cleaning crew member, react when he enters the rendering room and why?
7. What are the main reasons that most migrant workers look for meatpacking jobs in America?
8. How do the problems McDonald's is having with expansion resemble those of the British Empire a century ago?
9. Why does the author say that the "market" is a tool?
10. According to anthropologist, Yunxiang Yan, what does McDonald's represent for Beijing customers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author compare the appearance of bacterium Escherichia coli O157:H7 to the outbreak of the AIDS virus? Include when each first appeared, its affects on its victims, and how each can lie dormant for years, and what conditions have made it possible for each to thrive.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the daily routine of Elisa Zamot, the sixteen-year-old described in the book who works at McDonald's. How is she like many other teenagers who work at McDonald's? Why does McDonald's hire teenagers? How is Elisa treated at work?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the life of the rancher has changed since the days of the Wild West. Ho does the impact of new ranching techniques and the development of big cattle companies affect ranching?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)