|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From birth to two months of age, the _____ is employed to relate diverse experiences, affects, perceptions and events.
(a) Sense of an indulgent self.
(b) Sense of an emergent self.
(c) Sense of an divergent self.
(d) Sense of a constricted self.
2. Stern asserts that there are some elements of the sense of self that exist prior to language use including all of the following except ______.
(a) Physical cohesion.
(b) Sense of agency.
(c) Temporary continuity.
(d) Permanent continuity.
3. Primary psychological needs for __________, according to Stern, may also play a role in the emergence of intersubjectivity.
4. A distinct sense of being with the historical other over time generates a sense of an evoked _______ where a particular person is schematized.
5. In the first eight weeks of life, Stern believes that infants form a sense of a/an ______ self.
6. According to the book, Stern focuses on the sense of self because it can generate a/an ________ pattern of awareness.
7. Stern's developmental approach is seen to mirror most closely that of Mahler and ______.
8. The book claims that subjective infant experience can be ascertained through the study of ______.
(b) Healthy infant development.
9. Agency, coherence, affectivity, and continuity must be __________ within the infant and memory may provide the answer.
10. The subjective self opens a domain of intersubjective relatedness which builds on the __________ self.
11. From 6-9 months of age, infants begin to consolidate a core sense of self that is no longer ______.
12. During the sense of a core self stage, the infant has a more wholly integrated mode of _______.
(a) Social interaction.
(b) Physical interaction.
(c) Scholastic interaction.
(d) Mental interaction.
13. ________ are formed as a result of the repeat events, of the repeat lived experiences that infants experience.
14. In Chapter Two, Stern makes a distinction between the _______ infant and the observed infant.
15. The third organizing perspective produces a ______ during which time language points to knowledge of self.
(a) Domain of psychological relatedness.
(b) Domain of resource relatedness.
(c) Domain of physical relatedness.
(d) Domain of verbal relatedness.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the needs of infants at this stage is for ________, usually provided by the parents.
2. Experiences of being with an other are active acts of _________ which come about due to the active integration process.
3. There have been several revolutions in _______ that have enabled the formation of new experimental paradigms.
4. Stern believes the _______ to have intersubjectivity is something that must develop as a result of maturation.
5. According to Stern, the sense of the emergent self has ______ main parts that participate.
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)