|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the senior officers make Arnold a hero?
2. How many other Mr. Universe contests are sponsored by other bodybuilding federations?
3. What is Karl Gerstl's profession?
4. What will Arnold take advantage of to be successful in America?
5. What is Arnold brought back to do during his second Mr. Universe competition?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part One, Chapter Three, what brings Arnold to Munich after he completes his military service?
2. Describe three things that Arnold learns after taking second place at Mr. Universe.
3. What does Arnold decide to do with his mind during the period when he trains with Franco Columbu?
4. Describe the influence that Reg Park has on Arnold in his teenage bodybuilding days.
5. In Part One, Chapter Five, why does Arnold believe it is his destiny to be successful?
6. Why does Arnold find it difficult to learn the things he had planned to during the Mr. Universe contest?
7. What does Arnold decide to change once he begins training in America?
8. How does Arnold become the protégé of the bodybuilders in the gym in Graz when he is fifteen years old?
9. How does Arnold feel that he has grown after meeting Reg Park?
10. What is the result of Arnold's first training attempts at the gym in Graz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Arnold learns many lessons his first year in America under the tutelage of Joe Weider.
Describe the personality and work ethic traits that make it possible for Arnold to be successful with Joe.
Think about Arnold's early need for recognition, and then describe how his business relationship with Joe provides him with continued recognition.
Essay Topic 2
During Arnold's compulsory year of Austrian Army service, he considers the situation and then takes a risk to leave the base without permission in order to compete in the Mr. Europe Junior bodybuilding competition.
What factors from Arnold's upbringing and passion for bodybuilding do you think motivate Arnold to take this risk?
Why do you think that Arnold's winning trophy is sufficient to help him endure the seven days of confinement, and what does this say to you about Arnold's internal fortitude?
Essay Topic 3
By reading magazines, Arnold learns about notable bodybuilders. He especially idolizes Reg Park.
Describe the reasons why Reg initially appeals to Arnold. What is it about Reg that motivates Arnold to escalate his workouts to six times a week?
When Arnold finally meets Reg in 1967, why do you think he acts nervous and embarrassed? Why doesn't that seem to be a problem for Reg?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)