|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Stern notes there is some evidence from _________ research to support the view that emotional states have an important organizing role.
2. The infant always has some, at least rudimentary, sense of ____________, according to Stern in his findings and research.
3. Once a child's ________ year of life begins, their language skills improve and begin to be a part of their experience.
4. Stern would like his work to serve as a _______ for clinical practice and for family life as a whole.
5. The process of ___________ and separation is not stage-specific but is ongoing throughout a life, as the self/other barrier is always being negotiated.
6. At times, search strategies and certain therapeutic approaches cause therapists to overemphasize some problems in _______, while ignoring others.
7. With language, the self and the ________ can now relate in an enormous number of ways and with shared varied meanings.
8. What is NOT one of the three different qualities that can be matched in the process of affect attunement?
(c) Shape of behavior.
9. The experience of the answer in #140 might be felt as the dissolution of the core sense of ________.
10. Self psychology, according to Stern, offers the most ________ value when it suggests search strategies that help construct life narratives.
11. The nature of therapy will be best determined by which domain of __________ is most affected in the patient.
12. The attunements between a mother and a child can be cross-__________, or crossing many different sensory practices.
13. Stern seeks to describe the development of the infant's sense of __________ in this book.
14. Stern sees the sharing of ________ states as the most important and the most clinically observable aspect of intersubjective relatedness.
15. Children can begin to see themselves in a mirror, showing that they can now begin to see themselves ___________.
Short Answer Questions
1. By considering new experimental findings, Stern can begin to infer the _________ experience of the sense of self.
2. Stern states that affect attunement is a form of __________, rather than something else entirely.
3. Just as ________ develop, according to Stern, so must the theories about what they experience and who they are.
4. In Stern's mind, psychopathology should be seen as manifesting in a continuum of pattern ______________.
5. _________ in theories of developmental origin, according to Stern, should be maintained.
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)