|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the needs of infants at this stage is for ________, usually provided by the parents.
2. According to the book, the ______ infant was thought to be connected to the social world.
3. What type of psychology has NOT neglected the story of intersubjective relatedness, according to Stern?
4. New stages of development create _____ senses of self such as with newly acquired behaviors and capabilities.
5. _________ involves the recall or recognition of invariants for the infant, according to the research.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does research show about infants and the experience of intersubjective stages in others, according to the content of the book?
2. What is the observed view of infancy, a dialogue that continues throughout the book?
3. Why don't the two core selves of an infant get confused, according to the research of Stern?
4. What are parts of the subjective experience in the Self with Other, according to Stern?
5. What does Stern believe is part of the reason for infants responding to parental behavior, according to the content of the book?
6. What are the four different senses that are involved in the sense of core self, according to the content of the book?
7. What happens as a result of infants having a central disposition to create and test the hypotheses of the world?
8. What are fusion like experiences dependent on, according to Stern in his findings about infants?
9. How can a person begin to understand the experience of the social self, according to Stern?
10. What have a number of revolutions in collecting information done for the study of infants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to the book, during a certain time period, a child begins to see themselves objectively in the world.
Part 1: Why is it possible for a child to see themselves objectively?
Part 2: Do you think it's easy to see a child objectively in this world?
Part 3: How do you think you do in terms of seeing your own self objectively? Can you?
Essay Topic 2
By attuning to others, an infant is better able to learn language and other lessons, according to the findings of Stern.
Part 1: Why do you think that infants learn language better through attunement?
Part 2: Do you think humans could survive without attunement?
Part 3: How do you think attunement helps you out in your life today?
Essay Topic 3
In this book, it seems that Stern believes infants have a strong sense of their core self when in social situations.
Part 1: Does it seem possible for infants to have a sense of core self?
Part 2: How do you define your core self?
Part 3: Why do you think many people feel they don't understand a sense of core self?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)