|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bourdain, what does good cooking and good eating involve?
2. What does the role of the line cook require?
3. What kind of food does the restaurant where Bourdain worked in the summer serve?
4. Why does Bourdain advise against eating at brunch buffets?
5. According to Bourdain, what are most line cooks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where and when does Bourdain's love affair with food begin?
2. What is Working Progress?
3. Describe Bourdain's experience at the restaurant Rick's Cafe.
4. Who are Gianni Scappin and Pino Luongo?
5. What tasks must Bourdain deal with as executive chef at Coco Pazzo Teatro?
6. What are some word substitutions used in the kitchen?
7. What is Bourdain's opinion of Adam?
8. According to Bourdain, what will determine a person's success in the kitchen?
9. What is the role of the runner and night porter in a restaurant?
10. What kinds of workers are hired for the line cook position?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Bourdain's time at the Culinary Institute of America. What is his opinion of the program? What does he learn during his time there?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss some of the tips and hints that Bourdain tells the customer. For instance, what are the best days to eat in a restaurant and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Bourdain's writing style in Kitchen Confidential. In what way is the text informal? Why would Bourdain choose to write in this style? How does the writing style relate to the content of the book?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)