|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The period of __________ of each sense of self is probably a sensitive period and should be focused on in therapy, according to Stern.
2. The book states that affect attunement might truly have something to do with a process of ____________, which many mothers appear to be able to do.
(a) Active attunement.
(c) Sacred touch.
3. Regulation through the Freudian notion of the _______ is always present, according to Stern's findings.
4. With language, the self and the ________ can now relate in an enormous number of ways and with shared varied meanings.
5. An infant's ability to tolerate stimulation or regulate arousal may be linked to _________ disorders later in life, according to Stern.
6. Infants must understand the idea of __________, or their execution of the act and the ability to change between the two realities.
7. Experimenters believe that ________ affects and vitality affects are attuned to, but perhaps primarily, vitality affects.
8. The sense of a core self is built out of patterns of __________ which maintain themselves in an equilibrium that becomes a sense of self.
9. Non-__________ is a situation in which the infant is unable to engage in an attunement of affect, as in the case of being around a mentally unstable person.
10. Stern notes there is some evidence from _________ research to support the view that emotional states have an important organizing role.
11. Stern begins to discuss how the client and patient should reconstruct an effective _________ about the past.
12. At this stage of development, infants become emotionally responsive to the perceptions of the _________ states of others.
13. Children can begin to see themselves in a mirror, showing that they can now begin to see themselves ___________.
14. _____________ are forms of non-localized distresses and can cause ongoing functions required to maintain social states to fail.
(a) Primary learnings.
(b) Primitive agonies.
(c) Primary discords.
(d) Access inputs.
15. Stern says that more __________ is needed since the ideas he presents in this book are merely hypotheses.
(c) Infant case studies.
Short Answer Questions
1. The attunements between a mother and a child can be cross-__________, or crossing many different sensory practices.
2. Once a child's ________ year of life begins, their language skills improve and begin to be a part of their experience.
3. However, other researchers have found that infants have optimum levels of __________ that they will seek and other levels they will avoid.
4. Experimenters have found that the attunement process often occurs beyond ___________, as found from speaking with and researching mothers.
5. Sometimes equilibria form, but require a lot of ________ from others to maintain , according to Stern's findings.
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)