|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Hanh, what happens to anger when one pounds a pillow?
(a) It becomes more intense.
(b) It is negated.
(c) It subsides temporarily.
(d) It subsides completely.
2. In which river did the author wash his face?
(a) The Charles River.
(b) The Nile River.
(c) The Ohio River.
(d) The Mississippi River.
3. What connection is made to one's parents as one looks in a mirror?
(a) One's own failings are similar to those of the parents.
(b) The love one feels for the parents.
(c) The gifts from the parents of body, mind, and spirit.
(d) The gift of continuity passed on by one's parents.
4. According to Hanh in "The River of Feelings", how many types of feelings do humans experience throughout life?
(d) Infinitely many.
5. What happens when one mindfully recognizes anger?
(a) Anger changes to a solution.
(b) Anger changes to love.
(c) Anger loses its power.
(d) Anger changes to compassion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Hanh give for the abuse of children at their own parents' hands?
2. What do positive seeds produce?
3. What can happen when one observes parents with compassion?
4. What is the basis for real strength when one tries to make a change in the world?
5. In "Transforming Feelings", who/what is analogous to emotion?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the article "Investing in Friends" demonstrate Hanh's teaching on achieving world peace?
2. How is Hanh's Buddhist faith reintroduced in "Internal Formations"? What is a common analogy to this teaching?
3. What lesson does Hanh teach the reader in "Mindfulness Must be Engaged"?
4. What counting analogy could be compared to Hanh's breathing mindfully when one feels anger rising?
5. What theme is expressed in "Look into Your Hand"? Following the theme's message, why should one never feel lonely?
6. In "The Art of Mindful Living" Hanh remarks again about environmental issues. How can mindful living help environmental efforts?
7. What effect does conscious breathing have on a hug? Why?
8. Why should one meditate on an individual who has caused personal pain?
9. After calming an unpleasant feeling, what two additional steps should be taken to insure that the negative emotion is eradicated completely?
10. According to Hanh, how should an individual treat parents concerning their mistakes?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)