|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Arnold finishes the exhibition tour, what does he believe?
2. How many competitions must Arnold win to truly be considered as Mr. Universe?
3. What stimulates Arnold's enormous drive for success?
4. How long does Arnold spend in jail after being caught for being away without permission?
5. Who invites Arnold to a health and bodybuilding club in Munich?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part One, Chapter Five, why does Arnold believe it is his destiny to be successful?
2. How does Arnold console himself during his seven days in the Army jail?
3. Describe three things that Arnold learns after taking second place at Mr. Universe.
4. What are some of the criticisms leveled at Arnold by others in Graz during this teenage period of his early bodybuilding career?
5. Describe Arnold's reactions to his role as trainer at the Munich gym.
6. What does Arnold say about having a girlfriend in Munich in 1967?
7. In Part One, Chapter Four, what event adds stress to Arnold's daily workout routines in Munich?
8. Why is Arnold concerned about an upcoming event with Dennis Tinnerino?
9. After Arnold enters military service, he leaves his boot camp base without permission in order to compete in the Junior division of the Mr. Europe Junior contest. Describe your reaction to the risk that Arnold took.
10. What makes Arnold's parents change their minds about his choice of career?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With Barbara, Arnold enters into his first positive, longer term relationship with a woman in America. But after several years, she leaves him when she decides he isn't capable of being in a committed relationship.
Explain why you think Arnold is unable to make the compromises necessary to have a career and a rewarding relationship at the same time.
With the disappointment of the breakup, discuss what Arnold learns about relationships based on his two years with Barbara.
Do you see evidence later in the book that Arnold has used what he learned from this relationship in his future endeavors?
Essay Topic 2
After Arnold wins the 1970 Mr. Olympia competition in New York, he realizes that bodybuilding can become a vehicle for making money.
Discuss Arnold's motives for deciding to bring bodybuilding to the public and helping them understand the benefits.
At this point of his life, do you think he is being simply materialistic, or he is also being altruistic? Cite examples in the book, and discuss your reasons for your answer.
Essay Topic 3
When he arrives in Munich, Arnold is angry and disappointed once he realizes that Schneck expects Arnold to share his bed in exchange for the opportunity to manage his gym and be promoted.
Discuss what characteristics make Arnold willing to listen to Schneck, even after Arnold attempts to leave the house.
What values make it possible for Arnold to stick to his position? Further, explain why you believe that Arnold continues to work in the gym despite a poor interpersonal relationship with Schneck.
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)