|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the wedding cake that Bourdain and Dimitri make?
2. What kind of food does the restaurant where Bourdain worked in the summer serve?
3. What does the role of the line cook require?
4. According to Bourdain, what is just as critical as a cook's knives?
5. How does Bourdain approach food after his family vacation in France?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bourdain do after his first year at the CIA?
2. How does Bourdain's day begin as the executive chef at Brasserie Les Halles?
3. What facet of being a chef does Bourdain despise the most?
4. Describe the chef of Mario's.
5. How has Bourdain changed since his time before the CIA?
6. What sort of worker does Bourdain value most?
7. What are some examples of prerequisites for a chef's preparation, according to Bourdain?
8. Where and when does Bourdain's love affair with food begin?
9. Who is Luis?
10. What new foods does Bourdain eat in France?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is creative non-fiction? Discuss the elements of the genre and why Kitchen Confidential is an example of it.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Bourdain's time at the Culinary Institute of America. What is his opinion of the program? What does he learn during his time there?
Essay Topic 3
Describe what it is like to work in a kitchen, according to Bourdain. What are the types of roles in a kitchen? What is the atmosphere like in the kitchen? What is cook-talk? What type of person is best suited for working in a kitchen environment?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)