|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Arnold have to find different lodging arrangements in Munich?
2. After the Mr. Universe contest in London, for how many years has Arnold now trained?
3. How much does Arnold weigh at the end of his Army service?
4. What type of invitations does Arnold receive when he returns to Munich after the Mr. Universe contest in London?
5. What do Arnold's supporters do when he returns to Munich?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Arnold become the protégé of the bodybuilders in the gym in Graz when he is fifteen years old?
2. How does Arnold become addicted to bodybuilding as a sport?
3. How does Arnold finish out his year in the Army?
4. Describe three things that Arnold learns after taking second place at Mr. Universe.
5. After Arnold enters military service, he leaves his boot camp base without permission in order to compete in the Junior division of the Mr. Europe Junior contest. Describe your reaction to the risk that Arnold took.
6. To what activities does Wag Bennett introduce Arnold during his trip to London?
7. As a young teenage bodybuilder in Graz, what activities does Arnold undertake to learn more about the sport of bodybuilding?
8. How does Arnold console himself during his seven days in the Army jail?
9. Back in Munich, Arnold begins training with Franco Columbu, doing power lifting. How does this boost Arnold's confidence?
10. What is the result of Arnold's first training attempts at the gym in Graz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Arnold lays out an extensive, phased preparation program for new bodybuilders beginning weight training.
What bodybuilding career experiences make Arnold a believer in how weight training can benefit athletes in a wide variety of sports, as well as non-athletes?
Arnold discusses the fact that the three body types are not all ideal for bodybuilding, yet he still believes that anyone can persevere and win if sufficiently motivated and committed to training. What of Arnold's experiences help substantiate this? Provide examples from the book to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
While working with Wag Bennett in London, Wag tries to teach Arnold the value of using music during posing routines.
Provide your reasons why Arnold is so resistant to the use of music at first.
Given what you know about Arnold's personality and character traits, discuss reasons why Arnold has difficulty practicing his routines with music but is able to be wildly successful at the next event, an exhibition in London.
Essay Topic 3
With Barbara, Arnold enters into his first positive, longer term relationship with a woman in America. But after several years, she leaves him when she decides he isn't capable of being in a committed relationship.
Explain why you think Arnold is unable to make the compromises necessary to have a career and a rewarding relationship at the same time.
With the disappointment of the breakup, discuss what Arnold learns about relationships based on his two years with Barbara.
Do you see evidence later in the book that Arnold has used what he learned from this relationship in his future endeavors?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)